Waiving of optional fees for rental cars in HI

flashdog_1

I checked my credit cards, and with my car insurance agent and it looks like everything's cool to NOT take the rental agency's extra fees. BUT the agent threw in at the last minute, "you need to know that if you are involved in an accident where the car cannot be driven back to the rental place, you will be liable for the RENT on the car until it is returned, which could mean weeks if it is in a garage!"

I'd love to know your opinions about getting agency extra insurance vs. this risk.

Also assume your own deductible would apply. Let's hear some ideas! Thanks

I checked my credit cards, and with my car insurance agent and it looks like everything's cool to NOT take the rental agency's extra fees. BUT the agent threw in at the last minute, "you need to know that if you are involved in an accident where the car cannot be driven back to the rental place, you will be liable for the RENT on the car until it is returned, which could mean weeks if it is in a garage!"

I'd love to know your opinions about getting agency extra insurance vs. this risk.

Also assume your own deductible would apply. Let's hear some ideas! Thanks

For my policy, my own deductible does apply so I assume that typical. I never take the rental company insurance for this reason. I think you just have to weigh the probability of being in an accident to that extent that you it would be that bad. Of course, I know anything can happen and it just depends on the risk you are willing to take. Their insurance can get expensive too.

My auto insurance and credit card cover accidents, as well. However, I ALWAYS take the rental agency's insurance in Hawaii. I've seen too many accidents and for awhile, there were a large number of car break-ins (NEVER leave anything within sight in your car!). For me, I'd just rather know that if something happens, I can walk away from incident without anything showing up on my insurance record. I just budget this into the expense of the trip. It gives me peace of mind so that nothing worries me on my Hawaiian vacation. (Well, I still have to worry about where to find the best Gecko Cooler at the end of the day...;))

My auto insurance and credit card cover accidents, as well. However, I ALWAYS take the rental agency's insurance in Hawaii. I've seen too many accidents and for awhile, there were a large number of car break-ins (NEVER leave anything within sight in your car!). For me, I'd just rather know that if something happens, I can walk away from incident without anything showing up on my insurance record. I just budget this into the expense of the trip. It gives me peace of mind so that nothing worries me on my Hawaiian vacation. (Well, I still have to worry about where to find the best Gecko Cooler at the end of the day...;))

What is the best idea about gasoline? Do you let the rental agency fill up the tank or do you do it?

What is the best idea about gasoline? Do you let the rental agency fill up the tank or do you do it?

I always fill up the tank myself. There are several gas stations very near the airport/car rental areas. The thing to remember is that the car rental places are going to charge for a full tank no matter if you only used a 1/4 of a tank on your day in port. And even on a land vacation where it would be easier to return the car near empty, I always keep the tank over 1/2 full and just top it off before returning it.

It was asked on another thread but thought I'd point out that the cost of gas in Lahaina/Kahului is $3.58/gal today. (And the car rental companies will typically charge you a bit more than that. So you can see the advantage to putting in a few gallons yourself vs having to pay for a full tank that may or may not be riding close to empty.)

Archived