Where to buy waterproof rain gear specifically?

poolwife

Awhile back someone posted a web site on the boards and unfortunately I failed to keep it that showed waterproof rain parka with hood and pants.

Anyone know of a good web site? Thanks

Yes, the 3 in 1 jackets were all a buzz while back, but there was also someone that put a link to a web site for some thicker, real waterproof rain wear. And, of course, I misplaced it.

Try any of the following places (either online or at their stores): Gander Mountain, REI, LL Bean, Campmor, Eddie Bauer, etc... We got our jackets at Eddie Bauer and pants at Campmor. Both worked out great. Be sure to get waterproof, not water resistant and it's better if it's breathable.

If you plan on doing anything that requires exertion, make sure that you get something that is breathable (such as gore-tex). Otherwise, it gets pretty clammy. If it's not breathable, when you sweat the warmth and moisture can't get out (it just stays inside). I'm pretty sure that most of the 3 in 1 jackets are just water resistant--not water proof.

I find that REI.com and REI-Outlet.com are great for this kind of stuff.

I wouldn't spend a lot of money buying specialty rain gear that you wouldn't normally have much use for at home. You might not even need it. Take a decent rain jacket, or even just one of those cheap plastic ponchos. Many excursions will provide rain gear if appropriate. For example, we are doing the Glacier View Bike and Brew in Juneau and it says that rain gear is provided if necessary.

Although it can rain a lot in AK, it's not always hard rain. Sometimes it's just misty, drizzly rain and doesn't require much in the way of rain protection at all. I often don't even bother to put the hood up on my rain jacket when we get rain like that here in Seattle... which is quite often! As I tell my kids, getting a *little* wet isn't going to kill you!

I am doing that Juneau bike and brew tour also. Especially looking forward to the brewery part, ;-) Should be 5 o'clock somewhere, I would hope! Actually around noon when the tour reaches that part. Tom

We spent the money to buy LL Bean waterproof jackets for our first trip to Alaska. We only needed them once, but they were certainly worth the cost that day in Juneau when the rain came down in sheets. That trip was back in late August of 03, and the jackets still look like they're brand new even though we have taken them along on every trip we've taken, and wear them at home whenever it's windy or rainy.

We bought our rain jacket and pants sets at Costco! $30 a set, they had men's and women's and are of fantastic quality. Took the pants, didnt need them but the jacket was terrific, extra pockets inside, hood had a bit of a visor which helped in the blowing rain.

I bought inexpensive waterproof rain jacket and pants at Gander Mountain for only $30 each. I was in Alaska June 8th-19th and never needed the pants as we had great weather but was glad I have them. I wore the jacket a LOT as it was perfect for the cooler mornings. On glacier days, I wore a windproof fleece jacket under the rain jacket. It was a perfect combo.

If Ketchikan is your first stop you can definitely buy rain gear and fleece jackets while in port. The selection is great, they're only about $10 or $15 and they have nice Alaska logo's. I REALLY wish I had waited to buy in Ketchikan as I wanted one but couldn't justify buying a second jacket.

If Ketchikan is your first stop you can definitely buy rain gear and fleece jackets while in port. The selection is great, they're only about $10 or $15 and they have nice Alaska logo's. I REALLY wish I had waited to buy in Ketchikan as I wanted one but couldn't justify buying a second jacket.

This is what I'm planning to get. I have a decent rain jacket, but a few years old and getting pretty worn. It will get me through this trip if necessary, but I could use a new one. So I will take the old one and look for something new in port. Same with fleece. I have some old ones, but I'm not buying anything new before this trip. I'm sure I'll find one I like in port, and it will be a great souvenir from my honeymoon. Wedding in 12 days... cruise in 13...

This is what I'm planning to get. I have a decent rain jacket, but a few years old and getting pretty worn. It will get me through this trip if necessary, but I could use a new one. So I will take the old one and look for something new in port. Same with fleece. I have some old ones, but I'm not buying anything new before this trip. I'm sure I'll find one I like in port, and it will be a great souvenir from my honeymoon. Wedding in 12 days... cruise in 13...

I see you're from Issaquah...I'm headed there the first week of September for my nephew's wedding.

Have a great time on your honeymoon!

Since the hub and I live in Southern Cal and rarely venture to Northern climes, I hated the idea of stocking up on "weather gear" for our Alaska CruiseTour in August. I was purging some clothes and dropping them off at the Goodwill when I saw a sign in the window -- Winter coats $9. Despite the 90+ temps, and my perceived bias that I am not a "Goodwill shopper".:rolleyes:

I was delighted to leave with 2 LandsEnd coats in pristine condition, 3 pairs of name brand waterproof pants, a fleece hat with its tags still on, 2 LandsEnd flannel shirts for the hub, a wool Pendleton, a pair of women's Nike barely worn hiking boots, and two London Fog labled trench coats (one had a pair of fawn skin gloves inside, one still had its lables!). Even with the drycleaning/washing my cost came out to be less than one new trench. The hub liked that!

So long story, to say this-- try your local Goodwill. Be picky of course-- you may be surprised. :cool:

After our cruise we plan on donating most of it back to Goodwill. But I think most of it will stay in our cruise closet with the tux and my dresses. ;)

Awhile back someone posted a web site on the boards and unfortunately I failed to keep it that showed waterproof rain parka with hood and pants.

Anyone know of a good web site? Thanks

whole earth provisions -- rei --- try both.

we have a whole earth in houston.........i bought pants and a jacket today (The North Face brand---wonderful, zippers that allow you to put on w/o taking boots off and velcro to secure all seems -- I plan on being dry if it rains!). I'm really a small gal and they fit perfectly!!

They have a website, check it out.

jj

One more thumbs up for Goodwill...I made some amazing finds. I think it's people from up north that move to Florida and get rid of stuff and the one time skiers or people who buy for a trip (or Alaska Cruise;)) and decide to get rid of it. Most of it looks barely worn or still has the tags. Actually I'm off again today to see what I can find at the two up north of me...the thrill of the hunt!!!

Are there more than one store in Ketichan that sells the rain gear. i want to buy it there rather than packing it. I like the idea of it saying Alaska on it (hadn't thought of that was just thinking of the packing). what is the name of the store I should look for?

Also never thought to look at goodwill ~ will try that too...

Thanks for the tips!

Tongass Trading in KTN had a good selection of clothing that was cheap.

I notice some posters are from So Cal. Around May or June of last year, Big 5 was clearing out windbreakers and we found some for $20 each. Be sure they are breathable and waterproof. They pack very small and are lightweight. We wore sweatshirts and tees most of the time and just slipped on the windbreakers when it rained. Try to find ones with a hood that detaches or rolls up. That avoids becoming an annoyance using an umbrella in ports (one less item to pack too!)

Archived