Hurricane In September

I am looking at a western caribbean cruise out of Galveston in September 2004. I need advice PLEASE - because of hurricane season would you book a September cruise out of Galveston ???

Thanks bunches.

Celebrity Galaxy Dec '04

RCI Rhapsody of the Seas Apr '04

RCI Navigator of the Seas Nov '03

Celebrity Summit Nov '02

Celebrity Zenith Nov '00

By all means go ahead. I have had many September cruises. Be aware that a hurricane will make the ship rock and roll. Even if you are not in the immediate area, the ship may be moving a lot. Tendered ports may be cancelled. (That happens a lot anyhow.) The cruise line does not cancel cruises unless they must.

Yes, I have experienced a hurricane at sea. It was in October, and it was a Pacific hurricane named Pauline. The rough seas were impressive. The rain falling horizontally was impressive.

I am not trying to frighten you. I WOULD book a hurricane season cruise again. But I am aware that it may not be the fun and sun tropical get away I hoped for. The cruise line does not do a lot by way of compensation for lousy weather or missed ports. You are purchasing how ever many days on the ship with the meals and entertainment provided.

In addition, please realize that really bad weather can also happen at any time of the year. Cruise lines cannot prevent bad weather any more than we can.

catwalk4.gif

Work like a dog. Live like a pauper. Save all your money. Then Cruise!

catwalk3.gif

We cruised last year during the height of Hurricane Isabel. Our first port of call was to be Nassau in the Bahamas and this was the same time that Isabel was messing with the Bahamas so our Captain sailed us further south out of harms way and into wonderful weather. It was windier out than normal but still pleasant.

During another cruise our captain tried to outrun a tropical storm that was giving us 20 foot swells. A little extra movement on the ship but it really wasn't bad if you weren't in your cabin.

For the amount of cash you can save I would sail during that time of year in a heartbeat.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;04;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

'Til my next cruise

As long as you go with little expectations of which ports you will or won't get to going during that season shouldn't be bad... you're getting a good price, the price may drop, since you're already in Texas you save on air and it sure beats staying at home.

Go for it and good luck,

Carolyn

I see you live in Texas, so that does make Galvaston a convenient port... I think hurricane season cruises that are out of a Gulf of Mexico port are a little bit more risky, just because the options are somewhat limited there. Out of the eastern side of Florida, it's a bit easier to go the other way, but if you're coming out of Galviston or Tampa, well you really don't have any other place to go. Also, once a hurricane gets inside the gulf, it churns up the whole gulf... on the ocean side, once it passes, it tends to settle down a little quicker. This is JMHO.

Theron

click to e-mail me

Explorer of the Seas 9/27/03 Western

Celebrity Century 9/28/02 Eastern (Thanks to Lili)

Cruise Tip Calculator - Calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes:

http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/

What about the Southern Caribbean? We are planning a cruise in the beginning of August out of San Juan. Are there normally hurricanes that far south?

11/03 Fantasy

4/03 Sensation

5/02 Sovereign of the Seas

Fall cruising is cheaper cause of hurricanes, My thoughts are I wouldn't let it bother me, if they had to re-route the ship, so what, I'm still on a cruise and that's better than no cruise at all. icon_wink.gif

I would definitly book it and enjoy.

Soveriegn 92 E. Caribbean

Majesty 95 W. Caribbean

Granduer 97 E. Caribbean

Rhapsody 00 Mexico

Vision 02 Alaska

Radiance 03 Panama Canal

Brilliance 3/29/04

Radiance of the Seas/Panama Canal 10/18/2003

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;10;18;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800 Are we there yet?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;10;18;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

My bags are always packed!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;3;29;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Brilliance 3/29/2004

Rita,

San Juan can and does get hit by hurricanes... so if you're watching the weather depending on when you're flight leaves you may want to get down a day or so earlier if you're airline allows for a change due to "incoming storms" I know American allows this w/o extra charge, it just becomes available on short notice so keep an eye out.

Carolyn

Archived