Mendenhall glacier walkabout...opinions?

caballo1

Planning the Mendenhall glacier walkabout excursion and was wondering who had some thoughts on it on/or the operator helitrek. This is the excursion that has a one hour glacier visit as opposed to the 20-25 minute experience on the other trips.....

thanks

In my opinion, this is a poor choice, if the treking is your priority. I ONLY recommend the level 3 tour with Northstar Trekking and never anything shorter. It is hardly worth the extra money, since you essentially don't get much further than the regular glacier helicopter landing. By the time, the group gathers, accounts for the lagger people, and then only going as fast as the slowest person, you would have been far better off, just taking the cheaper regular landing, and going out on your own, which is simple to do.

For clairfication, I just again (7 trips) did a regular glacier landing and had 45 minutes on the glacier, going independent. Going with a ship tour, has these short landing times, due to a very tight schedule, becoming almost shuttle like.

Archived