How far out do you plan your cruises and other ?'s...

valancy1

Since we started cruising we have done one cruise a year. Generally I book the next cruise after I have paid off the current cruise. I'm always paying on a cruise and it helps to keep the excitement alive.

We plan at least a year in advance and have done it as far as 16 months ahead. Typically we find that it is easier to prepare financially for the trip while at the same time getting prices that typically are a little cheaper. It helps set a goal I find. Once you commit to it, its easier to prepare for it.

LOL!!!

I'm doing exactly the same thing!!

I asked valancy1 if she wanted to join us. Maybe that's why she started this thread?!?!

:D

Plus the step daughter would be 18 by then and we could have Hawaii to ourselves if we did it.

I love the idea of the group cruise, but I would like to be the one hosting it someday! I have to look for some of those (it always seems that I miss those $25 deposit deadlines drat it all) because we could cruise more often when not having to come up with the $500 for our deposits....

LOL!!!

I'm doing exactly the same thing!!

I asked valancy1 if she wanted to join us. Maybe that's why she started this thread?!?!

Perhaps we'll be together! Which itinerary do you want? We sailed Honolulu to Vancouver last time; it was an awesome cruise, but we're hoping for warmer at sea weather this time. Our preference is Honolulu to Ensenada (for the weather and sea days at the end of cruise) with an overnight in Kahului. We'd rather cruise in the spring, but fall is the best time for both of us to get away from work. We are still debating between 2010 and 2011 and will decide in a couple months when air becomes available for next September. If you haven't done it, this is an awesome cruise!

I have one booked for January 2011. I did it so early to get the ship I want (live 30 min tops from the port) and get an aft balcony (only way fiancee will sail now).

There's zero risk in booking way early, you can always get your money back. Guarantees you get the sailing, cabin, and dining time you want.

I booked the last one like 16 months in advance. In that time I switched ships twice and cabins 3 times as better itineraries/ships/prices/cabins appeared. What was great about it was they already had our deposits and info - and the dates were already set for folks vacation schedules - and it was easy to just move us all with one phone call.

All,

How far out do you plan your cruises? How are some of you planning your 2011 cruises--is this information readily available or do you have some "in" with a PVP or TA?

Do you (or better asked, CAN you) pay a deposit and continue to pay on it throughout the full year plus?

I would love to plan something for 2011 (Hawaii? Exotic? Southern?) and to do something longer and more special would need more time to pay it off.

It feels a bit overwhelming to me to plan that far out simply because I don't know. Anyone want to chat about cruising in the future?

I would love to have a couple in the "cooker"... lol...

Thoughts?

Perhaps we'll be together! Which itinerary do you want? We sailed Honolulu to Vancouver last time; it was an awesome cruise, but we're hoping for warmer at sea weather this time. Our preference is Honolulu to Ensenada (for the weather and sea days at the end of cruise) with an overnight in Kahului. We'd rather cruise in the spring, but fall is the best time for both of us to get away from work. We are still debating between 2010 and 2011 and will decide in a couple months when air becomes available for next September. If you haven't done it, this is an awesome cruise!

All I can say is great minds think alike!!

That's exactly the one I'm waiting for, for the same reasons.

Honolulu to Ensenada.....warmer weather and five sea days at the end. We'd stay a few days pre-cruise in Hawaii.

I've never been and DH was there once for three hours on his way home from Viet Nam.

We're excited about it!

All I can say is great minds think alike!!

That's exactly the one I'm waiting for, for the same reasons.

Honolulu to Ensenada.....warmer weather and five sea days at the end. We'd stay a few days pre-cruise in Hawaii.

I've never been and DH was there once for three hours on his way home from Viet Nam.

We're excited about it!

It sounds wonderful... is The Big Island one of the places we visit? Would we be able to go to Pearl Harbor or Haleakala or anything like that? I'm wondering if we have enough time in port to see some of the National Parks and so on....

We book early to assure we get the cabin of our choice and going with CC Groups we've been getting excellent prices and amenities. For our upcoming cruise, the group rates were even less then the ESR AND we got an OBC and more to boot!:cool:

It sounds wonderful... is The Big Island one of the places we visit? Would we be able to go to Pearl Harbor or Haleakala or anything like that? I'm wondering if we have enough time in port to see some of the National Parks and so on....

I've recently found out I know next to nothing about Hawaii.

What I've learned, so far.....

One stop in Hilo and one stop in Kona, which are both on the Big Island. Both stops are from 8-6

Embark in Honolulu, which is where Pearl Harbor is, which in on the island of O'ahu. Embark in Honolulu at 1pm and stay until 6pm (?) the next day.

Also an overnight stay at the last stop in Maui. Here, I can't decide what to do....the Road to Hana or the Old Lahaina Luau. I don't think there's time to do both???

I know people have had time to go to Volcano (Volcanic?) National Park...I don't recall which stop this is at the moment.

Unless they change the itinerary, of course.

And if I'm wrong about any of this.....someone please correct me!!

I've recently found out I know next to nothing about Hawaii.

What I've learned, so far.....

One stop in Hilo and one stop in Kona, which are both on the Big Island. Both stops are from 8-6

Embark in Honolulu, which is where Pearl Harbor is, which in on the island of O'ahu. Embark in Honolulu at 1pm and stay until 6pm (?) the next day.

Also an overnight stay at the last stop in Maui. Here, I can't decide what to do....the Road to Hana or the Old Lahaina Luau. I don't think there's time to do both???

I know people have had time to go to Volcano (Volcanic?) National Park...I don't recall which stop this is at the moment.

Unless they change the itinerary, of course.

And if I'm wrong about any of this.....someone please correct me!!

If you dock early in Maui and have an overnight stay you will have plenty of time to do both Hana and Old Lahaina Luau.......but it will make for a very long day lol! Will you be anchored in Lahaina? If so lots of great shopping there.......love Lahaina........

I would suggest staying an extra day or two in Honolulu.....sooo much to do and see.......

Sounds like fun to me!

Back to topic........we never book more then 6 months out (usually that is the longest) and have always gotten our cabin and dining of choice with no problem. This is the longest we have waited for a cruise (it will be 9 months) because of rescheduling for the swine flu......and I don't like the wait:( We are compulsive switchers lol! We will say we are going here and then tomorrow we say we are going there........

We've done a couple land vacations in Hawaii (Oahu only) and one other cruise around the islands. We booked a rental car in each port except Kona; next time we'll have a car in every port.

Another reply already confirmed that, yes, the intinerary currently includes two ports of call on the big island, Kona and Hilo. We did Volcano National Park in Hilo and would definitely recommend it. Next time, we really hope the cruise line is offering a tour to the summit of Mauna Kea; I wouldn't dare book it independently unless it was the first of two days on the big island, just in case...

You can visit Pearl Harbor prior to leaving Honolulu. The last I knew, tickets were first-come, first-served and go very quickly early in the morning. So plan to go to Pearl Harbor very early one morning to be sure you get to see the memorial. If this is on a weekend, go to the Aloha Stadium Flea Market afterward to pick up all of your souvenirs in one stop.

Haleakala is the reason we want an overnight in Maui. Last time we visited friends in Lahaina the first day, parked at the pier, then left the ship in the wee hours to drive to Haleakala. Unfortunately, it was far too overcast to see the sunrise, so we must do the trip again. After dawn, we stopped for breakfast and drove to a winery for a tour and tasting.

Hawaii is our favorite vacation destination and we can't wait to return.

All,

How far out do you plan your cruises? How are some of you planning your 2011 cruises--is this information readily available or do you have some "in" with a PVP or TA?

Do you (or better asked, CAN you) pay a deposit and continue to pay on it throughout the full year plus?

I would love to plan something for 2011 (Hawaii? Exotic? Southern?) and to do something longer and more special would need more time to pay it off.

It feels a bit overwhelming to me to plan that far out simply because I don't know. Anyone want to chat about cruising in the future?

I would love to have a couple in the "cooker"... lol...

Thoughts?

A Lloyd Lindsey Young greeting to you valancy1. I try to plan out a cruise about a year in advance. Sometimes I don't come up with one that far out. Sometimes, even after a desposit I sometimes want to change to another cruise.

You want to plan something southern? You live in Maryland. From Baltimore they have a ship that is going to the Bahamas. I believe it is an eight day trip. This is on a Carnival ship.

You want something like you haven't tried before? Also out of Baltimore from Celebrity Cruise Line comes the Mercury. Sailing to: St. Martin, St. Kitts, St. Croix, Antigua, St. Maartan, and back to Baltimore. Sounds like a good cruise. I am thinking about that one myself.

You can place a deposit on it and make payments on it as you go along. That is how I used to do it. And remember, the longer time you have the less you have to periodically put money aside. You stretch it out more.

It may seem overwhelming at first, but, you can do it. If I could do it anyone can.

Archived