Soda Cards

1partyjan

Sounds like I would have to bring on my own Pepsi by the sound of this. We bought the unlimited stickers on Princess, but I think it's a little pricey to use a punch for a half a can of a cola I don't really care for in the first place. I prefer fountain sodas anyway.

The soda sticker was for unlimited cokes, are the cards for unlimited also, or did they cap it?

Unfortunately we watched tooooooo often families abusing the unlimited soda card. We were sitting around the pool one day when -- first the little boy went up to the bar and got a can of soda, then within a few minutes his sister went and got a can using the same card. Father waited awhile and then got his can -- and soon to follow was mother.

We decided to have cocktails at the Ocean Bar before dinner -- AND the same family did the same thing on the same day!!

This was a 10 day cruise and HAL was really getting ripped off by just this one family alone.

Can you imagine on some the Caribbean cruises where there are a lot more families how much HAL would get ripped off by families doing this??

It was a bad situation and nothing the bar tenders could do about it.

Sounds like I would have to bring on my own Pepsi by the sound of this. We bought the unlimited stickers on Princess, but I think it's a little pricey to use a punch for a half a can of a cola I don't really care for in the first place. I prefer fountain sodas anyway.

If you like Pepsi, then you should bring your own as HAL has only Coke Products.

I think someone told me you can use the soda card on another cruise if not used up, but it would be nice instead buy a soda for your tablemates or lounge-mates on the last day.

No one has mentioned the wine card, but I love it! Last cruise, I had a glass of champagne for aperitif, and white or red wine with my very well prepared meal. I even had wine at dining room lunch, which is really "vacation" for sure. I ordered these cards for soda and wine before sailing and they were lying on the desk when we came into our room. So nice....

Another reason to use the soda card -- my husband is SO cheap that it kills him to pay $2 for a soda, and he mutters and grumbles, so I got him a soda card for the last cruise and he was elated to use it; actually felt like he wasn't paying. He's someone who cheerfully pays $6000 for a cruise, but seethes over a soda for $2.

And here's another idea. Embarking, you are loaded up with your carryons, etc., and I don't know how I'd ever manage to carry a case of soda too, or even a 6-pack, but once in port, you can always buy some soda for the ship.

I think someone told me you can use the soda card on another cruise if not used up, but it would be nice instead buy a soda for your tablemates or lounge-mates on the last day.

Two years ago on the last day of the cruise, someone handed me a soda card which they had never used.

I promptly used it on our cruise the following year.

...Another reason to use the soda card -- my husband is SO cheap that it kills him to pay $2 for a soda, and he mutters and grumbles, so I got him a soda card for the last cruise and he was elated to use it; actually felt like he wasn't paying. He's someone who cheerfully pays $6000 for a cruise, but seethes over a soda for $2.

I'm the same way - it's the perceived value of the item. Knowing that it's just sugar and carbonation, water and packaging, $2 is a rip. The cruise, however, feels quite satisfying!

Just remember that HAL is looking into the electronic age very soon about these cards. They will be added to your room key for that particular cruise not transferable. This will mark the end of another era. No time line yet but soon is what we hear. Colakid.

Embarking, you are loaded up with your carryons, etc., and I don't know how I'd ever manage to carry a case of soda too, or even a 6-pack...

I stick 2 twelve packs on top of my rolly wine cooler thingy and roll it onboard.

I stick 2 twelve packs on top of my rolly wine cooler thingy and roll it onboard.

tape up your cases of soda and check them with your checked baggage hocus pocus, they magically show up in your cabin with your baggage. We do the same with our Case of Wine also.

Just remember that HAL is looking into the electronic age very soon about these cards. They will be added to your room key for that particular cruise not transferable. This will mark the end of another era. No time line yet but soon is what we hear. Colakid.

There goes the end to my wine cards carrying over from one cruise to the next. :mad:

r.

:) I'm on vacation. Why would I want to go back to the cabin to get a D.Coke when I'm up in the Crows Nest having a good time. After a few uses of the card the wait staff gets to know me and has a CAN of D.Coke at my table seconds after I request one. I do go on the longer trips and that is a help.

Grocery shopping is not on my "to do list" when I board, or stop at a Port. Lighten up...you jus spent hundreds or thousands on your trip and you are worroied about spending a few extra pennies for a soda.

And as Ruth said. no slips to sign/keep track of. The convenience is well worth it. Your vacation is to enjoy. Have fun on your trip.

The problem is.... since cruising is being "Dumbed Down" daily, sometimes people confuse cruising with camping.

redneck_cool_camping.jpg

tape up your cases of soda and check them with your checked baggage hocus pocus, they magically show up in your cabin with your baggage. We do the same with our Case of Wine also.

What's a rolly wine cooler thingy?

And do you tape up your cases of soda so they won't break open, or tape them together??

I gotta get the hang of this since I'll be bringing on some soda next trip!

Regarding using soda card on another sailing. We recently were on the Zaandam (July) and tried to use a previously punched card with some punches left. I was told the soda cards purchased for the current cruise were the only ones valid. It does state on the back of the card that they are only for use on current cruise. There is a number on the back also. I don't know how close they watch this.

to get so flipped out over soda. It's soda. Very strange. I don't know; I don't drink it; I'm a water girl, but this really is funny. Spend a gazillion dollars on a cruise and worry about the soda. I'd order a vat. :rolleyes:

to get so flipped out over soda. It's soda. Very strange. I don't know; I don't drink it; I'm a water girl, but this really is funny. Spend a gazillion dollars on a cruise and worry about the soda. I'd order a vat. :rolleyes:

I can understand what you are saying, but all the little things add up. I'm sure on some of our cruises some passengers shipboard accounts, came to more than we paid for the cruise.

We wouldn't miss out on anything we really wanted, but if you can save some money and still have a fantastic time, then why not save the pennies for an extra cruise!! :D

It's the same with shore excursions. We enjoy renting a car or taking a bus, much more than taking a tour with 50 other people, plus it saves loads of money.

And to come to a particular topic that you don't have any interest in, just to be a "ship-stirrer" seems a bit counterproductive, to put it mildly. It gets maddening to read all the posts asking people why they want to know what they want to know an offering unsolicited advice at every turn.

Yes, that's my Blue Cat meowing. He just passed away last month at age 17...:(

Totally off topic: Oh Blue Cat, I'm sorry for your loss! Your avatar has always makes me think DH's cat, Psycho-kitty and your cat could be twins. So hard to lose a fur-baby.

Back on topic: a good friend is really REALLY frugal. He figures that the HAL soda card is great value, compared to other lines he's cruised on.

• 2 months later...

Archived