Transfers from airport to ship and pre - post cruise. Costa Rica

way2cynical

Did you meet up with Windstars transfer before or after you picked up your luggage?

OH, and we did use Windstar's transfer/excursion from San Jose to Puerto Caldera and back.

We hadn't stayed in Windstar's hotel (obviously... as I mentioned, we stayed at the LOVELY Hotel Bougainvillea), so we just took a taxi over to Windstar's hotel rendezvous point (BTW, their hotel looked very luxurious... just didn't have the native charm & botanical gardens Bougainvillea did).

The tour was great. It was in a large, comfy coach (tour bus). There was a guide who gave wonderful commentary on the scenery (we were there in January, and the native "poro poro" trees were in vibrant orange bloom). About halfway, both to and fro, we stopped at a cafe/souvenir stand/rest area/butterfly farm.

Did you meet up with Windstars transfer before or after you picked up your luggage?

I don't have a relevant answer for you -- I assume you're asking about meeting up with the Windstar contact at the airport? We actually stayed at a hotel we arranged on our own for a few days before using Windstar's transfer to the ship, so we weren't picked up at the airport by Windstar.

Have I properly assessed your question? If not, feel free to ask again!

• 2 weeks later...

When we flew into Costa Rice December 23, we had pre-arranged for Coach Costa Rica to pick us up and drive us up to Peace Lodge, about 2 hours away. After we picked up our bags and cleared customs, Roiner waited with the crowds for us to walk out of the customs area, with a sign with our name on it...couldn't have been easier. He also drove us from Peace lodge to the bottom of the gangplank to get onto the boat. Upon our return to Caldera January 2, we arranged ahead of time to get off the boat at 8, and there he was, as scheduled. Patricia, Roiner and Coach Costa Rica were just fabulous to deal with and to spend time with. By the way, everyone is asked to be off the boat by 8:30 am latest.

In case anyone is looking for a fabulous place to stay, out of the city, that will just start or end your Costa Rica experience, check out Peace Lodge. It is fabulous!

• 2 weeks later...

We made our transport arrangements for January 8th with Odyssey Tours and couldn't have been more pleased! We picked up our luggage, cleared customs and Diego was waiting for us at the exit with our names on a sign. He drove us to the Doubletree, picked us up there the next afternoon and took us directly to the Windstar. Odyssey has the permits necessary to go right to the ship. When we disembarked Jan. 16th, Alvaro was waiting for us right at the ship, again. I highly recommend Odyssey Tours. As for Nicaragua, we never got there! While enroute Jan. 9 we encountered hurricane force wind gusts and Captain MacAry turned the ship around and we headed south. The passengers were unaware until he told us in the morning. Instead, we spent the day anchored at Flamingo in beautiful weather then on to Playa del Coco as planned. It was a great trip!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all who recommended Coach Costa Rica for pre/post tours. We especially thank Screen-Gem....and Patricia and Roiner say HI! They were excited that their "coffee friends from Canada" had recommended them.

We contacted Patricia and requested Roiner as our driver. She had a free day, so she decided to join us. The four of us had a blast. It was like being with friends. They really are proud of their country and happy to show it off.

Their bus is so comfortable and in great condition. Their pride in their country is so evident, and the tour was so complete. We spent a day with them. Toured a coffee plantation (Doka) and a butterfly farm and we invited them to join us for a traditional Costa Rican lunch. Very good!

They got us right onto the dock and right up to the ship....while others dropped their passengers off outside the gates, about a half-mile or so walk, with all their luggage.

Screen-gem: I have some great pictures of Patricia and Roiner. If you would like me to get them to you, please contact me at jm.walker05@gmailcom.

We just booked a room there for two days before our 3/20 sailing, and we were wondering how to get from La Paz to the ship. Thanks for the advice! Was there any visible damage from last year's earthquake?

Margaret

2009 Victoria Prince Yangtzee River Solar Eclipse

2006 Clipper Odyssey Viet Nam

2004 Radisson Diamond Turkey & Greek Isles Transit of Venus

2002 Radisson Hanseatic Antarctica & South Georgia

2001 Windstar Virgin Islands

1999 Sky Princess Baltic Sea Solar Eclipse

1998 Paul Gauguin Tahiti

1996 Star Princess Alaska

Archived