costa experts please!!

sandymc47

We are considering Costa for the first time, in 14 cruises. The other lines have gotten sooooo expensive, and this seems to be the best deal. Can you tell me if the pools and hot tubs are open all night? Is there a pool, and hot tub, "inside"? We prefer the buffett,because we do not like to go formal, so is it available for dinner? On the seventh night, too?(Carnival only has pizza on the last night, if you do n ot go to the dining room) What are the buffett hours? Do they serve much of what is available in the dining room? We really liked the personal choice hours ,for the dining room, on Princess, because we like to use the pools early evening, and eat late. Thanks for any help.

I only remember 1 formal night in 7 days(but it could have been 2). The rest were resort casual, no semi formal. The last night was toga night. The pool was open till 7pm. There is a hot tub in the spa. Buffet was always open but since most nights were R.C. you can eat in the dining room wearing the same thing you would wear to the buffet. No jeans but a nice pair of pants and a nice top.

I also remember the pool and hot tub being closed and drained after dark. There were definitely two formal nights. I specifically remember that because my daughter and I had so much fun getting our dresses before our trip, and have some great pictures from those nights. The buffets must have been pretty decent in the evening because our tablemates never did show for dinner, and must have eaten every meal there. Toga night was a blast, and I have to say, we went with a 15-year-old and 6-year-old who are fairly well-travelled, and both still talk about what a great trip that was.

This was our 10th cruise, first ever on Costa.

There were 2 formal nights and one toga night. Actually on the menu it says,

"Please no shorts or tank tops". Thats all it says, but I wore dockers and golf shirt for non formal dinners. The food is not the same in the buffet, although they have the usual carving stations for meat, and they serve the pastas, salads that are too far to reach, and ice creams.

The food was good we thought, but you have to ask or look at other tables to see what you're getting. (its Italian style!) Some waiters couldn't speak or understand English very well. Our table mates were part Italian and went to Italy so they knew what most of the menu items were. We recommend the beef Welington, but its served in the dining room.

On the last day (toga) we ate in the buffet and they had all the regular fair.

It seemed like the pizza was always open. They also have the burgers/hotdogs by the pool area, and a sandwitch bar on the other side.

Some of their salads were pickled, (not my favorite) They have olive oil and vinegar on the tables (you're suppose to use for your salads or bread)

Their pizza is thin crust with interesting toppings, you always had your choice between 2 selections like salmon, brocoli, & tuna.

Italian desserts are lightly sweetened, (which we like) but a lot of others like really sweet stuff. They always had ice cream and sherbert, which somebody scooped for you, NOT any soft serve like other lines. They have flavors like mango, coffee, vanalla, etc.

They do keep the dining areas very clean. The staff almost immediately take used trays and plates off of the tables and actually puts the waste in drawers.

We just touched the water in the spas and pools but the water was lukewarm so we never went in.

Any other questions, just ask...

SandyMc:

I remember being in the hot tub in the evening after departing from Jamaica, but I honestly can't tell you what time exactly they close their pools and hot tubs. They might get drained at night, but I remember the middle pool was

still full of water during the last night.

The alternative dining (buffet) is available at any night, even the last. You will even have snacks, sandwiches and pizza available in the early morning hours of the last sailing day (night). I was scrolling around the ship at around 3 AM the last night before we docked back in Lauderdale to take some nice pictures of the Atlantica. It was cold outside, so I stopped for some hot coffee and fresh pizza at the buffet area. Only a few people there - well I guess it was rather early.

During the day and evening you have a variety of specialties served at the buffet area. Very delicious Italian Seafood Salad, Italian Pizza (nice and thin crust as it should be), Pasta, and a variety of daily changing meats and fish.

Very delicious!! (Getting hungry just by typing this!)

We enjoyed our table mates and enjoyed the sit down dinners, formal or informal... Our waiter Agustus was simply the best! We enjoyed seeing him every day and even had breakfast several times with him.

Have a blast and enjoy your cruise!

Thank you all for the reply. One reason I kept returning to Princess,(and as of recently, RCCL and Celebrity) was the use of the pools and hot tubs at night. Our last cruise, in Oct., on the Jewel of the seas, it was soooo nice to use the solarium pool, 7 ft deep, and the hot tub, while most everyone else was eating, or otherwise being entertatined. I have fond memories of our 4 cruises aboard the Grand Princess, and setting in one of 2 HUGE hot tubs, on the very top deck, in the rear of the ship, and having a drink, with the moon above, and the wake below............Oh well, I guess you cant have everything. The prices have increased considerably, on these ships, and need to go where we can afford it. Both kids are presently out of jobs, and we have to help out. It kind of leaves a smaller dollar to work with. Thanks again.

Archived