butler service?

WooKeef

I know this has probably been discussed but I have not seen it as yet. I am NOT a high maintenance person and usually do not ask my cabin steward for much when cruising. However, I do appreciate them and tip them for their good service. I have NO idea what to do with a butler on Azamara...any ideas for me?

In contrast to some, our experience with our butler was great. I agree that a tuxedo isn't really necessary, but having 3 butlers/housekeepers in the Penthouse Suite was wonderful. We didn't really ask them to do anything out of the ordinary, I guess, but I knew that if we had any problems that Arvind, Minish, and/or Rosalie were really at our disposal. It was very nice being treated like special guests.

Sam

so it seems to me that one of the things that is intended to set Azamara apart from the rest is the Butler service...which doesn't seem to really be such??? From where I sit, I am paying a bit extra for the awsome itinerary and a smaller ship, wondering if they will do something to really set themselves apart in the crowd. That being said, I am very excited to be going on this cruise...glad to be able to try Azamara out.

Lora

I think ones experience with a butler is best defined by the cruiser. Ask your butler, whether in a suite or a veranda or anywhere else, for whatever it is that you need or want, and I think your butler will do his/her best to accommodate you. I've read other posts that indicate that butlers perform "only" a number of routine duties but that does not prevent them from doing much more.

Sam

I think ones experience with a butler is best defined by the cruiser. Ask your butler, whether in a suite or a veranda or anywhere else, for whatever it is that you need or want, and I think your butler will do his/her best to accommodate you. I've read other posts that indicate that butlers perform "only" a number of routine duties but that does not prevent them from doing much more.

Sam

seems like a good plan...I will do that.

I never had a butler and quite frankly we are low maintenance self sufficient travelers...

but we were thinking...HEY! a butler...that's cool!

So, this is what I was thinking I would ask the butler for...

Keep in mind, these are all things I would normally do on my own and not think twice about...

Can my butler return my library books at the end of the cruise?

Can my butler books us those shipboard tours we talked about on another thread?

Can my butler polish my shoes as they will be totally thrashed walking around cobblestones/sand for 24 days

Can my butler provide my DH a box of cereal and milk for his nightime bowl before he goes to sleep...( I swear DH needs a 12 step cereal detox program)

Can my butler make sure our AA batteries are charged?

I'm concerend about leaving them in our cabin unattended, but we need them for our cruddy cheapo cameras that actually take pretty good pictures

So what do you think? or these reasonable or out of line?

I never had a butler and quite frankly we are low maintenance self sufficient travelers...

Keep in mind, these are all things I would normally do on my own and not think twice about...

Can my butler polish my shoes as they will be totally thrashed walking around cobblestones/sand for 24 days

Can my butler provide my DH a box of cereal and milk for his nightime bowl before he goes to sleep...( I swear DH needs a 12 step cereal detox program)

I'm concerend about leaving them in our cabin unattended, but we need them for our cruddy cheapo cameras that actually take pretty good pictures

Thanks for this little bit of info...I think it sounds reasonable too. Although, I will have to give some serious thought to this too:) I am terribly low maintenance and not used to being spoiled these days.

My strongest memory of our butler and how we used his services was on a long 23-day cruise when DH developed a cold and pretty much stayed in the cabin for a couple of days. The butler kept him hydrated by frequently bringing him hot chicken broth and herbal teas. Our butler did this on his own without being asked and stopped by to check on DH every few hours as well bringing him extra blankets and adjusting the TV. DH felt well cared for - Just like Mom used to do when he had a cold. ----Penny

If you leave the books in your cabin at the end of the cruise, I imagine that the butler will return them. Although you might consider returning them as you finish them.;)

I think shoe shining is a listed service. As for the cereal, that's a room service item, and your butler may be off duty by the time you go to bed, but perhaps he can arrange with room service to have some on hand for you when you call. (How's that for a run-on sentence?)

And don't worry about leaving the batteries out - we left our laptop, phones and cameras out all the time and never had a problem.:)

I don't think the butlers make shore excursion reservations, but if you want to dine at the specialty restaurants, he or she can make those reservations for you (but since they are so popular, you might want to do that yourself as soon as you board so they're not booked out by the time you've met your butler and communicated your request).

I've been in both a Sky Suite and a 2A, so have had both 2 and 3 person teams. I found that I had far superior service in the 2A - little things like changing out dirty glasses in the bathroom were apparently beyond the grasp of the larger team.

I did find that our butler did things that a cabin steward on another line might not do - he often brought us breakfast in the morning...well, that's the only thing I can think of offhand.:o

Our biggest challenge was the failure several times of our airconditioning in the 2A, and I have to say that Alwin was on maintenance like a dog on a bone until they got it fixed.:) But I've had "ordinary" cabin stewards on other lines who would rise to the occasion as well.

If you leave the books in your cabin at the end of the cruise, I imagine that the butler will return them. Although you might consider returning them as you finish them.;)

I think shoe shining is a listed service. As for the cereal, that's a room service item, and your butler may be off duty by the time you go to bed, but perhaps he can arrange with room service to have some on hand for you when you call. (How's that for a run-on sentence?)

And don't worry about leaving the batteries out - we left our laptop, phones and cameras out all the time and never had a problem.:)

I don't think the butlers make shore excursion reservations, but if you want to dine at the specialty restaurants, he or she can make those reservations for you (but since they are so popular, you might want to do that yourself as soon as you board so they're not booked out by the time you've met your butler and communicated your request).

I've been in both a Sky Suite and a 2A, so have had both 2 and 3 person teams. I found that I had far superior service in the 2A - little things like changing out dirty glasses in the bathroom were apparently beyond the grasp of the larger team.

I did find that our butler did things that a cabin steward on another line might not do - he often brought us breakfast in the morning...well, that's the only thing I can think of offhand.:o

Our biggest challenge was the failure several times of our airconditioning in the 2A, and I have to say that Alwin was on maintenance like a dog on a bone until they got it fixed.:) But I've had "ordinary" cabin stewards on other lines who would rise to the occasion as well.

:eek:

Thanks for the insight, makes me think some more...seems the only thing I will want them to do is bring my coffee in the morning if they can do that...

:eek:

Thanks for the insight, makes me think some more...seems the only thing I will want them to do is bring my coffee in the morning if they can do that...

When we stayed in the Sky Suite we had specialty coffees included in our fare as long as we drank the in the cabin. Our head butler would bring those, if he was on duty. If not, then it was a room service person. For regular coffee, it'll be whomever is closest to the coffeemaker, I think.:)

And if you like half & half (as opposed to milk or <gack> skim), be VERY EXPLICIT about it. That was a running battle for me - apparently they were short on the 1/2 & 1/2/cream and for some reason wouldn't go to the market in Italy to get more.:rolleyes:

The only thing out of the ordinary out butler did for us was making reservations at the specialty restaurant. We would have done it ourselves except he heard my husband and I talking discussing it.

We're pretty low maintenance, though.

The only thing out of the ordinary out butler did for us was making reservations at the specialty restaurant. We would have done it ourselves except he heard my husband and I talking discussing it.

We're pretty low maintenance, though.

that will be useful...seems like they have a glorified name of "butler"...and do nothing that you cannot have another do for you. I find that a bit annoying. but, it is irrelevant...enjoying the cruise despite that.

Just another thought on the Butler service - he made sure we always had lots of Diet (Light) Coke and Tonic Water w/ fresh limes in our refrig - complimentary soft drinks are a suite perk. He also brought fresh rolls from

Cova in the morning with our breakfast. He also made sure we had fresh bottles of the Elemis products daily. We really enjoyed the service.

Archived