UA plans to shift credit card fees to T/A's ...

pms4104

Some airlines already charge a credit card fee.

BA & BMI charge a "credit card fee" for UK cardholders, although it is fixed, but IMO it is another garbage fee. BA's have inched up since it was introduced a few years back, but the one thing that annoyed me was if you paid using the co-branded BA Amex card they still hit you for it. When I bought tickets on BMI they didn't assess the fee when I used their co-branded Mastercard.

It'd be nice for United to waive the fee for their Chase United MP cardholders.

Some airlines already charge a credit card fee.

BA & BMI charge a "credit card fee" for UK cardholders, although it is fixed, but IMO it is another garbage fee. BA's have inched up since it was introduced a few years back, but the one thing that annoyed me was if you paid using the co-branded BA Amex card they still hit you for it. When I bought tickets on BMI they didn't assess the fee when I used their co-branded Mastercard.

It'd be nice for United to waive the fee for their Chase United MP cardholders.

I think UA's new policy carries a host of implications. It isn't just that the consumer will end up paying more $$$ if using a credit card thru their T/A. If the T/A does not pay UA $75 to process thru ARC ... then, will the T/A process the cc on behalf of its agency rather than the airline and then pay UA by cash/wire transfer? Wouldn't that also shift responsibility off UA? For instance, UA liquidates or goes into another bankruptcy ... is there any consumer protection for those who bought tix with cc payable to their T/A?

UA's move is more than a move to shift cc handling fees to improve its bottom line. Also, if the other legacies don't follow suit, UA likely will rescind their newest money-grubbing plot. So, perhaps the announcement is a trial balloon to see if the concept will/won't fly.

Archived