Review Star Princess Thanksgiving 2004

bgonyeau

Several weeks have gone by since we were on the Star with a group of families from our town. We unfortunately had some bad luck where my husband was hit by a jet ski while snorkeling in Montego Bay. We never returned to the ship(luckily it was on the 5th day), and spent 11 days at hospitals in Jamaica and Miami.

First - if you leave the ship, bring a credit card (with a high limit), your health insurance card,your passport(as well as the ship cards,) and an international calling card. Needless to say, we learned alot.

About the ship. We had fun since we were with a lot of friends, however this ship was disappointing to all of us. Parts of the ship were never cleaned(the glass doors especially), there was often small puddles of water left around the pool deck at night after they hosed it down (witnessed several passengers falling-no wet floor signs), alot of the staff was unfriendly (try getting a soda with a soda card inside-they ignored you), and the staff at pursors desk was incompetent and uncaring. The informal dining was not as good as Royal Caribbean or Carnival and was mostly leftovers. The kids missed the late night pizza , although the pizza and hamburgers was great around the pool during the day. The cruise entertainment staff was not seen around the ship unless they were doing an activity. On previous cruises on other ships, the staff was around mingling alot.

The rooms were spacious (inside) and layed out extremely well and our room steward was the only happy employee on the ship. He was always smiling and eager to please.

All in all, if you are already booked, have a great time! If you are thinking of the Star (or Princess) look into another cruise line. We have cruised several times before and our group will not take Princess again. We will try RC or Carnival the next time.

First off, I am really sorry to hear about your husband's accident!! It's a great reminder of why we always buy travel insurance and what to carry with you in port. I really don't understand the theory of 'not buying insurance a few times will pay for another cruise'. One accident out of country and you know why?!?!?!

I am also sorry to hear about the rest of your cruise not going so well. I know that there have been both good and bad things said about the Star Princess, and Princess service in general, but I guess we will just have to find out for ourselves. :D Honestly, we have been on RCCL (only once mind you) but we much prefer Princess (mid 40's) - so I guess we will just have to wait and see if the service has really declined that much and make our own choices.

Sorry to hear your Princess experience was not up to par. We just completed a cruise on the Diamond Princess and loved it. The Cruise Staff was so nice as well as other members of the crew. I've booked another cruise with in April and plan on book a 2nd one for 2005. I guess each cruise has its on personality.

I am so sorry to hear of your hubbie's accident! How awful. Is he doing okay?

Thanks for the reminders of what one should have while off the ship. I assume one could go get them, or send someone back to your cabin for them???

We were on the Star a month before you. Service was not good at our table in the dining room, traditional early seating. Our cabin steward was fairly good, but so prompt, it made it better!

I still love Princess, and just hoping I got the lesser trained staff once, and won't again! :eek: Also, I may try smaller ships, to see if the service is better.

Thanks for posting!

All in all, if you are already booked, have a great time! If you are thinking of the Star (or Princess) look into another cruise line. We have cruised several times before and our group will not take Princess again. We will try RC or Carnival the next time.

No thanks. I've tried the others and much prefer Princess. Sorry you had a bad experience.

Scott

Archived