Rome to Amalfi Coast

oshawa

Is it possible to do a day tour from Rome to the Amalfi Coast and return? Will be in Rome for two days and would love to see the Coast having been in Rome on a previous cruise and did see the majority of sights with a private driver. Not sure of my geography so don't know if this type of one day tour is feasible or worthwhile.

Thanks in advance for anticipated advice.

We did this in 2007 and took the train to Naples and back. A prearranged driver met us at the station for the Amalfi tour. We did Pompeii and in hindsight would have skipped it for the added time on the coast but many claim Pompeii was the highlight of their trip. We only had time for Sorrento and Postiano but we did have a long and enjoyable lunch, best meal I've ever paid for. The direct trains then left and returned every hour on the half hour beginning around 5:30 am and ending at around 6:30 pm. Check the train schedule as it could have changed. 1 1/2 hour trip, coffee and paper but bring your own paper unless you can read Italian. Drivers can also be arranged from Rome and many are recommended on these boards. I am using the same driver this Oct. from a Naples cruise stop but will concentrate on the coast only. Happy Cruising

While it may be physically possible, you're talking about hours and hours in transit for ... a view and a meal? It's a great view, don't get me wrong, but I can't see all that train or car time. Seems like a long way to go when there is great food in Rome and lots to see as well.

Edited to add: After reading Billiam's response, I'd like to point out that while the actual train trip from Termini to Napoli Centrale is about an hour and a half, there's lots of other transportation time to figure in, including getting to the train station, waiting for your train, making connections at Naples, driving ... and then double it all for the return. I'd estimate actual traveling time at more like five hours down and five hours back, longer if you're going in high season.

You are in luck! This tour can be done easily and affordably with a company called Rome In Limo. Their full info can be found at RomeInLimo.com if you want more details and pricing. We used this company for our Italy tours on our Oct. 07 cruise and were amazed with their high level of customer service, safety, and interesting and fun guides/drivers. We will be using them again on our next Med. cruise this Nov. You will find all kinds of good reports here on cruise critic. I'm not normally one of those people who go on and on about different tour companies, but they made our vacation so memorable I can't help but sing their praises. We used other tour co. in our non-Italy ports and they offered standard service at the same prices while Rome In Limo gave exceptional service and were the main reason we enjoyed Italy more than any of the other countries on our cruise.

Here's a little info about their Amalfi Coast tour from Rome. Just email them through the link on their website and you will get personalized info & prices just for your group. Have fun...that area is beautiful and worth the time and money to see it even on a day trip from Rome!!! It's an experience you will treasure!

Rome Surroundings - Guided tour in Rome

This tour has been designed for those who wish to enjoy Rome's surroundings in one day only. Come with us to visit the green heart of Italy, these cities are not only of a great natural beauty, but they also have fine traditions and culture heritage as can be seen in towns and medieval villages until today:

•Orvieto / Todi / Assisi / Spoleto

•Pompeii or Hercolaneum

•Sorrento / Positano

•Florence / Orvieto

•Florence outlet Factories

•Tuscany wine tour

•Saturnia SPA & Wellness

We are prepared to meet all of your travel requirements and we can personalize the tours upon your request and budget. Our staff is able to satisfy every request with professionalism and courtesy.

Please tell us what your interests are for your visit to Italy and we look forward to welcoming you.

While it's physically possible, it would be a very long day. I imagine there are a few things in Rome you didn't see yet :cool:, but if you want a nice day trip, I would look into Ostia, Tivoli, or a Frascati wine tour. You would spend much less time and money on transportation and have a great time.

While it may be physically possible, you're talking about hours and hours in transit for ... a view and a meal? It's a great view, don't get me wrong, but I can't see all that train or car time. Seems like a long way to go when there is great food in Rome and lots to see as well.

Edited to add: After reading Billiam's response, I'd like to point out that while the actual train trip from Termini to Napoli Centrale is about an hour and a half, there's lots of other transportation time to figure in, including getting to the train station, waiting for your train, making connections at Naples, driving ... and then double it all for the return. I'd estimate actual traveling time at more like five hours down and five hours back, longer if you're going in high season.[/quote

We did it as I stated, am over 70, 15 hour day but well worth it. Not for Wuses however.

Archived