Diamond 9/10/05 Roll Call

RMS Olympic

Anyone else on this sailing from Rome to MonteCarlo?

I am trying to decide on the precruise 2 night hotel package...for a single it is $500 per night...seems $$$$$$.....any recommendations or suggestions on hotels?

If snyone has flown to Rome from Philadelphia using RSSC air package...what airline did they use and was it non stop?

Thanks to all

Tom

We did the 3 day pre-cruise at the De La Ville Inter-Continental. Great location right at the top of the Spanish Steps and next to the Hassler. A couple of really good restaurants to go to Piperno for lunch and Passeto for dinner. Both reasonably priced and excellent food. Keep in mind that the hotels in Rome are all expensive. If you take the RSSC Inter-Continental package you have a half day private car tour of Rome, which would cost @ $400 and you have private car transport from the airport, which would cost @ $150, as well as private car transport to Cavitevecchia, which would cost @ $200 plus. All transport is Mercedes. You also get full American breakfast each day.

We are looking at the Silver Whisper in May or possibly the Diamond in July. In either case they eithere end up in Rome or start in Rome. As far as places to stay, two excellent ones that we are considering are the Villa San Pio near the Colosseum and highly recommended by some of our friends and tripadvisors. A quaint 3 star B&B in a quiet neighbourhood for 220 Euros per night. For not much more though we have found the Hotel Bristol Bernini a 4 star at the edge of the Via Veneto and near the Spanish Steps. Great location, great hotel, but in a busier location.

If looking for a great tour guide in Rome check out http://www.driverinrome.com Danielle was great when were there in 2003. He is very knowledgable.

Don

Not confirmed, but on another board today there was a report that Diamond has been sold, and will go to China in six months. Not to alarm anyone here. It is is just a news item. Call your TA to confirm. RSSC is still accepcting reservations, so maybe the bookers either don't know, or this is a rumer.

well I am already guessing the cruise will be cancelled. So now I have to figure out what to do. I also had a cruise booked on the Seabourn Pride......the ship was charted and I was bounced off......2005 is turning into a real bust.

So now I will have to look else where.......

If the ship does go...I'll rebook either on the Mariner or the Voyager......for the late Nov early December time frame if there is space available.

My concern is that if things change in late Spring where the new owners presses for early delivery, I don't want to have to look for another ship losing early booking discounts or selection in cabin availability. Us working guys need to plan accordingly.

Semper Fi!

Tom, we are in the same boat (non pun intended) that you are in. We are going to wait and see what RSSC is going to do. They may end up negotiating and keeping the ship until the end of the season, or may make both of us some attractive offer to sail on one of the other ships.

Who knows maybe we end up sailing together.

Don

I have targeted the Dec 5 sailing of the Voyager....it goes to Turks and Caicos...a port I have not visited. I will wait to see if there is any discount if I get bounced off the Diamond.

I still have not sailed the Mariner...but sailing Mexico isn't my cup of tea.

Who knows, maybe Radisson will buy out Silver Seas since they will be losing both the Diamond and PG reducing the fleet so quickly. Without replacements, either Bermuda or Alaska service will have to suffer (if the Navigator replaces the PG).

I love my Radisson......I hope their purse is full so they can build something new.....even if it is just another Voyager class ship.

Happy Holidays!

Archived