Caneel Bay

sscruising

We have been to Trunk a few times & are planning to go to Caneel this time. What is the best & most economical way to get there from the pier in St. Thomas? Are there facilities & what are the costs to rent chairs, umbrellas, etc.?

Sandi

There are no rentals at Caneel. You can use the main beach, but not walk anywhere on the property. The property is patroled and for guests only. Food and drink are available for non guests. You get a cab from Cruz Bay, St John as you get off the Red Hook ferry. Leave plenty of time to return to your ship. Generally there are cabs waiting at Caneel's pick up area. There is no snorkeling to speak of off of the main beach.

We had the most wonderful day at Caneel about 8 years ago - so maybe it's changed as far as security. I do remember ignoring the "guests only beyond this point" signs. We walked around the property - we swam at all 7 (I think) of their beaches. The place was almost deserted and the shuttle driver who transports guests all over the resort encouraged us to just flag him down and he would take us to the next beach. He didn't care that we weren't guests of Caneel. It was UNBELIEVABLE. Likely the best day we have ever had on a cruise. As I say, it may have changed, and we were a bit daring. However, I am so glad we were.

Thanks for your input! We may be daring, too - we plan to walk the Lind Pt. Trail to visit Saloman and Honeymoon Beaches and then circle back to Caneel. Since we're there in mid-September, it may be pretty deserted then, also!

Archived