US Direct in Vancouver

cdkempton

For our 8/28 Alaska cruise we received, in the mail today, luggage tags and instructions for US Direct. We are coming in a few days early so we won't be using it but thought others might be interested in knowing about it. It looks like a terrific plan if you are coming in to YVR prior to 2 pm on the day of sailing. If you're coming in on a direct flight from the U.S. to Canada this will work for you. You put your luggage tags on your checked luggage prior to airline check-in and your luggage is whisked away upon arrival and taken to the ship. You must have purchased a HAL transfer in order to be eligible for this service. We won't be using it but it sounds like a dream if you're coming in on the day of sailing. The instructions that came in the mail were very clear. I hope some of you are able to use this service. :)

Happy Sails!!

That is great to hear!! We want to use it at the end of our cruise for when we arrive at Vancouver and fly back to the U.S. in September. It had not been "up and running" this spring and I was worried they would not be using it this year. Our flight is at noon the day our ship arrives and that seems to be the best way to make it the airport on time. What did they say it would cost? Did you get your paperwork this early because you did your on-line checkin already?

US Direct often winds down after mid-September but here is a link to the program. There is no cost for the program itself but it does require that you purchase a ship's transfer to the airport from the ship and some lines do levy a fee for handling your luggage.

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/about/cruiseandtourism/usdirectprocess.aspx

Regarding paperwork; I have done the on-line check-in but can not print our docs yet. That will be available on Saturday. I was quite surprised to receive the luggage tags and all the info since we did not request cruise line transfers. This is the link they showed on the HAL doc I received. http://www.yvr.ca/cruiseinfo/

Happy Sails!

Archived