Bumpiing tours it is - but when to book? - and how much to do?

sunseeker09

First off, thanks everyone for all the great, helpful info. here (and photos! looks so beautiful)

We'll be in Dominica on the Victory on Jan. 5 and would like to book with Bumpiing tours after all the good things I've read here. Only thing is, our ship doesn't get in until 10:00, and there are 2 other ships in port that day that get there before us. So will it be crazy busy by the time we get out there? If so, what do you recommend? Anyone from the Victory care to comment?

I'm checking out the Roseau Valley Treasures tour, but don't know that the sulphur springs or botanical gardens are a big deal. Titou Gorge looks good though, but then we're divers, so Champagne reef snorkeling is absolutely of interest. With the somewhat limited time, do you think they can customize? There's just the 2 of us... unless we can find some others from our ship who perhaps want do do the same thing. Surely there's no problem getting enough people.

How soon should I contact them to book? Our cruise is still so far away, but with over 8,000 in port that day???? Yes, I like to start researching early! lol.

They will definitely customize a tour for you. I will be touring with Bumping Tours in Sept. and want to spend more time at Champagne Reef and Levi said no problem. I think the botanical garden and springs is what you end up missing if you choose this option. I could be wrong, but maybe somebody who has done it can tell you exactly. Just let Levi know what you want to see and he will be more than happy to accomodate you.

not that it really matters---but the botanical gardens really isn't much to see. We spent a couple minutes just driving through there. Also, for anyone going soon, the platform to view the sulphur springs is currently broken so we couldn't go there either.

Titou Gorge and Trafalgar Falls are definitely the best parts of the entire tour.

not that it really matters---but the botanical gardens really isn't much to see. We spent a couple minutes just driving through there. Also, for anyone going soon, the platform to view the sulphur springs is currently broken so we couldn't go there either.

Titou Gorge and Trafalgar Falls are definitely the best parts of the entire tour.

I did get a kick out of seeing the tree that had fallen on the school bus 30 years ago. (They left it as is.)

I did email him. I let him know our ship isn't in until 10:00 and leaves at 6:00. I mentioned we would very much like to do the snorkeling at Champagne reef, but we would also like to do a tour with at least one of the falls, so could we do a customized tour. The reply was that we could do the Roseau valley treasures tour followed by snorkeling at Champagne reef. Since that tour is up to 4.5 hours, and then snorkeling is what? ...another 1.5 hours or so? That's 6 hours and we have less than 8. Do you realistically think there's time? I was hoping he would suggest something more customized, but to be honest, the reply was a bit cut and pasted. Not sure what to do now. I don't want to miss snorkeling for the Sulphur springs and botanical gardens, especially if we get put with people not so keen on snorkeling. Honestly, we'd prefer to go diving, but I'm sure there isn't time for that and a tour.

We will also be on Sept 20 Victory and wanted the same tour. We especially wanted to have enough time at Champagne as many posters say they ran out of time (with other tour guides) and never got to Champagne. We asked for Titou gorge, Trafalgar falls - we have already done Emerald pool, botanical gardens, and Mr. Nice Fruit stand.

Do you have a full van? I know they will put the two of us with others to fill a trip.

We will also be on Sept 20 Victory and wanted the same tour. We especially wanted to have enough time at Champagne as many posters say they ran out of time (with other tour guides) and never got to Champagne. We asked for Titou gorge, Trafalgar falls - we have already done Emerald pool, botanical gardens, and Mr. Nice Fruit stand.

Do you have a full van? I know they will put the two of us with others to fill a trip.

Hi terryde, we are doing the Roseau Valley Treasures Tour and the last time I heard from Levi I had asked him if something would have to be left out to spend more time at Champagne Reef and he told me that we would have enough time to do the other sites plus spend 2 hrs at Champagne Reef. Not sure about this since others have said they had to skip something to spend more time there. He also said he would put me with others that have booked for that day. I guess at the time I was the only one booked. I will email him again a couple weeks before just to confirm. We are the only ship in port that day, so most likely we won't be dealing with crowds.

great, froggy4. I will email Levi again just to remind that I too want to assure enough time at Champagne, so if he has several vans going that day (I honestly don't know how many he has), he will put together those that feel Champagne is a must.

I did email him. I let him know our ship isn't in until 10:00 and leaves at 6:00. I mentioned we would very much like to do the snorkeling at Champagne reef, but we would also like to do a tour with at least one of the falls, so could we do a customized tour. The reply was that we could do the Roseau valley treasures tour followed by snorkeling at Champagne reef. Since that tour is up to 4.5 hours, and then snorkeling is what? ...another 1.5 hours or so? That's 6 hours and we have less than 8. Do you realistically think there's time? I was hoping he would suggest something more customized, but to be honest, the reply was a bit cut and pasted. Not sure what to do now. I don't want to miss snorkeling for the Sulphur springs and botanical gardens, especially if we get put with people not so keen on snorkeling. Honestly, we'd prefer to go diving, but I'm sure there isn't time for that and a tour.

Levi's reply back to you probably was cut and pasted. But, he will more than likely go out of his way to please you and get you over to Champagne reef with plenty of time to snorkel. A couple in our van chose to go there after our tour and we saw them the next day and they said it was great and they got back in plenty of time. Don't give up on him yet. Also, you're actually lucky your ship arrives later. It will give the other vans time to get to Titou and Trafalgar and be out of your way when you get there. It gets really crowded at Trafalgar. :)

I posed this information on All Things Victory thread on Carnival line section.

I made our reservations last Oct. Week before sailing I emailed Levi to verifiy and we had no reservation, but I had confirmation. Lesson learned - check reservation sooner. He squeezed us in.

We just recently returned taking Levi's tour. Time is a big problem no matter if you take Treasures or Best and that was with one ship in dock.

We were held up in traffic for over an hour waiting to get to Falls. That meant we had a 5 min. stop at overlook, no stop at Mr. Nice, and 20 min. at Champagne Reef. Got back to ship at 4:30. So if you wanted to look around town - rushed.

Our CC friends did the falls hike and stops we covered with Levi and another van load. They got in even greater traffic tie up because they were later due to hike. So they got only 15min at Champagne. They asked Levi to change the stops to give them more time. He said they have a set pattern to follow and time would not be a problem. Well it was. Passengers were told to be back on board at 5:30. Our room was on Spa deck and we were watching sail away prep. Gang ways were pulled in. At end of dock 2 vans come to screeching halt and our friends (5:40) are running down the dock. They told us later they got an ear full from Carnival staff. Levi would not change route when they truly became concerned about time. They were very afraid of missing boat and would not book with Levi again. They didn't enjoy the last few stops.

Mrsosci

I posed this information on All Things Victory thread on Carnival line section.

I made our reservations last Oct. Week before sailing I emailed Levi to verifiy and we had no reservation, but I had confirmation. Lesson learned - check reservation sooner. He squeezed us in.

We just recently returned taking Levi's tour. Time is a big problem no matter if you take Treasures or Best and that was with one ship in dock.

We were held up in traffic for over an hour waiting to get to Falls. That meant we had a 5 min. stop at overlook, no stop at Mr. Nice, and 20 min. at Champagne Reef. Got back to ship at 4:30. So if you wanted to look around town - rushed.

Our CC friends did the falls hike and stops we covered with Levi and another van load. They got in even greater traffic tie up because they were later due to hike. So they got only 15min at Champagne. They asked Levi to change the stops to give them more time. He said they have a set pattern to follow and time would not be a problem. Well it was. Passengers were told to be back on board at 5:30. Our room was on Spa deck and we were watching sail away prep. Gang ways were pulled in. At end of dock 2 vans come to screeching halt and our friends (5:40) are running down the dock. They told us later they got an ear full from Carnival staff. Levi would not change route when they truly became concerned about time. They were very afraid of missing boat and would not book with Levi again. They didn't enjoy the last few stops.

Mrsosci

Yes, I read your reply on the "all things Victory" thread. Thanks you. I do think it makes a difference being on the ship that is there for the shortest time. It is not only our shortest port day, and also busiest with 3 ships in port, wheras all other ports we do have only 1 other, or even no others.

I don't want to feel rushed with a jam-packed tour, so I think Levi (or other long, multi-stop tour ops) are out. However, I am also a wee bit nervous about taking a taxi after what I have read elsewhere.... maybe I'll post a fresh post and see if anyone does shorter tours or has any drivers to recommend.

Thanks again.

I decided to give Levi another try and just stress to him that we'd prefer to do a shorter tour and that snorkeling is a high priority. This time he emailed back (promptly again), with a more personal reply that he can do a shorter tour if we like, and that he is flexible. Even offered to give me a call. He does seem so nice, and like he is trying to accommodate. I'm sure they are just trying to please the majority who feel they need to do lots to get the most bang for their buck. I think we'll go with him and hope the rest of the group we're in have the same prioritites we do for snorkeling... and making it back on the ship in plently of time! LOL

• 2 weeks later...
I decided to give Levi another try and just stress to him that we'd prefer to do a shorter tour and that snorkeling is a high priority. This time he emailed back (promptly again), with a more personal reply that he can do a shorter tour if we like, and that he is flexible. Even offered to give me a call. He does seem so nice, and like he is trying to accommodate. I'm sure they are just trying to please the majority who feel they need to do lots to get the most bang for their buck. I think we'll go with him and hope the rest of the group we're in have the same prioritites we do for snorkeling... and making it back on the ship in plently of time! LOL

I imagine Levi will do everything he can to give you a great visit. I sat in the front seat with him and we talked quite a bit about these posting boards and reviews. He knows we read them and base our choices on what other people say.

I hope it works out for you and you have a great day in Dominica.

We toured with Levi last August and it was probably the best tour I was ever on. We did the Roseau Valley Best and it was a long day but so worth it. We were the only ship in port that day so the Titou Gorge and Trafalgar Falls werent that crowded. I'll admit that the hike to Middleham Falls was strenuous but well worth the climb. Titou Gorge was amazing and fun and the sulphur springs were a little strange but very relaxing.

We didn't make it to Champagne Reef but not because we ran out of time....we were all too exhausted to go! Levi got us back to our ship in plenty of time.

Levi was an awesome guide and I would tour again with him in a heartbeat.

Good Luck!

The gardens are interesting, but will not make or break your tour.

We prearranged the "Roseau Valley Treasures" tour with Bumpiing Tours (Levi Baron). $49 per person plus tip. We tendered into Roseau. Tendering was very efficient. Levi Baron met us just outside the pier and turned us over to Gary, our awesome driver and guide for the day. Gary kept us one step ahead of most of the tours. We started our day at Wotten Waven Sulphur Springs which entailed a short walk to view small boiling pools. Then it was off to Trafalgar Falls which features two large waterfalls in the same area. There was about a 10 minutes walk through a rainforest to a viewing platform where we took pictures and then proceeded past a "Proceed Only At Your Own Risk" sign and descended down to some hot springs where we relaxed and played in several hot pools. We also got some closer views of the falls. From here we drove to Titou Gorge where part of Pirates Of The Caribbean 2 was filmed. It was an easy 10 minutes walk to the Gorge, where we got into cold mountain water and swam a short distance through a cave to a waterfall. (If you go, don't wimp out. It's worth the chill). We instantly warmed in the sun upon exiting and got toasty in a nearby hot spring. We visited the Botanical Gardens where we learned about see different plants, trees and flowers grown on the Island. A short 5-minute drive to Morne Bruce presented us an overview of the entire city of Roseau, and port, from the top of a hill. We ended the tour snorkeling at Champagne Bay, where we hired an snorkel guide for $10 to show us the fish and underwater sites just offshore. There is no way we would have seen as much without our water guide, T.J. The entire tour lasted about 7 hours. Gary kept us well hydrated with Kubuli Beer (the best local island beer we tasted on this trip) and water. Gary was also quick to stop the van for any pictures we wanted to take and often stopped to pluck a leaf, nut, fruit, branch or root for us to smell and identify as one of the many local spices grown on the island. Recommended!

More: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

That sounds great CaribbeanBound, but our tour can't be 7 hours. We're only in port for 8 hours, and what with getting off the ship and organized and going, then getting back in enough time... With a 7 hour tour we would miss the boat. This just confirms we'll either have to cut something or step it up at each spot (and rushing isn't what I want to do). We are booked and are looking forward to it, but I can see that I will need to keep an eye on the time so that snorkeling isn't what gets cut.

That sounds great CaribbeanBound, but our tour can't be 7 hours. We're only in port for 8 hours, and what with getting off the ship and organized and going, then getting back in enough time... With a 7 hour tour we would miss the boat. This just confirms we'll either have to cut something or step it up at each spot (and rushing isn't what I want to do). We are booked and are looking forward to it, but I can see that I will need to keep an eye on the time so that snorkeling isn't what gets cut.

You'll be fine with Levi. He takes into account all limitations (time, physical) and will make sure you get what you really want. I liked him so much last month that I'm using him again in January.

Agreed. Tell him what you really want to do and he'll make sure it happens and you get back in plenty of time. No Worries!

Don't waste time organizing your party. Get organized before you get off the boat and be ready for a full day. I do suggest you get downstairs when the hatch opens so you can be on an early tender.

• 2 weeks later...
We toured with Levi last August and it was probably the best tour I was ever on. We did the Roseau Valley Best and it was a long day but so worth it. We were the only ship in port that day so the Titou Gorge and Trafalgar Falls werent that crowded. I'll admit that the hike to Middleham Falls was strenuous but well worth the climb. Titou Gorge was amazing and fun and the sulphur springs were a little strange but very relaxing.

We didn't make it to Champagne Reef but not because we ran out of time....we were all too exhausted to go! Levi got us back to our ship in plenty of time.

Levi was an awesome guide and I would tour again with him in a heartbeat.

Good Luck!

What kind of shoes is teh best to wear with this trip? Are sneakers ok or water shoes? Thanks for any information.

We just got back from Levi's Middleham falls tour and had an awesome time. Will be posting a review soon. We got back to the port with an hour to an hour and a half to spare - we were all too tired for the champagne reef - so may have to plan another trip to Dominica to catch it another time.

Definitely want some good water type hiking shoes for the hike if possible. Lots of walking over rocks so if you do sneakers they may get soaked and things are pretty slippery.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived