New to Holland

delphina1

Hi. I have sailed on RCCL and Celebrity. 4/10 will be my first HAL cruise. If I am not happy with a particular entree will I be able to choose another once it has been served? Any info on the Veendam would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:)

Hi. I have sailed on RCCL and Celebrity. 4/10 will be my first HAL cruise. If I am not happy with a particular entree will I be able to choose another once it has been served? Any info on the Veendam would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:)

As to dining ... yes, if you order an entree or any other menu item in the dining room and you do not like it, you may request something else that might be more to your liking.

"Also--If you really like an entree, you can order up another one. Enjoy!!"

This is not true. You cannot finish eating your entree and order another. The serving of meals is coordinated so that all the appetizers are served together, all the soups/salads together, all the entrees together, desserts, etc. It would back things up for the kitchen (not to mention your tablemates) if they have to fix another entree for you.You can order two identical entrees at the same time, however.

This is not true. You cannot finish eating your entree and order another. The serving of meals is coordinated so that all the appetizers are served together, all the soups/salads together, all the entrees together, desserts, etc. It would back things up for the kitchen (not to mention your tablemates) if they have to fix another entree for you.You can order two identical entrees at the same time, however.

i've done it before...

This is not true. You cannot finish eating your entree and order another.

It certainly can be done in Open seating, especially if you are only seated with friends or family. It has been done many times in fixed seating also, but it works best for fast eaters. :)

I recall a HAL cruise where the waiter came by and saw my empty lobster tail shells , and said " It looks like we fogot something here", and went to the kitchen for more. This was after everyone else was also done eating at our table. HAL has always been great about this IMO.

Well, then perhaps I should have stated that you CAN, but you shouldn't. IMO

If I were a server, I wouldn't be too happy with the request.

Try asking for another entree at a regular restaurant after you have finished the first one.

I treated the Westerdam dining room the same as I would a nice restaurant back home, and used the same etiquette, always keeping the servers in mind. I never wanted to do anything that would inconvenience the servers. Must be the ex-waitress in me.

Well, then perhaps I should have stated that you CAN, but you shouldn't. IMO

If I were a server, I wouldn't be too happy with the request.

In Open seating they are serving all courses throughout the entire evening, except possibly for the first and last 1/2 hours. I don't see that it would be a very great imposition on the servers. In fixed seating, if it isn't too late (i.e., entrees are still being served to some tables) I see it as asking for a small favor. IMO
Try asking for another entree at a regular restaurant after you have finished the first one.
That's an entirely different situation and you know it. Try asking for a second entree at the Pinnacle Grill, which is closer to your "restaurant back home". They would both happily serve you ... for an extra charge. :)

I can't imagine any restaurant we know having a problem with this - as long as the customer is willing to pay, just as they will for the first.

For the OP, if you want to order multiple entrees - go ahead. However, if you know you will want two (i.e. surf and turf) just order both at the same time. Your water will serve them one after the other.

I was a waitress in college at the most upscale restaurant in Ames, Iowa (yes, there is an upscale restaurant there!). My favorite waitressing memory was of a table of four theater majors who came in and ordered, cocktails, and an appetizer each. After they were done with these items, they ordered a bottle of white wine, and each ordered a chicken or fish entree. Those came with very nice salads and bread. They ate their salads, bread, fish/chicken, and finished a second bottle of white wine. When I came back to ask if they cared to see the dessert menu, they asked if they could have the regular menus back. They then proceeded each to order a steak or prime rib and a bottle of red wine for the table!! My handwritten ticket (I'm dating myself - no computer ticket for the kitchen) was a mess! My manager said that if they ate the steaks they could order desert on the house. Well they finished their steaks and baked potatoes, and then had bananas foster flambe for dessert! Their bill was a little over $200! (which in the 1980s in Iowa was a lot of money!) and they left me a $50 tip (and a great story I love to bore people with from time to time)!:D

So, yes, even at a nice, upscale, restaurant, sometimes people do order two entrees (but as pointed out above, they have to pay for them!). Tables like that make me miss waitressing - they were fun!

Archived