Lubeck or Schwerin Better?

Leaving tomorrow to fly to London and board the Constellation. Wondering if anyone has advice about which is better to tour - Lubeck or Schwerin, from the port in Warnemunde. Mostly want to see an old town square with interesting buildings and some interesting shopping. From my research, I do not see anything too exciting in Wismar or Rostock. And if I go as far as Lubeck, should I try to see Hamburg instead? I will have 12 to 14 hours off of the ship.

Leaving tomorrow to fly to London and board the Constellation. Wondering if anyone has advice about which is better to tour - Lubeck or Schwerin, from the port in Warnemunde. Mostly want to see an old town square with interesting buildings and some interesting shopping. From my research, I do not see anything too exciting in Wismar or Rostock. And if I go as far as Lubeck, should I try to see Hamburg instead? I will have 12 to 14 hours off of the ship.

Check here:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2008/08/heinbloed-cruise-guides.html

Look what might be the most interesting for you:

Old Town Square with interesting building plus shopping sounds more like Hamburg to me...

Regards,

HeinBloed

We went to both Lubeck and Schwerin a few weeks ago following HeinBloed's most excellent advice. The two cities are completely different and both lovely in their own right.

The castle in Schwerin is like something out of a fairy tale and the free gardens at the castle (we didn't go to BUGA ... no time ...) are simple stunning. We had a truly delicious lunch at Kartoffelhaus only to find later that it was one of the restaurants that HeinBloed has as a recommendation on his guide to Schwerin. (Good choice, HeinBloed!)

Lubeck is very nice, too, with beautiful old buildings, a very interesting cathedral with an amazing clock inside, some winding streets and a nice town square, plus the wonderful hot chocolate at Neidreiger's (sp?). I didn't find any good shopping at either location (well, except for the marzipan at Lubeck ... )

If I had to choose one over the other (a really hard decision to make), I would probably choose Schwerin, but you won't go wrong with either choice. I'm glad I went to both.

Check here:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2008/08/heinbloed-cruise-guides.html

Look what might be the most interesting for you:

Old Town Square with interesting building plus shopping sounds more like Hamburg to me...

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hello HeinBloed, Your advice is amazing. I scrolled through looking for information on how to get from whatever terminal the Regatta (Oceania Cruises) will be arriving at on Wed, July 29th and could not find any information on your site. Any suggestions on how we can get to the nearest interesting towns from Warnemunde? Is there a brewery tour anywhere nearby as well? Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. I appreciate it!

Hello HeinBloed, Your advice is amazing. I scrolled through looking for information on how to get from whatever terminal the Regatta (Oceania Cruises) will be arriving at on Wed, July 29th and could not find any information on your site. Any suggestions on how we can get to the nearest interesting towns from Warnemunde? Is there a brewery tour anywhere nearby as well? Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. I appreciate it!

Like calling the phone directory assistance:

WHICH CITY???

You should take my blog as inspiration to decide where you would like to go...

Once you made a selection (of one, two, three) I am double checking with your cruise ship itinerary if it would be workable to the day...

If yes you get also a schedule and ticketing suggestion with your name...

So like 411:

WHICH CITY???

Regards,

HeinBloed

Most cruise ships are arriving in the normal cruise ship terminal which leads right into Warnemünde. I have only seen one go into the city and that was 2 years ago when 3 large cruise ships were in dock. I saw 3 yesterday and they were all docked in Warnemünde.

The trains, or S bahn, make it easy to get to most neighboring towns. It all depends on where you want to go. As for brewery, we have one in Rostock but not sure if they give tours. If they did it would be in German. There is nothing on their site in English.

I'm playing catch up too fast obviously since I forgot to mention which city. We are thinking to go to Schwerin and Rostock if we can figure it out with your help. Thank you! Laurie

Like calling the phone directory assistance:

WHICH CITY???

You should take my blog as inspiration to decide where you would like to go...

Once you made a selection (of one, two, three) I am double checking with your cruise ship itinerary if it would be workable to the day...

If yes you get also a schedule and ticketing suggestion with your name...

So like 411:

WHICH CITY???

Regards,

HeinBloed

I'm playing catch up too fast obviously since I forgot to mention which city. We are thinking to go to Schwerin and Rostock if we can figure it out with your help. Thank you! Laurie

No problem... I will revert... need a little time to update my blog with the information from last night.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Check here:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/warnemnde-germany-lbeckschwerin-train.html

Scroll down to ROTTERDAM on July 14, 2009.

If you can live with the schedule suggestion with a later departure after 08.00 hrs you can go the same schedule.

But if you prefer to leave earlier (as your ship should arrive at 06.00 hrs):

you must be willing to pay up to 20 EUR per person more.

So stay with the same schedule??? Or you like to go earlier and pay more???

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived