A few questions

OceanWind

Hello

I have a few questions I need answered before I confirm my excursion plans for my cruise (NCL wind Jan 15). So far this board has been great but I need more help. Thanks in advance.

1. I have booked a car with Dollar on Kauai. Does anone know if there is a shuttle from the port to the airport where I think Dollar is? Is dollar ok?

2. I want to go whale watching when I am in Lahaina Maui. Any suggestions?

3. I have booked a helicopter flight from Hilo. What else is there to do in Hilo without spending a lot of money?

4. Has anyone seen a sunset from Kalahaku summit (Maui)? Everyone talks about sunrises but because of the cruise itinerary I can only get to a sunset.

Thanks again. Can't wait

1. don't know

2. I personally like Pacific Whale Foundation, primarily for their mission and their eco-friendly boats. You can check them out here: http://www.pacificwhale.org/

3. You could go visit the Volcanoes National Park ... short drive from Hilo. Lots to see and explore and if you have a National Park pass, it'd be free. Also, can go to see Rainbow Falls or Akaka Falls ... or go to the Big Island Candies factory. Or you could go visit the town of Hilo itself and walk around.

4. Kalahaku? Oh, the Haleakala summit overlook! (sorry, nobody calls it that ... well, except maybe the park rangers). It faces the wrong way - I don't think it's possible to see the sunset from there. There are places on the road up to Haleakala that would have a view of the sunset. But honestly, the view of the sunset is just as good from Lahaina itself.

Spleen

Aloha,

Dollar is very good but I've never had a problem with any of the car rental companies on any of the islands. When you get off the ship at Nawiliwili, follow the fence toward the security guard shack. Bring a cell phone and call Dollar. Tell them you need a Pier Pickup. It's about a 10 minute drive from/to the airport. Chances are slim that they would happen to be there waiting for you.

Also suggest you check the rates on the internet to save some $$. I usually go to Orbitz where the rates for all the car rental companies can be found. I locate the type of vehicle I want and book the one with the lowest rate. No charge if you don't pick up the car.

Keli`i

Hey Spleen,

In November from Lahaina, the view of the setting sun was blocked by Lanai. Not sure if the sun would move enough by January or not. Probably the Lihei, Wailea, or Makena beaches would provide an unobstructed view.

Dan - huh, that's true. Depending on the season, it might be obstructed. I usually end up watching the sunset from one of the ocean overlooks on Honoapiilani Highway - gorgeous views of the sunset and you can look for whales at the same time. :)

Wailea DOES offer some gorgeous sunset views though.

waileasunset.jpg

Spleen

Archived