Ken/Northern Lights vs. Larry/Avid Anglers

VBMom13

I am trying to go salmon fishing in Ketchikan. Of course, I am trying to do it on a budget. The quotes I've received from both of these captains are quite different. One has quoted $165/pp plus tax, the other $150/pp tax included.

Is there a difference is services here and does the price difference warrant it?

We've been out with Ken of Northern Lights 3 different years. We have never been with the other one you listed.

Ken will generally try to fill his boat (4 to 6). Often, that may mean picking up people from different cruise ships. He will come and get you at your ship and return you there.

This year, our port time was shorter, so after fishing, Ken took the fish to the processor for us. He had forms on his boat, so we were able to fill in how we wanted it shipped and processed.

Ken will try different areas to hit the fish and he will help you fish for different kinds of fish. We always have a great time with him and have really enjoyed excursions with him.

We've been out with Ken of Northern Lights 3 different years. We have never been with the other one you listed.

Ken will generally try to fill his boat (4 to 6). Often, that may mean picking up people from different cruise ships. He will come and get you at your ship and return you there.

This year, our port time was shorter, so after fishing, Ken took the fish to the processor for us. He had forms on his boat, so we were able to fill in how we wanted it shipped and processed.

Ken will try different areas to hit the fish and he will help you fish for different kinds of fish. We always have a great time with him and have really enjoyed excursions with him.

Larry also takes the fish to the processor and has forms on board. Licenses also on board. I fished with him 6/26/2009 and had a blast. I never felt "crowded" and there were 5 of us. I really thought Larry worked extremely hard to make sure everyone had a good time and caught fish. I have 17 pounds of Smoked Salmon in my freezer right now to prove it! ;)

Neither included fishing license.

The $150 included tax. The $165 was before tax so it will probably be higher by about $15-20. I expect including tax the price per person for quote #2 to be $180-$185.

I'm also considering AAA Sportfishing using the coupon in the Northern Lights coupon book.

Ken/Northern Lights is so highly recommended here. I'm just wondering if he is truly worth the additional cost.

We had 6 fishiing with Ken of Northern lights back in early June. All 6 are avid fishermen from Michigan and wanted the experience of deep sea fishing, so they fished for halibut and bottom fish and did a little salmon fishing as well. They didn't catch much, but that could be because the time we were there. They were not that impressed with Ken's fishing tour. They all had a fairly good time, but they were expecting more. His boat was not well kept, and one in the group had to fish with a broken reel. They felt like he took his time to get them to a fishing spot, but rushed back into port since he wanted to get something fixed on his boat. I was suprised when the guys came back in from fishing and told me about their experience with Ken's, since every review I have read online has been so positive. Good luck with with whom ever you choose!

Archived