Has ANYONE used a tour guide in Hong Kong?

Coastaljen

I know I keep reading how it is very easy to do that port on your own. At the same time, I know that was also true in Buenos Aires, and yet I saw sooo much more by hiring a private guide from the area to show me the area. We literally walked nonstop for l0 hours, and it was phenomenal. Plus, I was able to see everything I wanted to see.

I have never been to Hong Kong, and I have one day there.

Has anyone hired a guide there? I have searched the board and it appears nobody does that or they don't post. I found one link, and it is no longer working.

Thanks

I know I keep reading how it is very easy to do that port on your own. At the same time, I know that was also true in Buenos Aires, and yet I saw sooo much more by hiring a private guide from the area to show me the area. We literally walked nonstop for l0 hours, and it was phenomenal. Plus, I was able to see everything I wanted to see.

I have never been to Hong Kong, and I have one day there.

Has anyone hired a guide there? I have searched the board and it appears nobody does that or they don't post. I found one link, and it is no longer working.

Thanks

Hope this helps, went on the Sapphire in 2007, used private guides for all ports. If you need more info for other ports contact me at alanmal@aol.com

Hong Kong: polly@asiatravel.com Polly

• 2 weeks later...
if you google 'hong kong private tour' you will find a lot. they are VERY expensive - $50 to $60 bucks per hour. i won't be using one.

This is why it it better to get a recommendation from a CCer than just doing a Google search. First hand recommendations from theses boards have assisted us to have reasonably priced wonderful excursions all over the world.

i'll likely use the hop-on-hop-off bus. it is only 37 US, which include the r/t ticket to victoria peak.

If there is a HOHO bus, I won't need a guide. That works for me. I haven't spent time yet researching Hong Kong, so thanks for letting me know about it.

This is why it it better to get a recommendation from a CCer than just doing a Google search. First hand recommendations from theses boards have assisted us to have reasonably priced wonderful excursions all over the world.

and this brought what to the conversation? i don't see a recommendation. i offered 2 alternatives since the OP wasn't getting any responses.

and this brought what to the conversation? i don't see a recommendation. i offered 2 alternatives since the OP wasn't getting any responses.

upontheCs,

I was agreeing with your post about the expensive Google search guides. After I posted, you provided a great tip for me that I was not aware of. Is there something wrong with this kind of post? I like to thank people when they give good recommendations.

Hi - In February, while waiting for hubby to get fitted for a custom made suit, I struck up a conversation with a fellow who drove a cab. He was waiting for his "fare" to get fitted. He offered us a half day tour for the next day, I think it was about 5 hours. Here's what we got for around $100 Canadian.

He met us the next morning at the pier near the ship, drove us over to Hong Kong Island through the tunnel, drove up to the top of Victoria Peak, and then let us take the tram down and he met us at the bottom. We went to a pier where he got us to the front of the line and put us on a private long boat and we toured the people living on boats in the harbour. We went to Stanley Market, Repulse Bay and toured a high end neighbourhood. We saw plenty and really felt we got our money worth for what we saw. We got dropped back to the ship around 1:30pm. We did not pay until we were back at the port.

There is a holding area with cabs just outside the port, easy to see and many have maps that you can pick your route and discuss a price.

Judi

• 3 weeks later...

There is a HOHO bus in HK. Goes on both sides of the Harbour and there is also a night tour offered. It is on the webb but I am at work and don't have the web site. It is the same company that offers the HOHO bus in London. they have a map that shows the route where is goes. It is roughly 37.00/24 hrs...The night tour is separate. It sounds great.:D

• 2 weeks later...

I am from HK and I can help. But I need to know what you are looking for. What would you like to see, what would you like to eat, where would you like to shop, what are you looking to buy...etc.

The HOHO Bus is called "The Big Bus Company" in Hong Kong. The link is here: http://www.bigbustours.com/eng/hongkong/default.aspx

Actually everything on Hong Kong Island is quite compact and you can see Lang Kwai Fong and the business district on foot. You can arrive in Central from Tsim Sha Tsui by Star Ferry, HK$2.2 (upper deck, don't go lower deck it is very hot.)

If you want to visit Wanchai you can take a tram, HK$2. From Wanchai pier you can take the Star Ferry back to Tsim Sha Tsui, HK$2.2 (upper deck).

The Peak is accessible by Peak Tram. There is a bus from Central pier to the Peak Tram station on Garden Road. Bus no. 15C.

Stanley Market can be reached from bus terminus at Exchange Square, 5 min walk from Central pier. Bus no. 6, 6A, 6X, 64, 66.

Repulse Bay also from the same terminus, bus no. 61.

The Jumbo floating restaurant is at Deep Bay near Wong Chuk Hang. Same terminus: Bus no. 70 or 75.

For Ocean Park, take the MTR or tram to Admiralty station, there is a bus-entry ticket package available at the station, just follow the signs.

Guest Ivenia

Hi Jude -- Would you mind telling me where your hubby got fitted for his custom made suit - and how happy he was with the results? Thank you in advance.

Mary

• 3 weeks later...

The best suit I ever owned I bought on Peking RD in Kowloon, HK at Pete's Fashions, on the 3rd floor in the Meto Pole Bldg at 57 Peking Rd. I had to return for 2 or 3 fittings but they had it finished withing 24 hours of my first visit. Excellent custom made, with my name sewn in the inner pocket like my own private label. It is a small place but very efficient. They ship it back to the US for no extra charge. They come to the US once or twice a year and you can get follow-up purchases as they keep your measurement on file. Warn your hubby that the Chinese like their clothes form fitting, so if there is any change he might gain a pound or two later he should insist that it be loose fitting.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with everything Angsa recommended, except I would say don't bother with the buses, if you only have one day. The other public transport she recommended, the tram and the Peak Tram, are great. The Peak Tram, especially, is not to be missed. If you are stuck for time, take the tram up to the Peak and then taxi to the South Side (Repulse Bay for lunch, Stanley for Shopping). The Star Ferry is also a Hong Kong institution (if you are coming from Kowloon - where are you docked?) Taxis are very easy in Hong Kong, all drivers speak English and you won't be ripped off.

If you have just one day, stay on the Island, don't mess with Kowloon (unless you need to get that suit made!)

• 4 weeks later...

Frankie,

I was on a cruise and somehow missed your post before I reread this thread today. We have a roll call going. I don't remember if you joined, but if not, go under roll calls and pull up the one for this specific cruise.

After rereading this thread, I am going to do the peak and Stanley Market on my own.

Archived