celebrity vs RCI

raz5

Please do not take this the wrong way, we sailed the Solstice in January and hated it. The ship was beautiful and the service was over the top and I don't have a single complaint regarding these portions of the cruise, however, Celebrity was the most boring cruise line ever. I could not wait to get off this ship and will never sail Celebrity again until I am 75 years old, rude, obnoxious and feel like all I want to do is sit around and look at the world go by.

Please do not take this the wrong way, we sailed the Solstice in January and hated it. The ship was beautiful and the service was over the top and I don't have a single complaint regarding these portions of the cruise, however, Celebrity was the most boring cruise line ever. I could not wait to get off this ship and will never sail Celebrity again until I am 75 years old, rude, obnoxious and feel like all I want to do is sit around and look at the world go by.

Wow ... this person clearly had a totally different experience than we have had!

The main differences are:

• far fewer announcements ... virtually none in the cabin, and you will generally just hear a noon announcement from the Master (weather & location primarily)
  • slightly better quality food
  • fantastic specialty restaurants. Normandie is truly excellent
  • Service is a step above. Your stateroom attendant probably won't hang around the door and chat, but the service we've received was really goo.
  • Fewer silly pool games. Some poolside activities - but without belly flop contests.
  • Summit and the other M class ships have lots of interesting little corners where you can sit and enjoy music, or just watch the world pass by
  • The crowd is older than on Royal Caribbean, and there aren't as many children or teens. But if you're doing the 7-nighters on Summit you'll find that the average age certainly isn't 70!!!
  • On the downside ... if you like to eat dinner in the buffet, there is not a full dinner buffet. There is pizza, a made-to-order pasta bar and salad bar in the evening, plus some sushi
  • There is an option for casual dining - seated served dinner in the buffet area at night. Lots of nice alternatives there.
  • If you like to dress formally, you'll find many more fellow passengers who feel the same.

That's what immediately comes to mind. Can you tell we like Celebrity? (And we do like RCCI too!) :D

have been a confirmed RCI cruiser. Recently booked on Celebrity Summit for April 2010. What if any differences can I expect?

You are indeed a poor soul if you are a confirmed RCCL cruiser. I still sail on Celebrity while once was more than enough on RCCL. On Celebrity Cruise Line: 1) The food tastes better and is identified. 2) Fewer announcements made over PA system. 3) Celebrity service is much better than on RCCL.

The people that sail on Celebrity Cruise Line are generally older, and more sophisticated than those that sail on RCCL. However, when I go on Celebrity Cruise Line it usually is for a longer cruise which attracts an older crowd anyway.

The shows are good on Celebrity and the night life is better.

I have to admit that we do find RCCL more lively and the entertainment is better. We also use the Concierge Lounge during the day and after dinner, a facility not provided on Celebrity.

We are elderly - but not down and certainly not out!! We prefer a good mix of age groups and a few children (not tooooo many!:D). Celebrity is very nice and the age group not as elderly as HAL in general. But we do cruise on RCCL, as well as HAL, Princess, Regent, Seabourn, Silversea etc.

Our preference, oddly enough, is Royal Caribbean!! Not too stuffy and fewer 'wannabees'!! (Their boasting and the snooties can get on your nerves sometimes!! LOL) RCCL has lovely ships and we find the staff very nice.

Not been on a bad cruise.......... yet!!:D;)

have been a confirmed RCI cruiser. Recently booked on Celebrity Summit for April 2010. What if any differences can I expect?

In my opinion, the ship itself is more important than the cruise line, but since Summit is an M class ship, I will compare that class of ship to RCL's Radiance class ships.

Celebrity's M class ships and RCL's Radiance class ships are built on the same hull and are similar in size.

Radiance class D-1 balcony cabins are larger than M class concierge class balcony cabins and feel more spacious.

M class ships are very pretty, but Radiance class ships are gorgeous.

Celebrity does not have a dinner buffet, but has an informal dining set up in the buffet area, for a small service charge, with service from waiters in training.

The buffet on Radiance class ships is well designed with multiple stations while the buffet on M class ships is like a cafeteria line.

M class ships have a small spa buffet for breakfast and lunch that serves gourmet health food. Gourmet health food may sound like a contradiction in terms but that spa food is really good.

Radiance class ships have more young families with children while M class ships have older passengers and not many children. For this reason there is an upbeat energetic feel to a Royal Caribbean ship while Celebrity is more laid back.

Royal Caribbean has more activities during the day and better entertainment in the evening.

I love the Italian Restaurant on Royal Caribbean, but Celebrity has a better specialty restaurant.

Celebrity services five separate courses at dinner while Royal Caribbean combines the first three courses (salad, soup, appetizer) into the starter section of their menu. Therefore, the dinner process is approximately two hours on Celebrity while it is a little shorter on Royal Caribbean. At one time the food in Celebrity's main dining room was much better than Royal Caribbean but now it is very comparable.

On a Celebrity ship all of your silverware is on the table when you arrive and removed after it is used while Royal Caribbean does it more traditionally.

I hope this has been helpful.

Okay, well, how do you take this the right way? (I'm assuming with a grain of salt:rolleyes:)

Archived