Quest Aug 23, 2009 Transportation to Civitaveccia

lovtotvl

My Husband and I are looking to share transportation from Rome to the port on Aug 23, we are staying at the Intercontinental Hotel De Ville.

Log-in to the roll call for your cruise and ask if anyone is staying at your hotel. I am sure if there is, they would like to share a van with you. Check the limo/transfer services in rome to get an idea of what they charge.

Here's how my Dad and I did it (quickly and easily) this May-

Find your way to Termini Station; it's the center (I believe) station in Rome. From there, you can buy a one way ticket to Civitavecchia for about 9 Euro (not sure if that is for both, but it's still a really good deal, in my opinion).

If you haven't traveled by train in Italy (or been there at all, in our case) make sure to arrive at least a half an hour before the departure of your train. Print your tickets and proceed through the main gateway at the center of the station (can't miss it!). Our train was at gate 29, which was far away; we had to walk quite far from the main gates, but signs were well-marked. Make sure to validate your ticket in the yellow machines, and firmly ignore any beggars that enter the train. The trip took us about 30 minutes total, with several stops along the way. The trip itself is quite beautiful to the untamed eye!

Upon exiting the train station in Civitavecchia, turn right, and proceed down the cobblestone path for about .5 mile. You will pass a row of touristy cafes and stores, as well as a large city landmark/statue. Eventually, you will reach a large gate, through which you should be able to see the Mediterranean; also waiting there should be an Azamara shuttle waiting to take you to your ship!

Sorry for the winded explanation, and if you are already familiar with the "drill"; hope it helps!

What about luggage on the train? Is it really feasible to do this if you have a carry-on and a large piece of checked luggage?

DH and I took the train as well; each of us had a 25" suitcase and a small carry-on. You'll only want to do the train if you can manage your own luggage ... lifting it on and off the train (it stays in the train car with you, in a luggage storage area), as well as down and up a staircase in the Civitavecchia train station (depending on which track you arrive on, you may need to go down a set of stairs, through a tunnel under the tracks and back up a set up stairs to get to the station.) From the station, we walked (15-20 minutes) to the port entrance, where the shuttles will take you to the ship. Taxis are usually available at the station if you don't want to walk to the shuttle.

The Regional trains take just over an hour from the Termini in Rome to Civitavecchia, and the cost is 4.5 euros/pp. There's lots of info on the Europe/Med forum on this if you want more info, and this is a great site (by a CC member) on 'Trains in Italy for Cruise Passengers): http://www.ftroute.com/ItalianTrains.htm

DH and I took the train as well; each of us had a 25" suitcase and a small carry-on. You'll only want to do the train if you can manage your own luggage ... lifting it on and off the train (it stays in the train car with you, in a luggage storage area), as well as down and up a staircase in the Civitavecchia train station (depending on which track you arrive on, you may need to go down a set of stairs, through a tunnel under the tracks and back up a set up stairs to get to the station.) From the station, we walked (15-20 minutes) to the port entrance, where the shuttles will take you to the ship. Taxis are usually available at the station if you don't want to walk to the shuttle.

The Regional trains take just over an hour from the Termini in Rome to Civitavecchia, and the cost is 4.5 euros/pp. There's lots of info on the Europe/Med forum on this if you want more info, and this is a great site (by a CC member) on 'Trains in Italy for Cruise Passengers): http://www.ftroute.com/ItalianTrains.htm

The luggage is in your coach then? My experience with some European trains is that you have to keep an eye on your bags every time the train stops. Theft is THAT bad.

Are there no stops?

It seems to me this solution is great for backpacking "yung'uns", but there comes a time when you take the big splash and order a taxi.

Then again, each to his own.:)

Smooth sailing....

Luggage is in the coach (at least in 2nd class). We kept ours with us, but that can be a problem if there are a lot of people on board, in which case it needs to go into the luggage area. You can keep an eye on it, or use a small cable lock (ski type) to link your bags together & attached to a post.

There are stops along the way ... the number of them depends on the type of train.

We're not backpacking youngsters, but we were were not alone in being 50 something's on a train with luggage. We had the option of going by taxi/van with two other couples who were staying at our hotel, but we declined ... not because of cost, but because we knew we would enjoy it more by train. It worked out great and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.:)

Archived