Palma de Majorca...this one puzzles me

Hi

Im docking here 8am-4pm in September. Dont no what to do here so any recommendations welcome. I guess a chill/beach/people watching is the nearest I can think (unless someone wows with me another option).... any ideas?

Would prefer not to do ship excursion but dont want to spend a lot of money/time/hassle getting somewhere. Not keen on taxis.

Any suggestions?

As always THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!

Paula

You are right: Mallorca is most known for its sun and beach (and drinking and more) tourism of a certain kind. Certainly not the most preferred cruise port.

Yet it has also to offer historic and natural sights. In Palma the most popular one is the cathedrale which was started to build in 1230. Other highlights there include the Almudaina palace, former seat for the moores and the kings of Aragon and today sometimes still used by the Spanish Royal Family, the castillo Bellver with the Museo Municipial and other museums, churches and profan buildings.

We were lucky to have visited this port while on an Oceania cruise, and that cruise line has local tourist info employees that come on the ship in each port. Our TI rep drew us a walking tour of Palma de Mallorca that was very nice. It included some gardens that we would not have found on our own. Maybe if you do a Google search for iPod walking tours you can find something similar. Honestly, unless the beach is really spectacular, I wouldn't skip the historic sights to go to the beach there because the old streets are just lovely and full of ambience. We love Palma de Mallorca and found the cathedral and other streets to be very charming. You can also shop for the Mallorca pearls and the nice El Corte Ingles department store if you like shopping.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Hi

Im docking here 8am-4pm in September. Dont no what to do here so any recommendations welcome. I guess a chill/beach/people watching is the nearest I can think (unless someone wows with me another option).... any ideas?

Would prefer not to do ship excursion but dont want to spend a lot of money/time/hassle getting somewhere. Not keen on taxis.

Palma is one of my favourite places. Yes, Mallorca's public face is that of a mass-market tourist destination, but it's also the heart of a wealthy autonomous region, and Palma is its capital. There is quite a bit of history in the city - the Cathedral is an amazing building, an immense northern-european-style 'Gothic' cathedral in the middle of the Mediterranean. It sits also on one edge of the old town, a warren of attractive old streets, with old houses set around their courtyards. Some of these have been turned into museums.

On the other side of the Cathedral is the centre of 'new' Palma, a major administrative, governmental and commercial centre. The latter aspect is reflected by the fact that there is very good high-quality shopping in Palma. However, it's not focused on visitors, but rather on the local population. This population has a high proportion of wealthy and professional people and therefore supports a high quality retail and cultural infrastructure.

Give Palma a look - it's worth it.

The Cathedral is indeed magnificent. The castle is alos worth alook too both for the building itself and the amazinf views you get from it. I also enjoy exploring all the winding side streets of the main square near the cathedral. Palma is (in my opinion) a beautiful old city.

Whilst Palma is certainly worth visiting, might I suggest if your company offers it, a tour to Soller on the train, or even a visit to Sa Calobra (a creek) and the Monastery of Lluch (in the middle of nowhere in the mountains and very impressive). A tour to Pollensa and Formentor would also give you lots to see, as Mallorca is so much more than highrise hotels and beaches .......................

Whilst Palma is certainly worth visiting, might I suggest if your company offers it, a tour to Soller on the train, or even a visit to Sa Calobra (a creek) and the Monastery of Lluch (in the middle of nowhere in the mountains and very impressive). A tour to Pollensa and Formentor would also give you lots to see, as Mallorca is so much more than highrise hotels and beaches .......................

Any of these would indeed be excellent destinations. You can of course have a really excellent holiday on Mallorca, without once going near the 'delights' of S'Arenal, Magaluf or similar spots. I was just responding the point that the OP has to leave fairly early (4pm), which might it difficult to get to some of the more remote spots (e.g. the Monastir de Lluc).

My favourite beachside spot would be Puerto de Soller, but there again I haven't yet been to Deia or some of the other smaller villages on the NW coast.

This is very easy to do on your own and a pretty city. We took the public bus which stops right outside the cruise terminal and walked the town--the market is interesting and the cathedral is a don't miss. Usually there is an art exhibit on one of the Ramblas--type streets.

I really wanted to try to take the Sollar train--but like you we didn't get in until 8am--which is the time of the best train to take to be able to go to Sollar and Port Sollar and not be rushed.

For a first visit I would not use this as a beach day, there is too much to see.

Palma de Majorca is one of the my favourites pors of the Mediterránan. You chose between go to the beach, visiting the beautiful countrysaid or the same city. In Palma de Majorca you do not find masterpieces as you may find in italian cities, even its churches, palaces, etc are the hig artistic quality. But with respecto to glamour, Palma de Majorca is one of the most glamourous, if not the most, city in all Mediterranean. If you stroll with open eyes you will find one of most exciting experiencies in all the Mediterranea.

I love Palma de Majorca's old quartier as much as Barcelona's.

Archived