Cabo Restaurant

star gazer

What kind of food, price range, etc. There are so many choices in Cabo. budget, moderate, fancy. Mexican, Italian, Seafood, on the beach, etc.

We are meeting a couple for lunch from the ship and want a moderate seafood place near the Tesoro.

Thanks

We are meeting a couple for lunch from the ship and want a moderate seafood place near the Tesoro.

Thanks

Easy to do. Can't really believe I'm helping a Dodgers Fan, but then again, I've even helped a Cubs fan here as well. Padres are going to be in a tough state for awhile as they rebuild. We gave up our 1/2 season tickets (we'd had for 10 years) this year. They need to learn how to score runs before I'll spend money. Just too boring to watch 1 or 2 run games, all the time.

Back to seafood. The Tesoro is centrally located right on the marina. Out front of the Tesoro and across the main drag is a one way street (heading away) called Miguel Hidalgo. It is also know as restaurant row. Walk up Hidalgo a couple of blocks and there are 2 places on the left hand side. The first is called "Maro's Shrimp House" and it has gotten very good reviews. The next place on the left side is called "Crazy Lobster" and it is very good as well. So either place is good.

A note about seafood and Cabo. The lobster in Cabo is good, but it is not "Maine Lobster". It is pacific ocean brown spiny lobster. I think the tourist price has gotten a little out of line with it's overall quality but I'm really not a lobster person. My personal opinion is that the best seafood in Cabo is Red Snapper or Shrimp. People rave about the shrimp at Maro's. My favorite seafood in Cabo is whole red snapper cooked right on the grill. Note, this is not a fillet or a steak cut but the whole fish (head, tail, everything) cooked right on the grill. Take it from a baseball fan, this is one fantastic meal (just look past the head and tail part). I've had this at Crazy Lobster and it is very good. My (current) favorite place to get Red Snapper is Mocambo's but that is several blocks further away. Either of the first 2 places I've mentioned will be just fine.

Another note. Tesoro is also very close to 2 other restaurants right on the marina walk. "Solomon's Landing" and "Baja Cantina". Both of these are also good, but not a "pure" seafood house. They will have a wider variety of choices/styles. Solomon's Landing is also a great place for people watching as the cruise tourists walk by.

Here are a couple of useful links. For the map one - switch to satellite view and then zoom and drag to see all the restaurants & details. The Tesoro will be shown with a yellow house as a marker.

http://helmbrechtsonline.com/Cabo/Cabo_Dining_Trapper.html

Not my list, but this is the one I use. It is originally from "Trapper" on the Cabo forum board on TripAdvisor.

Here is the map link - remember to switch to satellite view & zoom/drag.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=117507766909545303634.00045243dd2395b8ab23a

SDPadreFan,

"Easy to do. Can't really believe I'm helping a Dodgers Fan, but then again, I've even helped a Cubs fan here as well. Padres are going to be in a tough state for awhile as they rebuild."

Help is coming, you have the second coming with Tony Gwinn Jr. and he is batting 305.

Again, thank you for the restaurants and good luck to the Padres.

BTW, do you know the story behind that mansion that sits on top of the tall building downtown? I call the owner of that home, 'King of Downtown SD.'

SDPadreFan,

"Easy to do. Can't really believe I'm helping a Dodgers Fan, but then again, I've even helped a Cubs fan here as well. Padres are going to be in a tough state for awhile as they rebuild."

Help is coming, you have the second coming with Tony Gwinn Jr. and he is batting 305.

Again, thank you for the restaurants and good luck to the Padres.

BTW, do you know the story behind that mansion that sits on top of the tall building downtown? I call the owner of that home, 'King of Downtown SD.'

Don't know which building you are speaking of. I know John Moores has a house on top of the Omni Hotel. I think it is fairly common for the builder (main investor) of any residential tower/hotel to build his own home on the top couple of floors. I'm not sure if the same is true for business type buildings but it could be there as well.

Tony Gwynn, Jr. is a real enigma. He didn't do crap in Milwaukee for the last couple of years. They gave him multiple chances to earn his spot and he kept getting sent back to the minors until he ran out of "options". He cleared waivers because nobody wanted him in late April. Then in May, the Padres trade for him. Now all of a sudden, he's playing like a big time ball player and batting .305 - hard to figure.

Archived