What to do in rain in vancouver!!!

I've looked at the long range forecast ..this week GORgEOUS as of Sunday till WED RAIN!!!!! :( :( :( :( :( our 3 days in Vancouver

What can we do in VANCOUVER in the rain that will not get us too wet .I have a jacket and stuff but what could we visit without getting soaked.Is Stanley Park out?

If we concentrated on shopping ...WHERE? How to get there?

Is it pishy rain on or off or nonstop downpour/

Thanks for advice

First, *breathe*....do not panic about the long-range forecast. It will likely change before you get here. And, if it does rain, do not despair. You won't see an all-day downpour because it rarely happens here in Vancouver, especially in the summer. It will likely be just a bit of showers, which will really not prevent you from doing anything you would have done in the sunshine (well, maybe except for laying on the beach getting a tan).

But, if it does end up raining, just take an umbrella and your rain jacket, and you should be fine. You can still do Stanley Park and it will be nice. I actually like the park even when it is showering a bit because it is quieter and just more peaceful (even on the seawall). (I am one of those people who frequent Stanley Park more in the fall/winter than the summer.)

As for shopping, you can head to indoors to Pacific Centre (it is anchored by The Bay and Sears).

If you've got a few hours to kill in the rain, check out one of the museums.

Science World http://scienceworld.bc.ca/

Vancouver Art Gallery http://www.vanartgallery.bc.ca/

Vancouver Aquarium http://www.vanaqua.org/home/

UBC Museum of Anthropology http://www.moa.ubc.ca/

Maritime Museum http://www.vancouvermaritimemuseum.com/

I'm sure there are more as well.

Thanks for reassuring me .We had a typical Montreal summer downpour yesterday .My 2 boys had to bail our garage while we were out stateside.WE got 4 inches of rain neighbours got 10 inches .Where we were in NY state it POURED buckets.Thank heaven my boys reacted well and took care of the problem .Another neighbour's roof leaked like crazy

NO FUN!!!!

Our weather has been YUCKY do far this summer

My hair is the barometric pressure measure ..I regularly look like a fuzz ball it is so Humid. I have learned to no longer try to fight my curls.In summer they are here to stay

Vancouver on Sunday ...I could really use a little sun ....

:) :) :) :) :)

Michele

Michele - you should see the Sun on Sunday and early next week is a chance of showers - we just had the driest and warmest June in 40 years and it is sunny and warming up as I am typing this post.

Cheers

Dennis

Just relax... rain is no longer in the forecast as it was when you wrote your original post. It has been warm and dry here and the forecast for the coming days is much of the same, perhaps just a few clouds.

Vancouver is fabulous whatever the weather; please don't let it get you down, or let it change your plans. :)

THANK you VANCOUVERITES for your words of encouragement

I am really looking forward to going to western Canada ...Imagine that NO BORDER OR CUSTOMS at the airport ...all time first!!!!!

I will also be spending loonies and toonies ..and no exchange to worry about .....at least for 3 days!!! ;) :) :) :) :)

I think I have it well planned

Next question ...fish restaurant where? preferably not too expensive

WE love grilled fish ..I figure Vancouver ought to be the place GREEK restaurant ????

We are stating at PLAZA 500 ..What restaurants -family type are there and how far ?

I plan Queen Elizabeth Park for SundayI believe it is not too far

Michele

THANK you VANCOUVERITES for your words of encouragement

I am really looking forward to going to western Canada ...Imagine that NO BORDER OR CUSTOMS at the airport ...all time first!!!!!

I will also be spending loonies and toonies ..and no exchange to worry about .....at least for 3 days!!! ;) :) :) :) :)

I think I have it well planned

WE love grilled fish ..I figure Vancouver ought to be the place GREEK restaurant ????

We are stating at PLAZA 500 ..What restaurants -family type are there and how far ?

I plan Queen Elizabeth Park for SundayI believe it is not too far

Michele

Hi Michele,

We, too, were worried about the upcoming weather as we leave this coming Sunday. Whatever it is, we shall don our waterproof jackets and carry on !:)

You were asking about a Fish Restaurant. We are planning on going to the Fish House in Stanley Park. I haven't been so can't comment on the food but the menu looks good and it's near a HOHO stop.

http://www.fishhousestanleypark.com/

Have a great trip. May the weather Gods be smiling upon us!

For general family fare there is a White Spot across the street from your hotel - http://www.whitespot.ca

There are lots of restaurants along the Broadway Corridor which is what we called the area around your hotel - Cactus club, Earls, are two other chains that have stores in the area.

One course there are Starbucks, Wendy's, McDonalds and of course Tim Horton's there as well

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

My hair is the barometric pressure measure ..I regularly look like a fuzz ball it is so Humid. I have learned to no longer try to fight my curls.

LOL! I know what you mean. We travelled from Ottawa all the way to Newfoundland and back one summer and the humidity was a killer. Not as bad as some countries near the equator, though, but bad enough. Good news: Vancouver rarely gets humid, so no worries about fuzzball hair.

Seafood restaurants abound in Vancouver, and as someone mentioned, the Fish House in Stanley Park is one of them. You'll also find some in Granville Island, and quite a few downtown. I don't know if the prices most of these places charge for seafood is that attractive for the budget-conscious, though. Maybe the concierge at the Plaza 500 can recommend some places closer to your hotel (I am not that familiar with the Cambie corridor for west coast seafood, bit know of Chinese Seafood restaurants in the area).

Regarding Greek food, you are in luck. You are a short bus ride away from Vancouver's main Greek area in Kitsilano. There are many Greek restaurants you can try near West Broadway - 2 I can think of are Athene's (on W Broadway) and Candia (on W 10th), which are both inexpensive and good. And then there's also Apollonia, which is on Fir between W 2nd and W 3rd, but I do not know how easy it is to get there from your hotel using public transit. If you are downtown, you can go to Stepho's on Davie. It's inexpensive for the amount of food you get, but not as good as some other ones out there, but it is good enough (I do take out there some nights when we do not feel like cooking). You won't find grilled fish there, though, and the line-ups are always long. Otherwise, you can try Taki's next door to Stepho's. You'll pay a bit more, but at least you won't have to line up, and the food's also a bit better.

Archived