Can anyone recommend some good tours in Suva, Savusave,Port Denarau, Vavu, Nukualofa

lazy day

We were in Fiji a few years ago staying on Denarau Island. We went out on a catamaran from Port Denarau to an island for the day. They supplied a barbeque lunch and you could go snorkeling all day. Backpackers can stay overnight on the island. It was very relaxing and pretty. Unfortunately I can't think of the name of the island. Maybe someone else will recognise the island and know the name, but well worth the visit. We liked it so much we went back a few days later.

Denarau Island has a free shuttle bus which picks up from the port and does a circuit of the island constantly. Just jump on and hitch a ride, if they ask where you want to go just tell them the Sheraton or Worldmark resorts and off you go. You can go and check out some of the resorts and do some shopping in the resorts. We found them quite reasonable. Take your swimmers with you because all the resorts have pools and you can go for a swim. Try the pool at Worldmark - fantastic huge pool and you can get lunch in the restaurant alongside the pool.

We also went horse back riding along the beach. This was at one of the other resorts further around the island.

Why don't you google the places you will be going.

I haven't been to any of these ports but would recommend you post your question in the Ports Boards. I've attached the link for you:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104

I've also heard that where the ship docks at Suva can be dirty so it is recommended to get out of the city. You can visit the Cultural Centre, where they have fire walking, dancers & shopping. You can do the ship's organised tour or do the tour on your own (hire a taxi and pay the entrance fee), which from what I've read is about a third of the price of the ship's tour price.

But I have never been to Suva, so this is just from what I've read on these forums and am not sure how far the Cultural Centre is or whether it is recommended to go in the taxis. You are best to confirm with someone who has been to these ports.

I'm sure someone who has been to these ports will be able to give you some more information on what are the best and safest options in these ports.

We will be in Fiji and Tonga in September on the pd and can't decide on what tours to do.:confused::confused:

hi joools, if you want to go for a 2hour sightseeing tour in Suva i can give you the phone number and email of a taxi driver, he can take 14 paxs......his name is JOE....mobile +6797071155 and email lunar-joe@yahoo.com (if the email bounces back i'm not sure if its a dash or an under score after lunar) he charged us $10 PP for 2hours in Suva and he met us at Port Denarau the following day and he charged us $20 PP for 4 hours and make sure you see the Sleeping Giant and thats $7.50 extra....well worth it and he will stop in Nadi for some shopping.........just confirm that the prices are the same

if you dont have 14 paxs just ask on the boat and at those prices you will get the paxs

if need be he can get another mate if you have the numbers.........when we went we had 24 paxs with 2 vans

bob

Hi Jools,

My suggestions:

Suva - pre-book with the Arts Village at Pacific Harbour for the full-day Face to Face tour. They will arrange transport. Check out the Arts Village website for an email address and contact them direct. Alternatively, get a taxi (cost minimum of AUD$20 per hour) for a general sight-seeing tour, but there isn't that much to see!

Savusavu - snorkelling with RocknDownunder. They take you to the Lighthouse and Split Rock at a cost of AUD$30pp. When you walk out of the wharf complex, cross the road and walk very slight to the right. Kathy from RocknDownunder has a green roof on her stall. Alternatively take a taxi to the Daku resort where you can swim and snorkel.

Port Denarau - I suggest getting a taxi for a tour to the Garden of the Sleeping Giant (entry FJD12.50), tour through a local village, visit the enormous Hindu temple and maybe visit the handicraft market in Nadi. Cost for the lot including entry cost sould be no more than AUD$70 for a a 'taxi full'. Taxis generally cost a minimum of AUD$20 per hour.

Vava'u - taxi to the beach at Pangainmotu. Swim if you like. Have a general sightseeing tour.

Nuku'alofa - taxi tour past the royal palace, to blow holes and maybe to the Hufangalupe (Pigeon's Doorway), Ha'amonga'a Maui Trilithon, and ancient royal tombs. Cost should be a minimum of AUD$20 per hour. The tour would take probably 3 to 4 hours. If you just go through town and to the blow holes it would less than half that time. Alternatively, book a tour from the operators waiting beside the roadway from the ship to the main road.

Evon.

We will be in Fiji and Tonga in September on the pd and can't decide on what tours to do.:confused::confused:

Hi Joools...

We did the same Cruise on Pacific Dawn last year, you'll love it.

In Suva we didn't do any shore tours, but if it's your first visit I recommend the sightseeing tour that takes in the Museum (can't remember what it's called - we did it on our first visit to Suva.

In Savu Savu we did the Nukumbalavu Village Tour and the Black Pearl Farm Tour

In Port Denarau we did a helicport flight in the morning and then spent the rest of the day exploring the shopping complex/marina area.

In Vava'u we just explored the town, but if you get the chance do the buggy tour, provided you're not too tall. Unfortunately my partner was too tall to fit into the buggys, so we didn't do it, but those who did had a ball.

In Nuku'alofa we did one of the City Sights tours in the morning and the Cultural Village in the afternoon. I'd recommend doing shore tours here - as the ship docks quite aways out of the centre of town - and there isn't really much to the centre of town anyway.

Hi Kim,

I see that you recommend the tour that goes to the museum. I agree that the museum is quite good.

The museum now has a free shuttle bus operating from the wharf. A major advantage of going this way is that you can spend longer in the museum. People who went on the general sightseeing tour that stopped at the museum said it wasn't worth going in because they were only allowed 20 minutes and that wouldn't have been enough. They said they didn't want to pay the FJD7 entry fee for such a short time. I still think it would have been, but I agree that 20 minutes wouldn't be enough time. We 'cruised' through the museum and took an hour.

Evon.

• 4 months later...
Anyone else got any suggestions for tours in Port Denaru or Suva :confused:

I arranged independent tours in Nuku'alofa, Vava'u and Suva. All excellent and CHEAP. A little unwell at present but will give you the details if you email cruisybev28 @ bigpond . com

B E V

Hi Jodez

We did the shore tour to Naililili Village and thoroughly enjoyed it! In fact it was a highlight of the cruise for us!

They take you by bus through Suva and then out through the countryside and another town (can't remember the name) to the river, where you board the river boats (hillarious!!!) a short trip up the river to the village where the school children greeted us.

We then walked around the village, into the church (where their choir sang) and the scchool ... the kids were great! We then had a kava ceremony and more entertainment from the children and villagers.

It was just delightful! (And my kids found out about the delights of 'pineapple fanta' - it was one of the very welcome cold drinks on offer!):D

I'll see if I can find where I have my photos and post a link ....

Hi Jodez

We did the shore tour to Naililili Village and thoroughly enjoyed it! In fact it was a highlight of the cruise for us!

They take you by bus through Suva and then out through the countryside and another town (can't remember the name) to the river, where you board the river boats (hillarious!!!) a short trip up the river to the village where the school children greeted us.

We then walked around the village, into the church (where their choir sang) and the scchool ... the kids were great! We then had a kava ceremony and more entertainment from the children and villagers.

It was just delightful! (And my kids found out about the delights of 'pineapple fanta' - it was one of the very welcome cold drinks on offer!):D

I'll see if I can find where I have my photos and post a link ....

Thanks for that Linda,

Would love to see some pics :) We are going on the NYE cruise, so I am guessing that the school children will be on holidays at that time :confused:

Did you book through P&O or organise tour yourselves?

Jodie

Thanks for that Linda,

Would love to see some pics :) We are going on the NYE cruise, so I am guessing that the school children will be on holidays at that time :confused:

Did you book through P&O or organise tour yourselves?

Jodie

Hi Jodie

We booked it through P&O.

If you want to email me at linda.paton @ hotmail . com . au (join it all together obviously) I'll send you a link to our blog that we kept during that cruise.

Archived