emergency numbers

lucybrown1

That's great, Thank you! I had heard that cell phones don't work on the ship while at sea....only when docked.

I know my phone, shortly after leaving a US dock cannot get a signal. And sometimes even when in a US port I get a signal but still have to pay exhorbitant rates because my company does not have service there (case in point in St Thomas my Verizon switched to some other company).

If the ship has a tower, yes, you can make contact. That's why it's so expensive. You are paying ship's rates rather than land rates. But they'd have to have the phone turned on, which probably they do not, to save battery time, and to avoid charges from wrong numbers. In your cruise contract there is a place that tells you how to be reached (possibly the call can go right to your cabin?) but what I'm thinking of may be no different from the number already posted above.

Pride of America does not have the tower, so the ship or person would have to be near enough a land tower for you to reach him/her.

Keep that posted ship number handy in case you cannot reach your party by cell phone. Dial 1.888.NC SHIPS (627.4477) As the previous poster said, they'd have to find you, so it might just mean a note left on your door if they did not page you.

It's always a good idea to set up a calling home time so everyone is near a phone. Due to differences in time zones and when you'll be in a port that has service can be determined before you leave on the cruise. If an emergency occurs shortly before your determined call time you are sure to reach them. if not, then resort to the expensive methods.

And some people regularly check their email while afloat. The individual's at sea email address will also be given in the cruise contract. Then when on board, he/she has to set up the account to activate it. Otherwise, you'd have to find an internet cafe on land. Let your family know when that will be, too.

Some people always have their cell phones active and updated. We know that with VZ Wireless we can use our cell phones @ 2.49 per minute and when we have had important calls to make we have. Not all cell carriers will work on the ship and you should always check with your carrier before leaving to see what the current rates and availabilties are.

We don't carry our cell phones around and leave emergency instructions at home.

NCL Ship Telephone & Fax Numbers

When calling from the United States: Dial 1.888.NC SHIPS (627.4477), select the ship, and enter your credit card information.

When Calling from outside the United States: Dial 1.732.335.3280, select the ship, and enter your credit card information.

*Please use American Express, MasterCard and Discover Card, only.

In the event of an actual emergency the chances of missing a cell call vs receiving a message on the ship win out.

Also, in addition to the rates charged for cell service on the ships, each country had different rates and may or may not be available with your services.

In your E-docs you will have a special ship/passenger/cruise-specific e-mail address. If you give that to the folks at home they can e-mail you on board and the e-mail will be printed and delivered to your cabin for about four bucks.

A great plan if you need info from home, IMHO but don't necessarily need to respond.

I didn't use it but this is what I understand.

Clare

Archived