Lindquist beach-St. Thomas

jackdiamond

• 3 weeks later...
I would greatly appreciate the impressions of anyone who has recetly visited the aforesaid beach.

Thank you.

I hope that since I originally posted this inquiry, that someone has visited this beautiful beach. Since it is probably the most beautiful beach in St. Thomas, I am surprised that there has been no response.

I posted my review of Lindquist under another thread. This beach still doesn't have the facilities that most cruisers are looking for - bar, food, real bathrooms as opposed to Port-A-Potties, etc. so I don't think any are going here.

• 2 months later...

Pretty sure I had already pointed you to an article about this beach which was written earlier this year maybe... or late last year: if not try http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=st.+thomas+beautiful+%2B+lindquist+beach+and+Smith+bay+park&aq=f&oq=&aqi=. Has a few photos too. The information is still current as far as not much in terms of facilities but that there are plans in the works. The beach is beautiful, its kept clean now, has trash cans that are regularly emptied, there are just a couple port-a-johns, the lifeguard wasn't there on last visits but a beach manager was. They were not collecting entrance fees - weekday visits. Earlier in the morning had a handful of people and then maybe about a dozen or two closer to lunch time - so still pretty quiet on weekdays. On weekends, particularly Sunday there are usually parties - mostly on the right side when facing the water - sometimes including loud music.

--Islander

• 5 months later...

i found this older thread and thought the article is wonderful in the link that The Islander provided. Does anyone know if there has been any recent changes since that article? is it safe ? and how far from the Red Hook ferry is it? walking distance?

thank you for the help!!

Hello red4u2, The article is still how it is; lifeguards, some picnic tables, port-a-johns - no other amentities yet. Its a beautiful beach, safety issues have been addressed with clearing some of the brush, cleaning up and the presence of lifeguard and typically police patrol. Its a few minutes drive from Red Hook to Lindquist, about 1.2 miles, here it is on a map: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Rte+32%2FSmith+Bay+Rd&daddr=18.337509,-64.858056&geocode=FcqgFwEdCHAi_A%3B&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=17&doflg=ptm&sll=18.336786,-64.856232&sspn=0.004695,0.009602&ie=UTF8&ll=18.332366,-64.856071&spn=0.01878,0.038409&t=h&z=15.

--Islander

Hello red4u2, The article is still how it is; lifeguards, some picnic tables, port-a-johns - no other amentities yet. Its a beautiful beach, safety issues have been addressed with clearing some of the brush, cleaning up and the presence of lifeguard and typically police patrol. Its a few minutes drive from Red Hook to Lindquist, about 1.2 miles, here it is on a map: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Rte+32%2FSmith+Bay+Rd&daddr=18.337509,-64.858056&geocode=FcqgFwEdCHAi_A%3B&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=17&doflg=ptm&sll=18.336786,-64.856232&sspn=0.004695,0.009602&ie=UTF8&ll=18.332366,-64.856071&spn=0.01878,0.038409&t=h&z=15.

--Islander

thank you Islander!!! if i took a taxi from Red Hook, are there ever taxis there waiting to take you back to Red Hook or Crown bay?

thanks again!!

i was also curious on this question. Or how far a walk is it from the beach to the main road that we could flag someone down? is it safe to walk along the dirt road leading to the beach?

thanks.

thank you Islander!!! if i took a taxi from Red Hook, are there ever taxis there waiting to take you back to Red Hook or Crown bay?

thanks again!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

No there usually aren't taxis waiting around at Lindquist Beach. You can arrange with the taxi that takes you there to return for you at a set time.

The walk from the beach to the main road is maybe 1 minute, its safe.

Here is a video of Lindquist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hel5jd02vnA.

--Islander

No there usually aren't taxis waiting around at Lindquist Beach. You can arrange with the taxi that takes you there to return for you at a set time.

The walk from the beach to the main road is maybe 1 minute, its safe.

Here is a video of Lindquist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hel5jd02vnA.

--Islander

Thank you so much Islander!! my plan is to be one of the first off the ship at 7 am -take a taxi from Crown bay to Red Hook and hopefully catch the 8 am ferry to St John, spend a couple hours at Trunk Bay, take the 11 am ferry back to Red Hook, take a taxi to Linquist ( Smith) spend about an hour there and arrange for the same taxi to pick us up and then drop us downtown at vendors plaza for a couple hours and then take a taxi back to Crown Bay to be back on the ship by 3, last call is 330- we will be the only ship in port that day, this will be my second trip and the first for my DH, i know that doesnt leave a lot of time in each spot, but i thought that it would make a nice tour of a lot of beautiful places, do you think this is possible?

thank you for all your help!! BTW, were you posting back in 2002?

Not impossiable but not much time at each spot like you said. Here's an estimated timeline... Crown Bay to Red Hook is about 35 minute drive, so you'd have to be right off the ship. Ferry takes 15 minutes and then about 12 minute drive to Trunk Bay, pay admission, walk to beach and find a spot... so you should be on the beach chilling by say 8:40am. You'd want to leave Trunk Bay by 10:30am so you get to the ferry with at least 15 minutes before departure.

Red Hook to Lindquist is just maybe a 5 minute drive. So you'd be on the beach by around 11:25am, leave at 12:30pm. Figure 30-50 minutes to town (allowing for possiable lunch time traffic). 1-1:30pm in town... have lunch there, do a little shopping. Leave around 2:30ish to head back to ship.

I've been posting here since 2001.

--Islander

Not impossiable but not much time at each spot like you said. Here's an estimated timeline... Crown Bay to Red Hook is about 35 minute drive, so you'd have to be right off the ship. Ferry takes 15 minutes and then about 12 minute drive to Trunk Bay, pay admission, walk to beach and find a spot... so you should be on the beach chilling by say 8:40am. You'd want to leave Trunk Bay by 10:30am so you get to the ferry with at least 15 minutes before departure.

Red Hook to Lindquist is just maybe a 5 minute drive. So you'd be on the beach by around 11:25am, leave at 12:30pm. Figure 30-50 minutes to town (allowing for possiable lunch time traffic). 1-1:30pm in town... have lunch there, do a little shopping. Leave around 2:30ish to head back to ship.

I've been posting here since 2001.

--Islander

Thank you so much again Islander- thats about what i had figured as well, except i wasnt thinking that it would take 30 minutes from downtown to Crown bay pier, i thought that it was about a five minute cab ride-- i want to thank you for all your help, when i made my first trip years ago back in 2002 i believe it was your directions that i printed up and used to rent a car and find my way to Red Hook and take the car ferry to St John, and then on to Magens bay and such.. it is so nice to see that you are still posting and helping people with their vacations!! thanks again!!!

Downtown to Crown Bay is about an 8-10 minute drive with little traffic. If everybody else on the ship is heading back around 2:45pm then you might have a medium amount of traffic and that will add a litttle time to the commute. If you get to Crown Bay with a few minutes to spare you can walk around there, small shopping area but there are shops and the boardwalk offers a nice view of the ship.

--Islander

Downtown to Crown Bay is about an 8-10 minute drive with little traffic. If everybody else on the ship is heading back around 2:45pm then you might have a medium amount of traffic and that will add a litttle time to the commute. If you get to Crown Bay with a few minutes to spare you can walk around there, small shopping area but there are shops and the boardwalk offers a nice view of the ship.

--Islander

thank you again!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
You're welcome. Hope you have a great time.

--Islander

Islander, is it possible to walk to Sapphire Beach from Lindquist if taxis are not readily available? I ask because I plan to have my wedding ceremony at Lindquist and then just let all of my guests do what they want for the rest of the day and not arrange transportation for them after the ceremony (will provide transportation to the ceremony) so they can all do their own thing. Most will probably want to stay at Lindquist but since there are no food services there, water sports, etc, they may want to venture over to Sapphire. Any suggestions? THANK YOU!

Lindquist to Sapphire, in terms of going from beach to beach along the main road walking is probably 1 mile. No sidewalks. There generally aren't taxis at Lindquist so it is typically necessary to arrange for one to return for you at a set time.

--Islander

Lindquist to Sapphire, in terms of going from beach to beach along the main road walking is probably 1 mile. No sidewalks. There generally aren't taxis at Lindquist so it is typically necessary to arrange for one to return for you at a set time.

--Islander

So walking wouldn't be too bad then, maybe 15-20 minutes. I'm going to let everyone know beforehand that there will have the majority of the day to plan activities and will let them know of the distance to walk to Sapphire, and also maybe I will arrange a few taxis. Thanks!!

Archived