I'm So Disappointed

LDE - Any way that you can use some of the money that you are saving on the wedding and bring a couple of people? Parents or maybe siblings? Without offending anyone?

I understand why you feel sad. I guess nothing is perfect. But if you got a good guy - that's something to celebrate!! And I am sure you will have a beautiful wedding. All the best to you.

Thank you. I do have some relatives going, my sister and her husband and daughter. My aunt and uncle and two of my good friends. The rest to be honest, just don't have the means to take that kind of vacation and/or they have kids. I knew going into this I would have a very limited amount of people that would go. My mother doesn't want to go which makes me sad.

The cocktail reception sounds great and now I am working on having that. I have a caterer all set who will make appetizers and I'll have a bar. Monday, I'm going to look at a historical mansion our county rents out. All together it will cost about $3,000.00 which is really much cheaper than having the wedding here and having a sit down dinner. It also solves the problem of children as most people will not bring their children to something billed as a "cocktail reception." This is more of a small affair and what I would prefer. Thanks for the good idea!

• 3 weeks later...

LisaDoesEarth,

I have been following your posts. Sorry about your family, I know what that is like. With my family we had to just finally say we are getting married on this date, at this location, if you are there great if you are not you can see the pictures when we get back. It saved me a lot of heartache by just making that decision.

You will love having a cruise wedding. We were married on the first day before the ship left port in Vancouver BC, Canada. We had 60 guests come aboard for the wedding and sit down luncheon and we had 23 stay and cruise with us. It was wonderful and the whole time we felt like movie stars. You could hear people talking as we would pass by "thats the couple that got married onbaord" you feel really special. And on the second formal night we dressed in our wedding clothing again. This time I didn't wear the veil and I just did my hair myself (I would recommend booking an appointment should you choose to do this) we went to the Captains Cocktail Party, and even ended up on the Cruise Review Video. So on the last night everyone got to see us again!!!

Make sure you save your pennies because all the pictures they take are so beautiful you will want to buy them all. And I would totally recommend buying the negatives as well so then you can make as meny copies as you wish. Or at least get all the pictures on CD if they are digital. We did it all. And it was our best decision. We purchased over 300 pictures, negatives and CD's. We had someone else make our cruise wedding video and my husbands little brother edited it for us and you can't tell the difference he did such an awsome job.

Most of all, enjoy your day!!! I wouldn't change a thing about mine!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry to hear about that! Why don't you just get married on the beach before the wedding! You can still wear your dress and everything and it will save a lot of money. That is what we are doing!

Good luck figuring it all out :)

Hi Lisa:

I'm so sorry to read about the family problems that you are having. It's so sad that they can't put away "their issues" for one day to celebrate your wedding. You're much better off with your current plans, will have less stress and you'll be extremely happy. Your wedding day is based on you and your future husband and that's all that matters. If anyone else wishes to share in your wedding then take it as a bonus. This is your special day and this is something that you're going to remember for the rest of your lives so enjoy it, celebrate it anyway you want to and be happy!

Every cruise that I've been on I've seen brides/grooms all dressed up and it's beautiful to see. Definitely wear your gown and feel like a princess, you deserve it!

For those that will be attending your wedding, see if anyone can take a video of your ceremony, etc. so you have that as well as pictures. When you return from you cruise have a get together with family/friends and show them the video/pictures. You can do this with a few people at a time or a lot of people. At least everyone will be able to see your wedding, your beautiful gown and your special day. Bring your own camera of you so each of you can take pictures of yourselves and have passengers take pictures for you. I doubt anyone would say no.

I'll be celebrating my 10th anniversary in July and DH/I are going to renew our vows on the ship. We've been talking about this since the day of our wedding and our dream is coming true. I'll be wearing my wedding gown again and I have to say that at almost ten years later I still fit into it perfectly. My gown has a cathedral train and I feel like a princess in it. Not sure when our vows will actually take place but we are requesting our wedding day which is a formal night so.. we are definitely staying dressed up. It's going to be a very special day for us and we are really looking forward to it. We plan on having the ship photographer take pictures of us and I'm going to ask someone to take a video of us as well. I already asked my friends that I meet on the "roll call" to join our ceremony since it's only the two of us and some of them will be attending. I might ask our table members as well just to have a few more people there if they would like to share our special day. No matter what our dream will come true and it will be a memory to last forever.

I wish you all the best with your planning and no matter what anyone says don't worry about it. This is your special day and you can enjoy it anyway you want to. Have a beautiful wedding, a fantastic honeymoon and much love/luck/happiness to you and your future husband.

C Ya!

Thank you everyone for all your comments about this subject. I come from a VERY small family and my other half comes from a VERY LARGE family. We have already booked the wedding to take place on the day of depart. This way so his family can attend. I wonder if I will be able to change it to the first formal night. It sounds SSSSOOOOOOOOOOO much better. His side of the family wants this and that, this and that and i'm just getting tired of it. Like "Who's wedding is it anyway?" (sorry i like that show)... I have that one of a kind dream dress and the perfect guy but his side of the family.... well i guess you know where i'm coming from. thanks again everyone for your advice. i will talk this over with him and see where this goes from here.:)

• 3 weeks later...

Lisa,So glad to see someone going thru same thing I am. We decided it would be so much more simple if it was just my fiance and my 2 kids with us. We just could'nt please everyone and when it started to create all this stress for us we said we had to find another way. So... screw everyone else, we're gonna spend all that $ on us :) ! I just need to find a cruise now:confused: Good luck to you! Gina

When you return, have a small reception or party & wear your dress.

It sounds like someone else on this board did that. She also suggested playing a video of the wedding. Have some pics of the wedding & honeymoon in albums for people to look at.

Or, make up a couple of "easles" with pics for people to look at instead of albums.

Good luck.

[greatcruisinghome]

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lisa

We have just returned from our cruise on the Star - we had our wedding in the Hearts and Minds Chapel -it was just FANTASTIC !!

This was the 2nd time around for both of us too, and although I was a little sad at not having family with us, we requested the web-cam to be on for the ceremony so that our friends and family were able to watch it back in the UK.

Just a little tip - think carefully about the day you want you wedding on. We boarded the ship on the Sunday and had the wedding on the Friday.

You will be tired from travelling

You wont have had time to find your way around the ship

You need time to go through your ceremony with your wedding co-ordinator, if you do decide to make any small changes, it will be a last minute rush.

Choose a Formal night (as we did) you wear your gown for your wedding and also at night - we chose the last formal night and got to start off the champage waterfall, the place was packed and we had some fantastic photos taken of us waving at the crowd as they cheered us on.

You will probably meet a number of couples through the week, who will be delighted to attend the chapel - it makes their cruise a little special too.

Remember this is a special day for you and your partner. It is a day that is solely about the two of you, showing the world that you are in love and that you want to spend the rest of your lives together. As long as the both of you are together - that's all that really matters.

We are having a party for all our friends and family next weekend - we are going to play the video, and will be displaying the gorgeous photos to show everyone how romantic the day was. (and I get to wear my gown again!!)

I'm sure you will have a wonderful day - wear your gown, you will be treated like a princess - our fellow travellers came up to us and congratulated us all day and night & even the following day.

Keep us all up to date with your plans - I for one will be rooting for you. Go and have fun!!!

Yvonne

Archived