Any1 on the Spirit on the 7th August?

Yes my wife and I are on the 7th August cruise. We still haven't had any details of excursions but have been researching on this website--very useful. In particular wondering what to do about the Flam railway which seems very expensive and likely to be booked up in advance.

Hi, we did the train ride independently from Flam a few years ago and were lucky to be able to get the train around 1pm although we were at the ticket office at 10am but as the cruise companies had pre-booked carriages on earlier trains this was the first one we could get on.

You would perhaps fare better than us if you were to try to get ashore asap. I read someone got off just after 8am and was able to book as soon as the ticket office opened which I think would be a good move. If I remember correctly, there's only one berthing spot in Flam so if there are any more ships in, you may have to tender which will delay you getting ashore.

As the trip prices are very high, it would be much cheaper if you can adopt a DiY approach as even the return train tickets are around £33 each. But the train ride is dramatic and very scenic - a very memorable experience.

Enjoy Norway - it's stunning.

My husband and I are boarding the Spirit on 7th August, along with our two teenage children. On the Baltic Capitals cruise last year, there were quite a few teenages who all got together and it really made our holiday knowing the kids were mixing and having such a good time. I'm hoping it will be the same this year.

I have just started researching the excursions and the cost of trips does seem to be quite high (especially for 4 of us). We usually prefer to do our own thing anyway - thanks for the advice on the Flam railway.

I would welcome any further advice on DIY trips/sightseeing.

Hi hera40,

Have you spotted this thread?

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=957658

It has some info on most of the Baltic ports although I think your itinerary is a bit different from when we went. I would say a DiY approach is perfectly possible everywhere except St Petersburg - there's a lot of discussion on here about that too and perhaps if you want to go into Copenhagen you'd have to take the transfers as the ship now docks about an hour and a half drive away.

It's an amazing trip though - i'm sure you'll enjoy it. If you have any specific questions, I'll be pleased to help if I can.

Hi hera40,

Have you spotted this thread?

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=957658

It has some info on most of the Baltic ports although I think your itinerary is a bit different from when we went. I would say a DiY approach is perfectly possible everywhere except St Petersburg - there's a lot of discussion on here about that too and perhaps if you want to go into Copenhagen you'd have to take the transfers as the ship now docks about an hour and a half drive away.

It's an amazing trip though - i'm sure you'll enjoy it. If you have any specific questions, I'll be pleased to help if I can.

Sorry, misread your post and assumed you were going to the Baltic this year - please ignore the above!!!! Another senior moment!

Bergen is very easy to do a DiY - go up the Floybanen (funicular railway) to the top of Mount Floyen, follow the zig-zag paths down to the Bryggen, look around here and round the market on the harbour - very interesting.

Alesund is also somewhere you can explore independently. The ship docks right in town. You can climb the steps up the hill which overlooks the town and get stunning views of the islands around. There is a view point and cafe at the top. The houses along the waterfront in Alesund are pretty pastel colours and the whole town is very attractive. There is also a little land train (and I think a tourist bus too) if you don't want to do the climb. No need to go on a trip here if you haven't been before.

I've not been to Olden so can't help with that one.

Enjoy your trip.

Hi Kruzseeka,

Thanks for the info. For what it's worth, your information on the Baltic trips was spot on and the only organised tours we took were St Pete's and Copenhagen!

Did you get a Bergen card?

Hera

Archived