Just off the Voyager June 28,2009

Perfect timing for me to read about your wonderful experience! So much to read, and try to understand as my husband and I prepare to go to Europe. It's my first time, and I can't wait! I'm not sure your itinerary is exactly what we're going to have, but it's close enough.

This is my 2nd RC cruise, last being a long time ago, and just a quickie to Mexico. The food was mediocre on that trip, so I was a bit bummed to learn your trip wasn't better. Oh well, less weight I'll gain!:D

We're on deck 9, port side (says my husband) and in a JR suite. I'm going to read more, and then ask you questions. Thank you for sharing!

Sandm, I see your full review is now posted

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=56177

I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. What a wonderful trip you had. I am glad you enjoyed London (my home town).

I see you did the 'Amalfi coast by motor launch and Sorrento' tour. We looked at that but we saw it was 9 1/2 hours but only 45 minutes on the boat.

How much time was spent on buses getting to and from places? I cannot travel very far by bus and I don't really like such long tours. It also seemed very expensive for what it is.

When I saw this was one of your favourite tours of the cruise I thought I might have to think again.

We thought of doing Pompeii by train then on to Sorrento and back to Naples by Hydrofoil but we have now discovered that the last hydrofoil leaves Sorrento at 4.30. That is a bit early.

The Capri tour is out because it warns we might have to stand for up to 90 minutes. DH would never be able to stand for that long. He can walk slowly but not stand for long periods.

We are settled for all the other ports but it looks like we are back to square one for Naples.

Last trip we did Capri, Sorrento, and Pompeii. It was fabulous but Capri DOES have a lot of waiting for the furnicular and walking. The seniors could nver have done this again. This year as I wrote we did the Amalfi coast by motor launch. I pulled out my journal for details. We took a coach to Salerno as the guide gave us history and details of Naples then Salerno. I think this was about an hour. the times may be off but I don't remember being much more. We took a boat from Salerno to Amalfi with a guided tour. The boat had both shade and sun. We were able to stroll around Amalfi the church had about 60 stairs but none of us went up the stairs or in the church. They were very strict about shoulders covered and didn't care to do the steps. After a short stroll we had coffee and pastries at one of several cafes. Yummie! We then took the boat back to Salerno and re boarded the coach for the drive to Sorrento. This drive seemed a little longer but the view was breathtaking and I think my father in law stood for part of it. He needs to stretch his back. We went to the furniture store for an explanation of how they make furniture then to lunch. A 3 course meal with wine. There was about 1 1/2 hours of free time. We shopped at the stores but there are benches to just sit and people watch. My father was quite content doing that while we shopped. the coach ride back to Naples was last and this was maybe 2 hours but again we just rested so I am not sure. Perhaps you could check a map I think I dozed so it went by very quick and I am on my way to work so I can't check right now.

I know much of what our group does can be done on ones own ,however ,MY group loves the guided tours for the history, and info and structure. Plus the seniors listen and stay up with the group more than if I am the one leading. They tend to meander and wander if I am the leader. This REALLY works well for us. All of us from ages 14-80 really enjoyed this tour. I think Sorrento is one of my favorite towns.

Archived