Progreso beach/seawall - break for wheelchairs?

mloftin

I will be in Progreso in a couple of weeks with my grandmother. She can walk, just not long distances so we will be pushing her in a wheelchair. I've looked at lots of pictures that are posted here of the beach and seawall and it appears that the only way past that wall is to climb over. My question is - are there breaks in that wall where my grandmother could get out of the wheelchair and walk straight onto the beach with out having to climb the stairs over? If so, do you know if there is a break near Le Saint Bonnet? Based on all of your reviews, I think that's where we will be going. I might also have to make a few potty breaks with my grandmother, but I will have to push her to the restaurant. Our goal is to plop on the beach and eat, drink and be merry. There are 12 of us - preteen girls, 18 yo boys and adults and it sounds lilke there is plenty for everyone on the beach. Plus I'm dying to try that fried snapper!

I think you would do best towards the west end of the malecon at Eladio's restaurant. You can actually go straight in to their restaurant and out onto the beach without the climb over. It is the only restaurant located on the beach, with direct access to the beach. It also has tables and chairs outside on the beach, or you can sit inside.

The other restaurants are actually located across the street from the beach, and they have table/chair service on the beach. The waiters cross back and forth to serve you. I think this would be a great disadvantage for your grandmother.

I would concur with the previous poster! Eladios' is a good introduction to the unique Yucatecan tradition of 'botanas' which could be loosely translated as 'snacks'. You order a round of drinks (beers, cokes whatever) and a selection of Yucatecan mini-dishes arrive to snack on. Another round brings yet another, more varied selection. And so on. These are all included in the price of your beer.

Very Yucatecan. You will enjoy it. Of course, food can be ordered off a menu as well!

Have fun! :)

Thanks so much! This will be perfect!

I have been a "lurker" on this board for awhile and have really learned a lot! You all have the best advice.

We leave on the 25th. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again!

Archived