Which tour operator to choose for Stingray Sandbar?

gam888

Going on Carnival Legend in August to Grand Cayman. Did research on cruise critic and read about Nativeway, Stingray sailing, Moby Dick and Captain Marvin. They seem to be very similar in price. I think Stingray Sailing is $45, a bit more because they take you out on the catamaran. We are not big snorkeler, but would enjoy seeing nice coral reefs if we are going to do that anyway. One of us is a non swimmer. Would like to see the Stingray Sandbar. Which one of these tour operators is the best in terms of bringing you to a location that has the most interesting snorkeling. We are not interested in going to the Rum Point Beach, so just the Stingray Sandbar and snorkeling would do, please suggest. We have 3 teenagers with us.

The reason I chose Stingray Sailing is because they only make 2 stops. I do not want to be on a boat/catamaran all day. I believe the others make 3. I read all the reviews/recommendations as well.

If you've got 3 teenagers, they would probably enjoy Rum Point Beach. We were just there last week. We had booked the Rays, Reef and Rum Point Beach tour through Nativeway. They only take a small group out on their boat. We had 17 in our group. They will tie a life jacket around your waist for the snorkeling if you'd like. The water is very salty, so you float quite easily. I still took the life jacket anyways. Their tour includes lunch at Rum Point Beach. After lunch we had close to 90 minutes to relax at the beach. The water was absolutely beautiful.

5689_1100806890566_1538490186_30529.jpg?t=1246938624

Here's a picture I took last week of the three 18 year old girls in our group at Rum Point Beach. They had a blast there! ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Going on Carnival Legend in August to Grand Cayman. Did research on cruise critic and read about Nativeway, Stingray sailing, Moby Dick and Captain Marvin. They seem to be very similar in price. I think Stingray Sailing is $45, a bit more because they take you out on the catamaran. We are not big snorkeler, but would enjoy seeing nice coral reefs if we are going to do that anyway. One of us is a non swimmer. Would like to see the Stingray Sandbar. Which one of these tour operators is the best in terms of bringing you to a location that has the most interesting snorkeling. We are not interested in going to the Rum Point Beach, so just the Stingray Sandbar and snorkeling would do, please suggest. We have 3 teenagers with us.

Try ShoreTrips.com we have used them for years on cruises and land with no problems.

My daughter and I (she's 19) really enjoyed our tour with Stingray Sailing. The catamaran was in great shape and Chip, the owner, and Mark, the guide, were awesome!

I'd highly recommend them!

We just got back from the 7-19 sailing on the Carnival Legend and went with StingraySailing. I liked the idea of a small group setting over the crammed in larger boats. After the stingray stop they took us to a near by reef where they knew an eel resided. They went in the water with us, dove down and interacted with the eel. The eel definitely made for some great pics. Chip and his crew were great.

My whole family and I used Captain Marvin's, and were very happy :). It was us and one other family on the boat, so very small and uncrowded (esp. compared to the hordes of people on some of the other boats).

So then if I'm understanding correctly, Stingray Sailing uses a catamaran while Moby Dick uses a faster boat? Is one more likely to get seasick on the catamaran? Also, I heard Moby Dick transports you in hot ugly old school buses. I don't mind the ugly but not crazy about the hot. Does Stingray Sailing and Captain Marvin use air conditioned buses/vans?

Just got back off the Conquest, and had an amazing jet ski tour to Stingray City through Fat Fish Adventures!! Very personable, reasonable, and fantastic family run operation. We were picked up by air-conditioned van and shuttled to the start point. Our guide Peter was knowledgeable, very informative, and caring about two of us who were a bit intimidated of the ride. By the time we came back, we were both very comfortable with the ride! I have a fear of deep water, but he made us feel very safe.

You miss the crowds (our group only had 7 ppl plus the guide), and it is a very personable and close-up experience with the rays. As well, you get three experiences in one for the money, riding the jet skis and snorkeling, and the rays. Try them out, you can't miss!!!

Any other particular reason other than the hot ride?

We really enjoyed the tour, the bus was a bit hot, but the ride was short and nothing like spotting a local lizard or 2 to get your mind on something else.

As for the speed of the boat, we never went very fast, even though the boat could. The one nice thing is that he does have a covered section in the boat, which provided some shade when not in the water.

I included an excerpt from my cruise review below about the Moby Dick Tour (full review can be found here)

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=56659

and pictures from Grand Caymen here including a lot from the trip

...In Grand Cayman, we booked a stingray excursion directly with Moby Dick Tours. This was greatly entertaining and well managed. When we got to the sandbar, there were a lot of boats there and Mark elected to reverse the snorkeling and stingrays. The snorkeling was nearby on a reef with a fair amount of fish, coral and even some eels. The kids thought it was great once they got accustomed to it. Despite making a note to do so otherwise, we had never had them practice and learning in the open ocean is a bit more difficult. We brought our own masks and snorkels although the ones that Moby dick had available were very good quality (a lot of people just brought snorkels). We then went over to the stingrays. We had plenty of squid to feed, the guides made sure everyone got to feed, hold and kiss the stingrays. This was our favorite excursion overall.

I vote for Stingray Sailing. Just went last Wed. Chip personally picks you up at the pier in his new, air-conditioned van/bus. Very nice. He and Mark and Captain Bert were very nice. He has vests if you need them. The catamaran was restful and relaxing and does have shade, if you want it. We had about 20 people I'd say and the other boats looked overloaded. No seasickness, except on Freedom! This was a highlight of our trip!

We really enjoyed the tour, the bus was a bit hot, but the ride was short and nothing like spotting a local lizard or 2 to get your mind on something else.

The snorkeling photos on Flickr (near restaurant?)...was that off shore on your own or through the tour company?

The snorkeling photos on Flickr (near restaurant?)...was that off shore on your own or through the tour company?

That was on our own, they had a ladder right down to the water. We paid for lunch, and while we waited, took advantage of the access.

The tour company did make a stop to let us out, but it was less than a block from the cruise terminal we were tendered at.

I have gotten sick on catamarans (as has my dh) so we typically avoid them! How long is the bus ride? Would obviously prefer airconditioned but if not a long ride we can manage.

Does the catamaran have a washroom? shower? (to rinse off when you reboard?)...any info greatly appreciated!

Stingray Sailings van is Air conditioned. They do have a restroom, but I didn't use it and a hose at the back to rinse off the salt. I got seasick on the cruise, but did not on the cat.

Thanks for the info - I get sick on the catamarans (and friend's sailboat) but not on the ships! ha ha ha :D

I went on the Rays, Reef, & Rumpoint tour with Nativeway last month while we were on the Carnival Legend. My family & I LOVED it. I think that they might have a tour that just includes rays & reef, you can look on their webpage. We really enjoyed our tour because it wasn't too many people in our group & our tour guides were great (Thomas & Moses). You spend awhile at Stingray City, then they take just a few minutes away to snorkel. They will give you lifejackets if you want. I am a decent swimmer but got a lifejacket to float on (a LOT easier!). There is alot of beautiful coral and we seen quite a few fish. After that they take you to Rumpoint beach for lunch. We ate and walked around for a little while.

Hope you have fun, whichever one you pick : )

with hurricane approching, i am concerened about booking ahead of time. can you get off the ship and purchase an excursion like this? STINGRAY CITY- 3 SNORKEL STOP TRIP WITH THE BEST, THE ORIGINAL! seems like the one i want. where are they located on the port?

Did Rays Reefs and Rum Point with NativeWay last week and it was awesome! Rode in air conditioned van to boat. Boat had covering, bathroom and hose to rinse off. Excursion also included lunch at Rum Point, which was very good. They don't charge you if the ship doesn't make port. As we got off the Conquest, there were many vendors looking for passengers who weren't already booked. I felt more comfortable prebooking and using a company that was highly recommended by the people on this board.

We will be in the Grand Caymans on 12/26/09 and the I am very much interest is snorkeling or swimming with the stingrays; however DH is not a swimmer and DD hates putting her head under the water. My question is there a place we can interact with the stingrays in shallow waters? If so what company would you recommend we take the excursion with?

Thanks

We will be in the Grand Caymans on 12/26/09 and the I am very much interest is snorkeling or swimming with the stingrays; however DH is not a swimmer and DD hates putting her head under the water. My question is there a place we can interact with the stingrays in shallow waters? If so what company would you recommend we take the excursion with?

Thanks

I believe all of 'stingray city' sandbar is in relatively shallow waters - maybe 4 feet or so? So you feet should be on the ground (depending on how tall you are I guess?). Doesn't matter which group you go with (but you can also ask them that question?). Check out some of the websites of the most popular independent tour operators as they all have pics and you can see people in the water interacting with the rays!

Archived