Are all Carnival ships this dangerous ???

BeachyLisa

This is true.......but there is no reason to have slippery surfaces around a pool.........it can be prevented with the right surface........

Agreed. Spirit has that same deck around the pool as Pride. Every few minutes on the sea days, someone was slipping. It's a retarded design.

Just returned from a cruise on the Carnival Pride and my biggest complaint is how dangerous the pool decks were. They are ice-rink slippery and the deck chairs are trecherous !! Every day we witnessed many many people slipping and sliding and stubbing toes and shins on the chairs. I can hardly imagine why Carnival would choose to not use a non-skid surface around the pools-I'm surprised they have not been sued !!:confused:

Maybe that is how everyone keeps falling off the ship!:rolleyes:

Agreed. Spirit has that same deck around the pool as Pride. Every few minutes on the sea days, someone was slipping. It's a retarded design.

Amen!!!!

Glad to know that only some of Carnivals ships use this material. I know it seems like common sense to take non-skid shoes but for those of us who do not cruise often it just wasn't a concern. Have been on 2 RCL cruises and never saw this happening-literally dozens of people every day slipping and falling. Seems like something else could have been used on the floor-it also never really dried due to the humidity and all of lido deck with the exception of mermaids was this flooring.

Again, if you cruise on these ships-Beware and heed the warnings about using the hand rails -saw lots of people take tumbles down the stairs as well.

Amen!!!!

Glad to know that only some of Carnivals ships use this material. I know it seems like common sense to take non-skid shoes but for those of us who do not cruise often it just wasn't a concern. Have been on 2 RCL cruises and never saw this happening-literally dozens of people every day slipping and falling. Seems like something else could have been used on the floor-it also never really dried due to the humidity and all of lido deck with the exception of mermaids was this flooring.

Again, if you cruise on these ships-Beware and heed the warnings about using the hand rails -saw lots of people take tumbles down the stairs as well.

Or just cruise RCCL and leave Carnival to those of us who are more sure footed :rolleyes:

With signs all over the place and with deck footwear being recommended in all Carnival material' date=' it would seem to me the rest is up to the passenger.

Nonskid surfaces require lots of maintenance on the open sea. The ship is not a swim club...it is a SHIP.

Wear proper footwear and watch where you're going.

Simple.

Over 250 cruises and I've never slipped, fallen, skid or come close.[/quote']

hmmmmmm, over 250 cruises?? Maybe you could tell us less exp cruisers how you did that.

I always slipped going through the sliding glass doors in & out of the buffet area on Lido. I was usually wearing flip flops, which have no real tread, so maybe that's why. Never hit the ground, but sure thought I was a couple of time. And no, no alcohol was involved.

Thanks to all that explained to me that water makes things slippery - I never knew!!

That being said it was not the wood that was slippery but the tiled part as pictured by previous poster. There usually was not any alcohol involved and yes the type of shoes definately matter, but seriously what are most people going to be wearing around the pool? Bare feet and flip-flops (especially kids and women) cuz I don't think I'd look so hot with my sneakers on with my bathing suit !!

Anyway, we had a great time and if we go again I'll get some non-skid flip-flops. The point was that while it is common sense that pool decks are going to be slippery this surface was way beyond that.

Well, as a soon to be first time cruiser, I thank you for starting this thread as a good warning. I've been on our BC ferries many times and the deck has that sprayed, bumpy non-slip surface. I've never slipped out there even in a storm. Otherwise, I've been on catamarans, sail boats, and dive boats with strict no shoes policies. So I hadn't really thought much yet about what footwear to take.

I almost wiped out on slippery tiles in a downpour in an open mall in Hawaii wearing my crocs, but my new crocs are better. It's scary when you feel like you're on ice.

Another thing to note, I had a pair of flat sandals that I only realized they had no traction whatsoever after almost wiping out on dry tiles in an all-inclusive resort buffet. Didn't wear them the rest of the trip. Afterwards I found that you can buy little traction pads that stick onto the bottoms of such shoes and it takes your throw-em-in-the-garbage shoes back to being safe and wearable again. I always check the tread on my shoes now and will pack "safe" for the cruise. Thanks!

Someone suggested non-slip surfaces. Where I work, they do the job! I mean, if you should fall on one of these surfaces, they really "do the job" on any exposed skin that makes contact with it!:eek: If I had the choice, I'll take a little bruise over the raw, bloody, "road rash"!;)

Not to mention the mold and everything else that builds up on the "non-skid" surfaces.

Just returned from a cruise on the Carnival Pride and my biggest complaint is how dangerous the pool decks were. They are ice-rink slippery and the deck chairs are trecherous !! Every day we witnessed many many people slipping and sliding and stubbing toes and shins on the chairs. I can hardly imagine why Carnival would choose to not use a non-skid surface around the pools-I'm surprised they have not been sued !!:confused:

We have sailed on many Carnival cruises and have never had any problems though I can sure see how it could happen if folks weren't careful.

We sailed on RCL in March 09 and saw several injured people, including freaking excursion injuries. Maybe we have been fortunate not to experience any of this w/ Carnival. It must be a combination of slippery decks, and a rockin' ship. If I had a small child playing on the pool deck, I would probably have them wear water shoes.

Happy and safe sailing to all!!!

Host Mach:

Please don't tell me that you actually want people to read and try to understand the different signs posted around the ship. You know how people are always in such a hurry these days. They simplly have to have everything right now. I have see people fall on the deck and most of the time how are running and or turning fast. I would say the more dangerous spot would be the stairs on the open decks. Exspecially the spiraling stairs where they are very narrow on one side, and you really can't get your whole foot on the step.

because this site sucks and doesnt let you edit your damn post, i must post again...

been on the spirit twice for a total of 20 days/nights, didnt see a single person slip or fall. but then again i wasnt sitting around and waiting for people to fall either.

why do i have a feeling i am going on time out again.

Not to mention the mold and everything else that builds up on the "non-skid" surfaces.

AND the fact that people would then be complaining about the "uncomfortable flooring" around the area where people are barefoot.

Bottom line.... where there is water, there is fluid friction, which is much less strong than any other kinds of friction. To increase friction, you have to make the surfaces more "bumpy", which leads to <a> people's tootsies' being uncomfortable when they walk and <b> people sustaining more injury when they fall (as kids are apt to do, I might say, when playing around the pool).

I'd generally say: assume the areas around pools will be slippery. Plan ahead and bring shoes with good traction, or avoid crossing those areas.

We were on the PRIDE in 2003 and saw the same thing. People were slipping right outside the pool, and along the side where the tables were. Didn't see this problem on other cruises. They obviously know it's a problem if they have staff using a squeegee (didn't help much though).

AND the fact that people would then be complaining about the "uncomfortable flooring" around the area where people are barefoot.

Put me in that camp. For me, it's to the point of pain, and I've never known why. I see others walk with nary a flinch, yet to me, it's like walking on knives. I just happen to like to walk barefoot where I can.

Archived