Best Kids Camp - Legend or Valor

uksaint

Hi All - Cruised with Princess 3 times and RC twice, now wanting to try Carnival. We are looking at virtually identical western caribbean itineraries on Legend and Valor - I think we'd be happy with either, so it boils down to which would be better for the kids aged 6 and 9.

Does one have a better kids camp than the other? Any other considerations for the kids i.e. the outdoor movies on the Valor could be a plus.

Thanks

Andy

We were on the Valor a few weeks ago, and unfortunately we were not very impressed with the kids camp for our 10 year olds. We had previously cruised with RC, and the kids loved going to the camp; in fact they never wanted to leave. This trip on Carnival, the kids went a couple of times but really never wanted to be there. I don't think they went at all the last few days, as they felt like the counselors were 'just there' rather than being involved with the kids. For other activities, the kids really liked the laser tag in the showroom, the waterslide, and even a bit of the mini-golf. Maybe we just had a bad experience, but it definitely made me appreciate the RC camp. We haven't cruised the Legend, so I can't say if our Valor experience is unique.

Everything else on the Valor cruise was great. The ship and the ports were all really good.

Thanks - that is a concern. I have read a couple reviews that suggest the kids over 9 are left more to organise their own entertainment at times. I guess this is OK is it is just some of the time, but my son enjoys the organised activities and has high expectations after our last cruise on Independence.

They should be all run pretty much the same I would think. They would all follow the same guidelines wouldn't they? Plus, if someone here say something about one of the two. How do you know if the same people are still on the ship. Some or all could be different staff. From the people I have heard talking about Camp Carnival. No one that I have heard has said anything bad about anything on the ships we have been on. We have heard parents and kids say that they have had the best time in the programs. The kids we have seen have always looked like they were all having a great time.

The last time I cruised Carnival with my children, then almost 3 and 5 years old, was two summers ago. We sailed the Victory to St John, NB; 4 day cruise. The ship, etc. was great, but my children were not thrilled with the camp at all. I figured the camp may have been a little off b/c it was a shorter cruise. I am sailing on the Miracle in August. I hope my kids like the camp!

They should be all run pretty much the same I would think. They would all follow the same guidelines wouldn't they? Plus, if someone here say something about one of the two. How do you know if the same people are still on the ship. Some or all could be different staff. From the people I have heard talking about Camp Carnival. No one that I have heard has said anything bad about anything on the ships we have been on. We have heard parents and kids say that they have had the best time in the programs. The kids we have seen have always looked like they were all having a great time.

Very valid points - I guess the particular personnel on your cruise influence this aspect more than anything else.

I was a little concerned looking at the online version of the Caper for 9-11 yr olds on Legend - there seemed to be little on the program that would interest my son. (He is not into arts/crafts/coloring and there seemed to be a lot of that). However, the program for the Glory looked a lot more promising. (I haven't seen one for Valor yet) That is why I asked the question about differences between the two ships.

Thanks for all replies. Much appreciated.

Andy

If you think the Lido-deck movies would appeal to your kids, I would book Valor over Legend. When we sailed Valor in February 2008, we spent youngest son's 8th birthday on the Lido deck, watching both Harry Potter and a lunar eclipse. That wouldn't have happened on Legend.

I think the Camp Carnival experience is more dependent on staff than on ship. We've generally been very pleased with Camp Carnival (9 cruises). There was one less-than-great cruise, but it was much more related to staff than ship or schedule.

Archived