CNBC Reviews The Business Side Of Cruising

Stevesan

Thanks,

My wife and I watched it on the MAC last night. It was really interesting, But My wife and I kept making comments on the ship decor on NCL, and the food did not look that great. Furthermore they showed the rendering of the Epic, WOW it was not an attractive ship from the outside, did anyone else see this rendering?

But its nice to see how well they kept NCL clean, and how it all worked.

It did make us want to go on a cruise today though! I am glad there are cruise lines for all tastes.

Cruise lines measure occupancy based on two passengers per cabin equaling 100%.

Pearl at 100% = ~2390 passengers. To reach their 104% goal requires ~2486 pax on board.

Since Pearl had only 2200 pax, 92%, she missed the 104% goal by nearly 3,000 pax. That's a lot of lost on board revenue.

I found two numbers really surprising:

First is only $7.25 p/day p/pax for the beverage department to reach break even. Isn't that about the price of one cocktail?

Second is that DI took in $600k revenue while Pearl was at Roatan. That's amazing!!

Just remember why you see so many staff faces on a ship from poorer countries, and also remember the average age of cruise workers. Many of those from poorer countries consider what they are making an absolute mint, and are happy to work those hours compared to the job opportunities they would have in their own country. I have talked to stewards before who are very proud of the work they do and very pleased to be able to provide for their family in this way.

I couldn't forget even if I try. I am from one of those poorer countries.

Hubby and kids are born and bred Americans but I am an island 'gurl':)

My concern about wage goes a bit deeper than nosey but concern and hoping to hep when I can,

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559644941UvHHOC

104% capacity, how does that work? Funny accounting as I'd think that a quad capable rooms would be counted as 4/4 = 100% or they have some creative accounting :confused:
My guess is they just count every room as having a capacity of 2 then if someone can fit two parents and two kids into the same room....200% occupancy for that room.

$2500/month sounds good but remember that poor steward is working what 7am - 11pm :( for every day the ship is sailing. Figure he gets maybe one 1/2 day off every 5-12 days depending on the ships schedule.
$2500 for 10 months is just above the Federal Poverty Guidelines for the United States for a 4 person household. I deal cards for a living and to be honest, I wouldn't deal on a ship and work those hours for any less than twice that much.

It helps to understand the context from which most of the service staff come - the income levels in their home countries are much less than what they can make on the cruise ships, even with the admittedly long hours and unpleasant conditions. Take a look at the comparative annual incomes here:

http://siteresources.worldbank.org/DATASTATISTICS/Resources/GNIPC.pdf

and it becomes more clear as to why these men and women are willing to put up with the less than stellar working conditions. And this doesn't account for the internal income distribution discrepancies, so the annual income that your steward or waiter from Indonesia or the Phillipines could earn working at home is even less that this would indicate.

And this is fine to know. The problem comes when people then try to use this information as a justification for not properly compensating the help for their services.

The reasoning is absurd, "Well $2500 a month is probably A LOT compared to where they came from!" OK, sure. But that still in no way resembles a justification for not compensating someone for a job well done. There almost seems to be some subconscious hesitation to reward people for working service and entry level jobs. Like, "Wow this guy works hard, but he probably doesn't have an education and is only waiting tables so he doesn't deserve TOO MUCH!" :confused:

I'll never understand it. By the end if my cruise later this month the price tag will probably be about $8000. If I can take two weeks off from work and drop $8,000 on a trip, I can sure afford to give some kid from a poor part of the Philippines 90 CENTS to make my Mai Tai.

Cruise lines measure occupancy based on two passengers per cabin equaling 100%.

Pearl at 100% = ~2390 passengers. To reach their 104% goal requires ~2486 pax on board.

Since Pearl had only 2200 pax, 92%, she missed the 104% goal by nearly 3,000 pax. That's a lot of lost on board revenue.

I found two numbers really surprising:

First is only $7.25 p/day p/pax for the beverage department to reach break even. Isn't that about the price of one cocktail?

Second is that DI took in $600k revenue while Pearl was at Roatan. That's amazing!!

Ooops! One too many zeroes. :o

But I suspect y'all knew that or I would have been given twenty lashes before now.

I go on a cruise to feel "special"; to get a well-earned break from my "everyday" work and "rat-race."

I don't go on a cruise ship to worry about the crew and staff and how they got their job and/or to be concerned about; are they being paid for said job?

I can stay home and drive through East L.A. and see the poverty and despair on the faces of the individuals in my own home town.......I don't need to board a multi-million dollar, floating hotel, to feel either "sad or bad" for any of the employees who are traveling with me. And, who have chosen to work and serve or clean my environment.

As I treat any "service worker", anywhere, I will tip for good service, accordingly!

I expect the ship to make a profit.....I expect to have a wonderful time!!!!

Would someone please post a link to the video of this show on the CNBC website? I have tried to find it but have come up with nothing.:(

You're in luck -- they're repeating it tonight. It's on CNBC at 1am EDT -- check your local listings' date=' as they say.

[/color']

Archived