taking the bus to the beaches

robbyxoxo

anyone here ever been to Cahuita national park???.......seems like NO ONE from the cruise ships ever goes to the beaches in Costa Rica.....not sure whats up with that....i see where Cahuita national park is only 26 miles north of Limon.....i think we are gonna try to go there to check things out.....was hoping that someone from here has been there before......or has anyone here ever taken one of the local buses anywhere?.....from what i gather its pretty cheap to take the bus and not even that much to take a cab.....anyone with bus or cab tips please throw in your two cents:)

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the Brilliance where we booked an excursion to Cahuita offered from the ship - forgot how much it was, maybe $60 pp.

The excursion appears to be a new operation. If you want glamour, this tour is not for you. It features an open-air bus (read school bus) that involves an 1 1/2 hour ride mostly along the coast, about 45 km south of Puerto Limon - the scenery is awesome. lots of big surf, banana plantations etc.

The people running the tour were great - a lot of energy, a lot of local flavor. After the long ride, you are brought to a a resort town that is very primative w/ dirt roads etc. It appears to be a favorite place for locals to go to the beach. The beach itself was incredibly beautiful, nice sand for sunning, palms, sloths in the trees etc. Don't expect to find much in terms of amenities however - no lounge chairs, no beach drinks. While we were there the surf was so high that swimming was discouraged. Still a beautiful day at the beach. Best part was not too many people were there from the ship - its good to get away from them now and then.

The town itself is a good place to get a bit to eat and drink, not much for shopping though.

The trip back was a blast. The rum punch was flowing, and much dancing on the bus with everyone playing homemade maracas. The tour staff insisted everyone join in. I think maybe we broke a dozen or so laws on the way back. At one point we stopped at a police checkpoint, and with the music blasting we offered the officer our rum punch served through the open windows of the bus. He just grinned and waved us through.

I loved the excursion; but it's certainly not for everyone's taste.

• 3 weeks later...

Drsives, i missed your reply since we left on jan 2nd for this trip.....but just got back....your description was right on target!.....only downer was that we caught a rainy day that day and didnt get to enjoy all it had to offer....the only thing i would add is for those who arent afraid to mix it up a little with the local flavor, id advise taking the local bus to the park....cost was only 75 cents and we were there in less than in hour....the bus stops right at the park entrance and catching a bus back is easy as it makes lots of stops there during the day......this trip would be for those who dont mind roughing it a bit.....but its a great place to see jungle and unspoiled beaches and to avoid the crowds of tourists:)

Archived