HELP! Do we need waterproof shoes for Alaska?

We are trying to figure out (still) how to pack for our trip.

I know about layering, gloves, etc., and we are sailing July 22.

We will be doing Tracy Arm, 4glacier helicopter tour & dog sledding, Adventure combo (catamaran, 4x4), Bear watching floatplane, and the steam train ride.

We were planning on wearing our sneakers, and now I am panicking.

Any advice???

TIA!

A good pair of rubber soled, waterproof walking shoes with ankle support should work fine. That's what we will be taking on our 8/26 Mariner voyage, our 3rd Alaska cruise.

Remember, the possibility of rain always exists.

Any suggestions for a particular type/brand? Including for kids?

Our sneakers usually do fine for walking/ankle support/rain, but not stepping in water ;)

We wore normal ankle support type hiking shoes. The only time we went on anything on shore that required walking in water the crew gave us rubber boots. This was to stand in water to board a canoe. It does not sound like you need anything special.

Well to me anything with ankle supports says "hiking boot". I don't have any walking shoes with ankle support. I suspect if I went to Alaska any time soon (i.e., before I'm too decrepit), I'd get a lightweight hiking boot, but would not worry about it being waterproof.

Any suggestions for a particular type/brand? Including for kids?

Our sneakers usually do fine for walking/ankle support/rain, but not stepping in water ;)

You won't be in water but possibly on snow and ice. There will be some wet stuff usually in streams on the glacier.

We all, including kids, wore Merrell gore-tex low hikers (more like sneakers really) - they are waterproof and very comfortable. We probably did not need truly waterproof shoes but when we were out on rainy days it was nice to know our feet would stay dry.

when we got on the helicopter to go to the glacier. I didn't take anything more than sneakers with me and we didn't need them--it was hot! July though. When we did rafting they issued us boots. I wouldn't buy or pack anything if you don't need to. It does rain, so have more than one pair of sneakers, I would think.

I bought a pair of the LLBean "duck" shoes and they were great. The day we were in Hubbard Glacier it rained and it was good having the waterproof shoes on to walk around the deck.

We were given boots when we did the rafting on the Eagles Preserve. I had waterproof Keen shoes that I really never needed. My feet never got wet. Friends that did the dog sled said they given shoes with spikes for traction. They said they were specifically made to walk on the glacier with.

Archived