Vietnam

chrispb

We are on the Volendam in October fstopping at Nha Trang, Phu My and Da Nang. Can anyone tell me if the ship is likely to sail through Halong Bay or if any of our stops are close enough to go there? Thanks.

We are on the Volendam in October fstopping at Nha Trang, Phu My and Da Nang. Can anyone tell me if the ship is likely to sail through Halong Bay or if any of our stops are close enough to go there? Thanks.

No

Halong Bay is about 3 hours East from Hanoi. And most cruise ships (other than the smaller Seabourn, Silversea, Crystal ships) are much too large to sail through Halong. It is very shallow in spots.

Your cruise ports are from about the middle of Vietnam South to Saigon. Vietnam is just about the same distance North and South as California-a very LONG country. If by chance you are Vietnam war era, take the time to see all that is around DaNang. Chu Lai, the huge marine base is South of DaNang. The Furama resort is built on China Beach, home of the large R & R center.

Then of course around Nha Trang is Cam Rahn Bay, our navy's deep water port and also the home of the largest air base installation. The air base has 2 2 mile runways used now for commercial flights and one that is supposed to be 4 miles long (still on the Vietnamese military side of the airport) and is now used as the Nha Trang airport (Cam Rahn airport).

Enjoy!!!!

I am on the Ocean Princess in December, and rather than waste sea days, I am flying to Hanoi for the day. You might want to check and see if ther are flight from Phu My to Howlong bay and or Hanoi and then back to Danang at the end of the day or the next morning.

My itinerary is Saigon to Hanoi at the end of the day in Saigon ($48.00PP for flight) 5 Star hotel in Hanaoi (using Visa points)and then tour of hanoi next day, at end of day we fly to Danang ($38.00PP flight) and again in 5 star hotel in Danang on the beach for $88.00, then next day tour of Ho an, Hue and Danang and then back to ship. Sea days to us are a waste of time, rather get land tours done.

I am on the Ocean Princess in December, and rather than waste sea days, I am flying to Hanoi for the day. You might want to check and see if ther are flight from Phu My to Howlong bay and or Hanoi and then back to Danang at the end of the day or the next morning.

My itinerary is Saigon to Hanoi at the end of the day in Saigon ($48.00PP for flight) 5 Star hotel in Hanaoi (using Visa points)and then tour of hanoi next day, at end of day we fly to Danang ($38.00PP flight) and again in 5 star hotel in Danang on the beach for $88.00, then next day tour of Ho an, Hue and Danang and then back to ship. Sea days to us are a waste of time, rather get land tours done.

Please share the wealth!!! How did you manage to get tickets so cheap??? I do a lot of internal flying in Vietnam for business and I have never seen airline tickets that cheap.

Are you staying at the Furama in Danang??? FANTASTIC place. I have probably stayed there 10 times. Make sure you get up early and watch the population of the entire area on the beach for community exercise. Enjoy!!!

then next day tour of Ho an, Hue and Danang and then back to ship. Sea days to us are a waste of time, rather get land tours done.

hope your driver is faster than ours was. To see all three in one day will be an interesting experience.:)

• 4 weeks later...
hope your driver is faster than ours was. To see all three in one day will be an interesting experience.:)

I am still trying to figure out what to do in Saigon as we are there for 2 full days.

As far as Danang, can Hue and Hoi An be done in one day?

Please share the wealth!!! How did you manage to get tickets so cheap??? I do a lot of internal flying in Vietnam for business and I have never seen airline tickets that cheap.

Are you staying at the Furama in Danang??? FANTASTIC place. I have probably stayed there 10 times. Make sure you get up early and watch the population of the entire area on the beach for community exercise. Enjoy!!!

Sorry I missed your post when you first posted it. I went to vietnam air and booked them myself. No, we are staying at the green plaza hotel on the beach. Thanks for the tip.

We will start early in Danang and see as much as we can, if we run short of time, there is always another cruise to take

I am still trying to figure out what to do in Saigon as we are there for 2 full days.

As far as Danang, can Hue and Hoi An be done in one day?

Stay in Saigon overnite rather than make the trip back to the ship each day. I don't know it it can be done, we have a battle plan and an itinerary, a private guide who is supposed to be excellent and a driver who did all nascar races without ever scratching the car. I will report back from the cruise after we leave vietnam. Which will be Dec.10th., on how much we accomplished in Danang.

Our ship will be docked at this port for one day.

Hue

Tien SA Port

Yet Kiev Street

Son Tra District

Danang City

Vietnam

Does this make a difference on what we can see? Any recommendations on tour guides?

Stay in Saigon overnite rather than make the trip back to the ship each day. I don't know it it can be done, we have a battle plan and an itinerary, a private guide who is supposed to be excellent and a driver who did all nascar races without ever scratching the car. I will report back from the cruise after we leave vietnam. Which will be Dec.10th., on how much we accomplished in Danang.

Why do you recommend staying in Saigon overnight? We will be docked here for two full days:

Ho Chi Min City

Nha Rong Port

Os Ngyen Tat Tahanh Street

District 4

How far is this from the city center?

Any recommendations on tour guides or what to do for two days?

Why do you recommend staying in Saigon overnight? We will be docked here for two full days:

Ho Chi Min City

Nha Rong Port

Os Ngyen Tat Tahanh Street

District 4

How far is this from the city center?

Any recommendations on tour guides or what to do for two days?

Then you will be in the heart of saigon. www.smiletoursvietnam.com, and pick some tours. I am using him for the 3 days.

Then you will be in the heart of saigon. www.smiletoursvietnam.com, and pick some tours. I am using him for the 3 days.

Al,

Thanks. Is you ship docking much further away? I don't know anything yet about the area. I wonder if Azamara will bring on local entertainment or what we might like to do in the evening. We could always look into a day tour/flight to Hanoi (we don't go there or Halong Bay) but my DH will unlikely agree to it, especially since we are leaving out ship overnight to go to Siem Reap at the next port. He enjoys the sea days, plus there may be scenic cruising in some of these areas, I just don't know.

Al,

Thanks. Is you ship docking much further away? I don't know anything yet about the area. I wonder if Azamara will bring on local entertainment or what we might like to do in the evening. We could always look into a day tour/flight to Hanoi (we don't go there or Halong Bay) but my DH will unlikely agree to it, especially since we are leaving out ship overnight to go to Siem Reap at the next port. He enjoys the sea days, plus there may be scenic cruising in some of these areas, I just don't know.

About an hour away.

Archived