Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

Milwaukeeee,

Thanks for the advice. I know that there are #76 bus stops at Slussen and near the Royal Palace, so I guess we will just make use of them. Do they run frequently?

We were also interested in your report on the Nordic Museum. It interests us even more than the Vasa Museum. Which parts did you like the best? Will we be disappointed if we cannot give it more than 1 1/2 hrs.?

Our visit will be on September 2, so entry times and film times in the Vasa will vary from your experience. We may have to catch the film and miss the guided tour there, but one cannot do everything one wants to in one day!:( We'll just have to schedule a return visit.;)

Paula

Paula:

Here is a You-Tube film about the Vasa....(cut and paste into address bar if it's not clickable. Depending when you get to the Vasa will determine how much time you will need, we got there at 8:30 am and moved very quickly and could see and read everything before the busses arrived.)

About the Nordic Museum:

Google "Nordic Museum, Stockholm"

Description

(Local Name: Nordiska Museet) Immediately beyond the Djurgården bridge in Stockholm, to the right, is the Nordic Museum (Nordiska Museet), a massive building in Renaissance style which gives a survey of life and work in Sweden over the last 500 years. On the ground floor is the Royal Armory, with material illustrating the life of the privileged classes, and there are other sections devoted to peasant life in the various provinces of Sweden and to the culture of the Sami (Lapps). Hobbies & Activities category: Historical museum; Architecture - Renaissance

I loved it. It's an outstanding beautiful building. You get a hand-held "thingy" that you point to red circles within areas and it tells you about what you are seeing. Very cool.

My favorite was a film of a man and a woman getting dressed and seeing what ALL they wore to get that look. Thank heavens we don't have to do that any longer.

Time of course is up to you as to how long you look...but it is certainly doable in 1.5 hours. I enjoyed Vasa historically but I enjoyed the Nordic more for the human touch of life.

We did the Vasa Museum first because it opened earlier...went to Gamla Stan...then later back to the Nordic which didn't open as early as the Vasa.

Edited by Milwaukeeee
additional information

Milwaukeeee and Al,

Looks like the transportation issue is up in the air, but we can deal with bus only if that is what it turns out to be. If we get the ferry included, it'll be a bonus!

I'd love to see the Vasa video on YouTube, but I am stuck with (expletive deleted) dial-up. Perhaps I'll hit the public library and watch it. Our problem is that the Vasa does not open until 10 am starting September 1---and the first guided tour in English is not until 11:30. That would take us past the time to squeeze in the changing of the guard at the Royal Palace. Not sure about the English-language film hours after September 1. The website had conflicting times---first film is either at 10 am or at noon (too late). As it is, we will probably have to do what you did: Vasa, Gamla Stan, Nordic. We'll just go with the flow if all doesn't work out perfectly. So often things change at the last minute; we'll just have to be flexible and put what we miss on our "next time" list.

Thanks for all of the advice. I have cut and pasted SO MUCH from this message board. Stockholm looks to be a fabulous port of call.

Paula 48, Al Frescoe, and others who know about Stockholm,

I too will be in Stockholm in September. According to the Nordic Museum's website, the museum is free from 4-8 on Wednesdays in September. Is this correct information? If so, that would save 80 SEK per person. One may just have to adjust the schedule of seeing Vasa, Nordic, and Skansen. Also, if this information is incorrect, please let us know. Thanks.

Pearl

Paula 48, Al Frescoe, and others who know about Stockholm,

I too will be in Stockholm in September. According to the Nordic Museum's website, the museum is free from 4-8 on Wednesdays in September. Is this correct information? If so, that would save 80 SEK per person. One may just have to adjust the schedule of seeing Vasa, Nordic, and Skansen. Also, if this information is incorrect, please let us know. Thanks.

Pearl

Lucky you, Pearl. Our ship departs at 4:30pm, so the free hours at the Nordic Museum won't fit all cruisers.

Paula

As it is, we will probably have to do what you did: Vasa, Gamla Stan, Nordic.

Not sure you should visit in that order. The Vasa and the Nordic museum are practically right next door to each other.

Good luck,

Al

Not sure you should visit in that order. The Vasa and the Nordic museum are practically right next door to each other.

Good luck,

Al

I know, Al, but that is what we will have to do if we want to catch the changing of the guard. We won't be able to fit the two museums into BEFORE the changing of the guard or AFTER the changing of the guard since we are only in port from 8:30-16:30. My husband loves taking photos and this changing of the guard ceremony appears to be especially colorful according to Terry in Ohio's photos. Between the changing of the guard and the English film and tour times in the Vasa Museum, we are going to have to make some sacrifices. We would appreciate your opinion on all of this.

(To make our schedule even worse, we may try to use the hour before the Vasa opens at 10:00 to do a quick trip up the Katarinahissen. THEN back to Vasa, THEN over to Gamla Stan, THEN back to Nordic. Obviously we will need to be flexible and we do realize that we may well have to give up something. I hope it is not our sanity.)

The sensible thing to do is to go to the Katarinahissen, then do Gamla Stan, then go to Djurgarden for one or both museums. This would mean missing one of the museums OR the changing of the guard. Tough decision. What do you recommend?

Paula

I know, Al, but that is what we will have to do if we want to catch the changing of the guard. We won't be able to fit the two museums into BEFORE the changing of the guard or AFTER the changing of the guard since we are only in port from 8:30-16:30. My husband loves taking photos and this changing of the guard ceremony appears to be especially colorful according to Terry in Ohio's photos. Between the changing of the guard and the English film and tour times in the Vasa Museum, we are going to have to make some sacrifices. We would appreciate your opinion on all of this. (To make our schedule even worse, we may try to use the hour before the Vasa opens at 10:00 to do a quick trip up the Katarinahissen. THEN back to Vasa, THEN over to Gamla Stan, THEN back to Nordic. Obviously we will need to be flexible and we do realize that we may well have to give up something. I hope it is not our sanity.) The sensible thing to do is to go to the Katarinahissen, then do Gamla Stan, then go to Djurgarden for one or both museums. This would mean missing one of the museums OR the changing of the guard. Tough decision. What do you recommend? Paula

Hi, to my central Ohio neighbor, Paula! I'm in Clintonville in main Columbus. I like your line about "Obviously we will need to be flexible and we do realize that we may well have to give up something. I hope it is not our sanity."

I appreciate your nice comments on my photos. Here are a couple of other tips or factors to consider.

First, weather will impact things, especially since your husband likes to take pictures. You might think of preparing for two different plans. One for great weather and the other for marginal conditions.

Second, if your budget is more "flexible", you can do some things like cabs to improve your time efficiencies in Stockholm and be able to see and do much more. For your husband's pictures, just walking around in the Gamla Stan is important, interesting and fun.

Third, the number of other ships in town and the quantity of tourists around can impact your conditions and logistics. Plan ahead, but be prepared to adjust according to these various conditions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

In Stockholm’s historic old town, a church tower:

1A-Stockholm-OldCityTower.jpg

Nice flowers and historic buildings in Stockholm:

1A-Stockholm-Flowers-HistBldg.jpg

I know, Al, but that is what we will have to do if we want to catch the changing of the guard. We won't be able to fit the two museums into BEFORE the changing of the guard or AFTER the changing of the guard since we are only in port from 8:30-16:30. My husband loves taking photos and this changing of the guard ceremony appears to be especially colorful according to Terry in Ohio's photos. Between the changing of the guard and the English film and tour times in the Vasa Museum, we are going to have to make some sacrifices. We would appreciate your opinion on all of this.

(To make our schedule even worse, we may try to use the hour before the Vasa opens at 10:00 to do a quick trip up the Katarinahissen. THEN back to Vasa, THEN over to Gamla Stan, THEN back to Nordic. Obviously we will need to be flexible and we do realize that we may well have to give up something. I hope it is not our sanity.)

The sensible thing to do is to go to the Katarinahissen, then do Gamla Stan, then go to Djurgarden for one or both museums. This would mean missing one of the museums OR the changing of the guard. Tough decision. What do you recommend?

Paula

Paula

You will simply love the Changing of the guard ceremony. It runs about an hour, with full marching band and many ceremonies. You do not have to stay for the entire thing, as the band does play for a while. Try and get there a bit early, as they start lining up maybe an hour before. When we were there, the guards along the ropes didn't even let kids sit on the floor by the rope, they made them stand up to watch. If you want pix, get there a bit early to secure a front row place.

Here are a couple of short video's I took of some of the ceremony

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster1366.mp4

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster1373.flv

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

We will be arriving in Stockholm by train from Uppsala. Our ship is docking at VÄRTAHAMNEN. Would it be best to get off the train at Central Station in Stockholm then taxi to the dock? We will have our luggage. Also, if that is the best way, what approximately would the taxi cost be ? Thanks.

We are back. We got our wish. It was a blue sky day. We were thrilled. We got great pictures of old town from the ship. We were the first persons off the ship. We had no problem finding the public bus. It was a longer walk than I expected. We got on a bus that I thought would take us on to Gamla Stan, but we were required to get off at Fussen and catch another bus. No problem. We walked over to Ridderholmen and took pictures of Ridderholm church and Town Hall. We went back to the old town square area to look for a place for lunch. I went in a store. Some women were moving a piece of furniture. I tried to get out of their way and tripped on the door entry and made quite a fall. I wasn't hurt too bad. But it was shocking. My husband had reindeer which is his tradition in Gamla Stan. I had swedish meatballs. It was great. Thanks for all your help. After my fall and lunch, I didn't feel able to do Sodermalm. We will just have to come back. Marlyne

Advise Please;

Folks I have a Dilemma and need some advice, facts please. I am doing an excursion starting at Gamla Stan @11;30 we will be docking at STADSGÅRDEN @ 09:00.

Do I go immediatly to Vasa, rush and get to Gamla Stan by 11;15(I will be riding HOHO so there is waiting time etc), or do I take my time and go to Vasa after 1:00pm hopping all the crowds would have thinned out.

Appreciate prospective from veterans.

Thank you all

cruisinbob.com

Ultima;

Therefore you would suggest take my time and then after 1:00 go to Vasa, will it be less crowded?

thanks

I will not suggest one or the other as I don't even know how much time you got in the evening.. Don't know how you planned to go to Vasa in the morning either. I just had the feeling there is not much margin for unexpected delays it the first plan.

I will not suggest one or the other as I don't even know how much time you got in the evening.. Don't know how you planned to go to Vasa in the morning either. I just had the feeling there is not much margin for unexpected delays it the first plan.

On a cruise ship, dock at 9, leave at 5PM so only one day, trying to make max use of time.

thanks

we are booked at

SCANDIC HOTEL STAR SOLLENTUNA (SCANDIC HOTELS)

ANIARAPLATSEN 8 SOLLENTUNA SE SWEDEN

for pre cruise..TA said it is near a big shopping center and it was hard to get hotels at that time as there was a convention in town.

pls tell us if its a good area and what else we could do with our time. we'll be there 2days. there is a train station nearby.

when we go on board we r doing the HIGHLIGHTS OF STOCKHOLM & VASA MUSEUM tour.

so do suggest us something. else, and also the best and economical way to go from the hotel to the docks.(we have 3 pcs. of luggage between us and are seniors) and airport to hotel. thanks a lot acjb.......

kavi

On a cruise ship, dock at 9, leave at 5PM so only one day, trying to make max use of time.

thanks

Well, its rather hectic either way. Perhaps still best to try to do Vasa as early as possible to "get rid of it" so to say. ;) Just keep control of the time.

From the icebar, I think it is about a one hour walk, but it is not so easy to find the way to Frihamnen if you dont know the town.

You can ask someone after bluebus number 1. It have a bus stop not so very far away from the icebar. It have a stop at Frihamnen.

If you don´t want to go with bus, I recomend you to take a cab. But be awake. Some drivers like to take to much money. I recomend

"Taxi Stockholm", "Taxi Kurir" or "Taxi 020" they are the biggest and most serious taxi companies in Stockholm.

what is the best way to get to

from the airport. Do they have buses from the airport that drop people

to different hotels.. and can we change US dollars at the airport for local currency or will the buses take the dollars.;)

I live in Stockholm and love all the cruiseships that are comming here all the summer.

Do you need any information about the town or transportation, just ask and I will try to answer....

we are booked at

for pre cruise..TA said it is near a big shopping center and it was hard to get hotels at that time as there was a convention in town.

pls tell us if its a good area and what else we could do with our time. we'll be there 2days. there is a train station nearby.

when we go on board we r doing the HIGHLIGHTS OF STOCKHOLM & VASA MUSEUM tour.

so do suggest us something. else, and also the best and economical way to go from the hotel to the docks.(we have 3 pcs. of luggage between us and are seniors) and airport to hotel. thanks a lot acjb.......do they have bus service from airport to hotels. and will they accept USD. or should we change the dollars at the airport. can we also use ATM machine at the airport.;)

kavi

Thanks for taking the time to answer everyone's questions!!

We will be arriving from the US at the main airport and will be staying downtown at the Hotel Riddargatan. What would be the cost (in US dollars) for both my husband and I for the cab ride to downtown and do you know anything about this hotel? I understand that there will be a medical convention in town and it was very very difficult to find a room for Aug. 27th!!

we r arriving on 26th. did u find a way to get to your hotel. if u did pls send us a link, and how much does it cost;)

Bus 76 timetable with stop list at end of table.

A4rjan_Sommar_2010j.pdf

Hello stockholm resident,

thank you for helping all of us.

please answer a few questions.we want to know if a bus service is available from airport to our hotel in SCANDIC HOTEL STAR SOLLENTUNA, like a airport coach and how much it would cost , we have 3 pcs. luggage. or can we get a drop closer to the hotel by a reg bus then take a taxi, or is it better to take the express train to the city and then a taxi to the hotel. can we buy the tickets on arrival. also the best way to get from the hotel a couple days later to the ship port. we r on the regent voyager. the large shopping center near the hotel, is it really good and are there restaurants near the hotel in the evening and what time does the shopping mall close.

thank you so much...no questions about tours as we will take those with the ship.

thank you and God bless;)

email: dadkv@hotmail.com

Kavivashi

Sollentuna is a community with 60000 inhabitants north of Stockholm. Going from Arlanda airport in to Stockholm one would pass through Sollentuna, so taking the train all the way in to the city and then going back to Sollentuna is not a good idea.

The hotel lists only two options to get there from the airport. It is either a taxi (I have no idea what it would cost). Or you can take a bus nr 583 from Arlanda to Märsta Station, from there the train to Sollentuna Station, and then walk to the hotel. Sounds complicated to me, would not recommend it with luggage. Plus you would need tickets for the bus before you get on and I have no idea where you could buy that at the airport.

There is nothing special to do in Sollentuna as far as I know, but then I haven’t been there in many years, I live in Stockholm. There is a shopping mall near the hotel but I guess it would be the same shops as any other mall in the surburbs. I don’t know when the mall closes. There is a train station near the hotel where you can take the train to Stockhom Central Station. Expected time is 16 minutes and during most of the day there seems to be a train every 15 minutes. I am sure the hotel will be able to help you with train information.

For public transport the best thing is probably to buy 24 hour tickets which can be used on all public transport within the Stockholm area including the commuter trains and the ferry between Gamla Stan and the area where you will find Skansen and Vasa Museums. This ticket costs 100 kronor (60 kronor for children and those older than 65) Or there is a 3 day ticket that costs double as much, if you want to travel during more than one day. The tickets can be bought at the train station. When you get on a bus in the Stockholm area it is necessary to have your ticket beforehand, it is not possible to pay the driver.

I don’t know much about restaurants I Sollentuna since I never go there. There used to be one of the very best restaurants in Sweden, Edsbacke Krog, with two stars in Guide Micelin. But it was closed and there are now new owners who are said to do traditional Swedish food. The new name is Edsbacka Värdshus. May be worth a visit if you want to spend on a good meal. The location is still very nice I am sure.

As for how to get to the ship I definitely recommend a taxi since you will have luggage. There is of course the possibility to take the train to Stockholm and then go by bus to the port. But it is not easy to handle luggage on a bus that may be crowded.

Edited by north-bound

• 2 weeks later...
Need help.... would like to see the ice bar in stockholm... can I get there by bus ? any ideas? I know you need a reservation... help Trudy

The Ice Bar is near the Central Station in Stockholm. There is the Metro as well as many buses that stop in that area.

So the question is From where do you want to go to the Ice Bar?

Here is a link to a map where you can fin the Ice Bar as well as the different ports where most cruise ships dock.

http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000448dadb8bebb56f079&t=h&z=13