Hotel in Norfolk with an indoor pool?

luvs2beachit

We are sailing on the Maasdam on Jan. 27 our ot Norfolk. We will be flying in a day early and will need a hotel and would like it to have an indoor pool. Any information would be appreciated. Also, any suggestions on what to do or see in month of January since beaches are out

I dont know of any hotels there w/ indoor pools (its been a few years since I lived there...)

Things to see/do in Norfolk:

• There's the Chrysler Museum (its an Art Museum - no cars inside)
  • There's the Douglas MacArthur Museum (it DOES have a Chrysler inside...)
  • There are also a couple of colonial/historic homes that give tours. (i forget the names)

A bit farther away, the Mariners Museum in Newport News has an amazing collection of maritime artifacts - including an entire room ("The Great Hall of Steam") given over to enourmous scale models of the great transatlantic liners.

And Colonial Williamsburg isn't too far away either...

Enjoy!

I'm not sure about downtown Norfolk, but there are a number of hotels at, or near the Virginia Beach oceanfront. I'm sure some of them have indoor pools. You'll get some very good rates this time of year. There is a hotel near the Virginia Beach Pavillion (I think it's a Doubletree) that definitely has an indoor pool. It's located on 19th street, about a mile from the oceanfront. However, I doubt that any of them have transportation from the airport or to the pier.

If you have a AAA membership you can pick up a tour book. That info should be in there.

Adding to Brian's list there's the Norfolk Scope near downtown. The Norfolk Admirals (AHL hockey) play there. There's also the Virginia Aquarium (formerly the Virginia Marine Science Museum) near the Va Beach oceanfront. They also have an IMAX theater. Downtown has the Harrison Opera House and several theater's (plays).

I would highly recommend the Holiday Inn Select near the Norfolk Airport. We stayed there pre-cruise in October. They have a free shuttle from the airport and also to-from the pier. They do have a very nice indoor pool and hot tub as well as a workout room. The hotel is only about 3 years old.

Although I didn't try the morning breakfast buffet I heard it was very nice. They have a large lobby with an attached bar to sit and enjoy an evening cocktail.

I booked directly through the hotel at a price of $123.20. Others in my group paid slightly more which included breakfast buffet. Most of us all drove to Norfolk and we left our cars there for the 10 days. The hotel couldn't be more accomidating to us.

The shuttle took about 15 mins to and from the pier. If you want to do a lot of activities pre-cruise downtown may be a better option. However, if you want a clean nice place to relax before your next day's cruise.. This is the place to stay.

(the hotel does have a shuttle that will take you places within a 10 mile radius. Call the hotel direct and inquire about this)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/231354866/231364976amgMsA

http://community.webshots.com/photo/231354866/231365384mOYweb

The nicest hotel in Norfolk is the downtown Marriott which has an indoor pool, really a very nice hotel. You can walk to the Nauticus pier and museum, tour the battleship Wisconsin as well. Also can walk to the upscale Macarthur Mall, Macarthur Memorial and museum, Waterside, Harbor cruises etc.

I believe the ship leaves from the Nauticus pier as well.

Thanks all for your information and suggestions. I am not sure how much touring we will be doing but am trying to line up a few options. Usually we fly into Fla. so there is never a question of what to do. For the past 4 yrs it has either been snowing or freezing here in NY so arriving in Fla. where it was warm was good enough in itself. Last year it was 14 below 0 when we left for the airport! Norfolk, however, will probly have similar weather as NY so strolling the beach will not be an option. Thanks for the info on the Holiday Inn where we could park. My husband wants to drive (7hrs) but I am against that. We would be in a world of stuff if we hit a snow storm or something happened to the car enroute. But just in case he wins this battle it's good to know that we can leave the car there.

Thanks again

Judie

Brian:

If you'd been inside it you would not have to ask.

luvs2beachit: How long will you be in the area? Colonial Williamsburg is not to be missed if possible. BTW we are in our wacky weather phase here now. 50 knot winds, windchill of zero and snow on Sunday, 60+ degrees Thursday (so it is forecast).

There is also Nauticus (Matitime museum w/ Battlleship Wisconsin) right at the embark (embarkation for those so inclined) facility.

Enjoy the area and your cruise.

MarkB

Thanks Mark.........just as I thought......the weather there is as crazy as ours in NY. Yesterday 12degrees with wind chill of 10 below and snow.........tomorrow expected to reach 50 to 55 degrees. Insane!

I do have one other question.......how far is Va. Beach and Williamsburg from the cruise pier?

It takes about an hour from pier to Williamsburg.That is without any traffic delays. Between these two points there are bridge-tunnels to travel, as well as much road construction. It is not a trip that you would want to be rushed by time schedule.

W`burg is well worth a visit.. lots to see and do...

You might consider spending the night there instead of Norfolk. There are lots of nice places to stay.Get out early day of sailing to give yourself enough time for any traffic delays. You may not have any! That is the worst part not knowing what delays you might encounter.

I live in this area....

But, after years of hosting the circus, wrestling, rodeos, and indoor racing, it SURE could use some of either 'breath freshener' inside.

Luvs2beachit: Driving times are so subjective I hate to give them, but figure 90 minutes to 2 hours to Williamsburg and 45-60 to the beach from the pier, and I shouldn't get in trouble for making anyone miss their ship (I have not factored in "getting lost" time).

Cheers

MarkB

My wife and I stayed at the Holiday Select Inn on North Military Road in Norfolk the night before boarding the Maasdam on Dec. 11. I found an internet rate (AAA/AARP) of $79.20 which the clerk honored when I called the motel. This included parking during the cruise as well as a free shuttle to the pier. There is an indoor pool and an exercise room. There i s also a restaurant on site.

It is a very nice facility. The staff was great.

If I parked in the cruise lot it would have cost me $110 for parking alone.

Archived