US Visa - Help!

jeanlyon

Hi - we want to do a cruise to the States. My husband has a new passport so is OK to do Visa Waiver, but mine was issued in December 2005, is machine readable, but doesn't have a digital photograph.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you get a visa? I can't believe you have to visit the flaming Embassy to get one.

Maybe it's easier to get a new passport?

Jean:mad:

Hi Jean,

As far as I am aware, all UK passports should meet the USA visa waiver requirements. Does your passport have the little chip embedded in it? The requirement is as follows (from the ESTA help page)

Machine-readable passports issued or renewed/extended on or after 10/26/05 through 10/25/06 must meet the following requirements. A digital photograph printed on the passport data page is required OR an integrated chip containing information from the data page (e-passport). A digital photo is one that is printed on the page, not a photo that is glued or laminated into the passport

The ESTA site is

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html?_flowExecutionKey=_c84A34A9C-8ECE-0DD2-1429-49996C616B59_kA2D1AEA4-F767-D8F5-682A-CF34F9D7FEF5

Brian

My passport was issued in 2001 and I got into Houston last year with it fine, Jean. Don't forget to fill in ESTA before you go and print it off.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html?_flowExecutionKey=_c96EE33BA-29E1-0F50-C318-A90903F6BF59_kD6766870-CC04-165B-C498-539E998ECD02

You may have to fill in the form on the ship/plane still but the immigration in the US will not be allowing that for much longer, the online approval version is taking over and once filled in and you are accepted into the country, it lasts for 2 years. If you then go back at anytime, you use the reference number issued at the end of the online procedure to update information such as new passport number, address etc.

Hi there. My passport was issued in December 2005 and it says those issued between October 2005 and October 2006 must have a digital photograph, not one that is laminated. Mine is laminated. So it's no good.

Hi there. My passport was issued in December 2005 and it says those issued between October 2005 and October 2006 must have a digital photograph, not one that is laminated. Mine is laminated. So it's no good.

Mine is laminated right across the page, Jean, and I have never had any problems with it at all, not even going to the US last year :o

I don't see why Jean, there are thousands of British passport holders with laminated passports who travel to the US every day, I honestly cannot see them all being forced to change them just because they are laminated. There would be a right old furore if they did....and you would see all sorts of complaints about it on boards like this too.

:o

Really? - Well that makes a mockery of what they say in the regs. That's good news indeed. I do have the readable passport, but don't see a chip anywhere.

Mine doesn't have a chip, but it is machine readable...all those dashes and <<<>>>> at the bottom (side) is what they read in the machines. As long as it has that, you are home free.

Here is what it says

Effective July 1, 2009, all Visa Waiver Program (VWP) emergency or temporary passports must be electronic passports (e-Passports) to be eligible for travel to the United States under the VWP. This includes VWP applicants who present emergency or temporary passports to transit the United States

some UK passport issued between October 2005 and October 2006 that are machine readable, but must have a digital photograph, ie one that is not laminated.

Grrrr

The passport requirements for VWP applicants who are nationals of these 27 countries:

Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany*, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom:

October 26, 2005 – Passports issued prior to this date must be machine-readable.

October 26, 2005 – Passports issued on or after this date must have a digital photo.

October 26, 2006 – Passports issued on or after this date must be an e-Passport.

An alternative to these requirements is to apply for a nonimmigrant visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate.

Jean, if you open your passport to the information/photo page, that is laminated, it should look like this...the machine readable part runs down the right hand margin and consists of <<<>>> fingures and letters...

You will get a passport with a chip in the cover when your current machine readable one runs out, just as I will when mine goes in 2011 since mine was produsced in 2001. Machine readable passports have been in print since 1991, so yours will be fine, so no worries :)

machineread.jpg.dfc77ee31e3a41848d12bdb2c4c5cc83.jpg

I fall into that second category and mine is not a digital photograph. I'm stuck :-(

Best ask someone in the travel industry or just email the US Embassy or British Passport Office for clarification. Print out the reply for future reference.

Ally - you are OK, but I am not. Those issued before 2005 are OK.

October 26, 2005 – Passports issued on or after this date must have a digital photo.

I think I will wait and just get a new passport if we decide to do a Stateside cruise. It's far simpler than getting a full visa. Same information in the new P&O brochure - what a flaming nuisance.

Ally - you are OK, but I am not. Those issued before 2005 are OK.

I think I will wait and just get a new passport if we decide to do a Stateside cruise. It's far simpler than getting a full visa. Same information in the new P&O brochure - what a flaming nuisance.

Thankfully I won't be going over to the US again now...since no itineraries either starting or finishing there interest me that much. I have a similar visa situation for next year but with India, no getting around it so going to have to bite the proverbial and get it organised after Christmas. The only bind is that it will be a 6 month visa for 5 days/3 ports of call, but still a small price to pay for seeing somewhere different :)

Jean,

As I said in an earlier post all UK passports since 1997 have digital photos so as that is more than 10 years ago all current UK passports qualify. Mine was renewed in Dec2007 and has the chip but the photo page is laminated. However if you look closely, the photo is not the actual photo you send in but a digital image although it looks like a real photo. You dont expect that all UK passports prior to 2006 are not acceptable for USA travel, otherwise there would be a stampede in getting them changed.

Brian

The official Gov Foreign office Advice:

Entry requirements

The US Visa Waiver Programme (VWP) allows most British Citizen passport holders to visit the US for up to 90 days. The types of journeys that are permissible under the VWP include general travel/tourism, certain types of business and when transitting to another country.

The US has announced new measures that require all those travelling under the Visa Waiver Programme to provide details online at least 72 hours prior to travel this is known as an Electronic Travel System or ESTA. Authorisation becomes compulsory for all travellers from 12 January 2009. For more information, and to apply online please visit the following website at https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov. An ESTA once obtained will be valid for a period of two years, or the validity of the travellers passport (whichever is shorter). At present, US authorities do not propose to levy a charge for this service, although they have reserved the right to consider doing so in the future. If you do not have Internet access a third party, such as a relative or travel agent, may apply for the ESTA for you. However, you will still be responsible under the law for the questions answered on your behalf. VWP travellers should be aware that unauthorised third parties have established websites which charge for information about ESTA and for submitting applications. These are not endorsed by, associated with, or affiliated in any way with the United States Government. UK travellers are advised to be wary of such sites and businesses, particularly those that seek fees for services offered. The process, as outlined above is currently free. Obtaining an ESTA should not be confused with the separate requirement, which will continue to apply, for you to provide your airline or carrier with details of your passport, country of residence and address of your first night's accomodation in the US.

More details are available on the VWP and other aspects of US immigration at the following websites:

US Embassy in London

Department of Homeland Security

US Department of State

If you have any doubts about whether you are eligible to enter the US under the VWP, or about visa matters generally, you are advised to contact the US Embassy in London before your travel. The Visa Information line is 0904 245 0100 (calls are charged at £1.20 per minute).

Please also read the following Questions & Answers:

Do I qualify to travel under the VWP or do I need a visa?

Several million British nationals travel to the US annually under the VWP without any problems. Only people described as a "British Citizen" on the photo page in their passport qualify to enter the US under the VWP. If you are described as a "British Subject", "British National (Overseas)", "British Overseas Territories Citizen", "British Dependent Territories Citizen", "British Protected Person" or "British Overseas Citizen", you will need a visa.

You will also probably need a visa if you fall into one of the following categories (Note: this list is not exhaustive).

You intend to stay longer than 90 days

You intend to travel to the US for a reason other than business, pleasure or transit

You are conducting official government business

You have been arrested (even if not convicted)

You have a criminal record

You have a serious, communicable disease (including HIV)

You have been refused entry to the US on a previous occasion

You have been deported from the US

You have overstayed during a previous visit

If you are unsure, or if you think that your situation falls into any of the above categories, you should consult the US Embassy (see above) – you must do this well in advance of any plans to travel.

Does my British passport allow me to travel under the VWP?

To enter under the VWP your passport must contain a machine-readable zone (MRZ).

At the foot of the photo page. The MRZ contains 2 lines of text as letters, numbers and chevrons (>>>). If the area is blank the passport is not machine-readable and you need to apply for a visa.

The new style passports containing a biometric chip and an MRZ are acceptable for the VWP.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-and-living-overseas/travel-advice-by-country/north-central-america/united-states

Yep, but you missed out the bit about the digital photograph :-(

No, there is nothing in the official government entry regulations which says you need a digital photograph.

You will be photographed when you arrive. All you need is a machine readable passport and have completed the ESTA form and got your reference back.

Then as the web site says when you arrive:

What will happen on arrival in the US?

All arrivals under the VWP are subject to US-VISIT. This means that all travellers aged between 14 and 79 are finger-scanned and digitally photographed on arrival. Special arrangements are in place for travellers with disabilities.

In 2002, the US authorities introduced the National Security Entry-Exit Registration System. This requires nationals or citizens of certain countries - including those who also have British passports - to register on arrival and departure from the US, and in some cases, to register again with US authorities in-country.

The Department of Homeland Security plans to replace the current two-fingerprint scanners with new 10 fingerprint scanners at all U.S. ports of entry over the next year.

On November 29, 2007, Homeland Security began the initial transition at Washington Dulles International Airport. During 2008, nine other U.S. airports will also collect additional fingerprints from international visitors. They include:

Boston Logan International Airport (Boston, Mass.)

Chicago O'Hare International Airport (Chicago, Ill.)

Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (Detroit, Mich.)

Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta International Airport (Atlanta, Ga.)

George Bush Houston Intercontinental Airport (Houston, Texas)

Miami International Airport (Miami, Fla.)

John F. Kennedy International Airport (New York, N.Y.)

Orlando International Airport (Orlando, Fla.)

San Francisco International Airport. (San Francisco, Calif.)

The Department of State currently uses 10 fingerprint scanners at all of its visa issuing posts worldwide

Sounds as if your Passports will OK.But you will be required to obtain An Esta Form Before you Travel.Although I have it first hand that up until a week ago the Esta system was still not working and that you were still required to Complete the 'Green Visa Waiver' form.I would suggest to put your mind at rest that you contact the P&O Visa Dept 0845 071 0308.They will answer any queries and for a 'small' fee apply for your Esta clearance.I rang them last week they were very helpful.Are you going on Aurora ? May be shipmates in Aug;)

Sorry to say but you are wrong. From 1st July

Is a national of one of the VWP countries not listed above AND DOES NOT have a machine-readable passport (MRP)(depending on the date the MRP was issued, renewed, or extended, it may also need to contain a digital photograph or an integrated electronic chip);

Machine-readable passports issued or renewed/extended between 10/26/05 and 10/25/06: passports must have digital photographs printed on the data page or integrated chips with information from the data page.

Got this direct from US Visa Waiver Programme.

Archived