Is my credit card "Gold" insurance adequate.

The travel agent that we used to book our cruise keeps insisting that we need the cancellation insurance that she is offering.

We have the "Gold Total Travel Protection" that we pay an annual fee for on our credit card. It covers trip cancellation and trip interruption. We also have the "out of country medical coverage".

Is this enough, or do we really need more? She says we have to get it now, but we don't travel for 8 months, can't we take a little time to review the coverage we already have and see if it is sufficient?

Our cruise only cost $990 for the two of us, and she is telling me that the cancellation insurance she is recommending will cost $120.

That is more than 12% of the cost of the cruise - seems a little high to me. Does anyone have any advice?

I assume the travel agents earn a decent commission by selling policies, and they seem motivated to sell them. There were recent news stories about poor some of the "trip protection plans." Evidently some companies avoid calling it "insurance" because they do not want the oversight and rules that insurance companies bear. If you decide you want a policy, you may want to do some reading.

Personally, we decline the insurance from the cruise line and agent. We have an annual international medical and evacuation policy. If we must cancel, we are willing to eat the cost. The money we have saved declining insurance would add up to more than one trip by now.

I assume the travel agents earn a decent commission by selling policies, and they seem motivated to sell them. There were recent news stories about poor some of the "trip protection plans." Evidently some companies avoid calling it "insurance" because they do not want the oversight and rules that insurance companies bear. If you decide you want a policy, you may want to do some reading.

Personally, we decline the insurance from the cruise line and agent. We have an annual international medical and evacuation policy. If we must cancel, we are willing to eat the cost. The money we have saved declining insurance would add up to more than one trip by now.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I find that insurance has become very costly these days and I feel the same way - if we had to cancel, well so be it. The money is not really a huge amount.

You can purchase where ever you want but you don't purchase to secure cost of your cruise. You purchase because if you have to be medi-vac'd off that ship it's a cost of about $20K. The reason your agent is asking for payment now is because if you don't purchase within about 14 days of your first deposit your pre-existing conditions will be excluded. I know this because I have liver disease and I can't afford to not take the insurance within the 14 day period. Your credit card insurance may cover it but you really should check your limits etc.

Archived