Is there a tour of the Bridge? Galley? other areas?

California Native

There are tours of the bridge and galley ... we reserved at Guest Relations, and probably best to do this as soon as possible after boarding. We left our request with them and were contacted a few days later with options (had to decline the bridge tour as the ones offered to us were during our port days, but we did do the galley tour on a sea day.)

We cruised Journey in the Mediteranian this year. We are diamond members on Royal, which made us elite members on Azamara. We did not ask about galley or bridge tour, but found invitations to both in our cabin.

Bridge tour very interesting, Galley tour, not very interesting.

On our recently completed Journey cruise in the Baltics, we toured the bridge and the galley and found them both very interesting. We were also invited to the "engine" room - these days that means a visit to the control room where all the computers are wired into every part of the ship and where instructions from man to the machine regarding use of the four engines are input. As I understood it, on the Journey there are two individuals who work in the "engine" room itself - almost all of the ship's operation is implemented via computer instructions.

Sam

On Journey we were invited to the bridge and galley tours without asking (I enjoyed the galley tour, bridge tour not so much). We ran into the Hotel Director, and asked about the engine room, so he got us on the list.

On Quest, we received no invitations, but since the ships are identical we didn't pursue it. One of our tablemates at the Captain's tables inquired about a tour and the Captain said that it was available, but I missed what he said next about how to go about making arrangements.:o

So the short answers to your questions are yes and I don't know.:)

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for such a quick response..

This is very encouraging! This sort of stuff will help me in persuading DH that cruising is a viable travel option!

When we board, we will stop by the Purser's Desk as one of our errands and inquire. Since we are on for a B2B, it seems our chances would be pretty good to partake in a tour!

K.

We too were invited to engine room, bridge, and galley tours on Journey on the June 18th sailing in the Baltic Sea. We are Celebrity Captain's Club members, but without any special status. We also did not request these tours, although a comment about being interested in the galley might have produced that invitation. We had the distinct impression that they were paying special attention to those who registered for the Cruise Critic party, so it sure wouldn't hurt to sign up for that on your cruise if you are interested in these extras. We did not have accommodations that would account for our invitations either.

• 3 weeks later...

As an AmEx Platinum perk, the website lists an "exclusive behind-the-scenes ship tour." My guess is that it is one (or more) of the galley/bridge/engine room tours you have described above. DH has always wanted to do a bridge tour, so hopefully the combination of the platinum tracking number, Captain's Club Select, and cruise critic partygoer will be enough to make it happen.

Has anybody had any experience with the AMEX "exclusive" tour?

We have just returned from the July 12th Baltic cruise on the Journey. We were also invited on Bridge, Galley and Engine room tours. We got invitations to our stateroom, we have no special status. We asked who was invited on these tours and were told the list came from Miami or if someone expressed a particular interest while on board they would also be invited.

That's great news!! I just need the trend to hold out 3 more sailings. :)

Is the purser's desk staff the most appropriate person to notify or should we search out other specific people? Maybe the mid-cruise comment card?

Archived