Half Day in LA

TheDee

I've read lots of posts on what to do in LA, but being from the Boston area, I really don't have a clear idea of what is "doable" in the time that we have. We should be at the Renaissance Marriot at LAX around noon on a Saturday. We leave for Tahiti on Sunday. We don't want to rent a car, (our car service is picking us up at 4:00am at home, so we might not be on top of things to drive ourselves around!). Maybe use a car service or taxi to take us to a nearby beach area late in the afternoon for an early dinner at a seaside resturant. Any sugestions for beach areas - Venice, Manhattan, Redondo?? Or resturants?

Linda :-)

Hello,

I would not hesitate to rent a car. Driving in Los Angeles is like driving everywhere else only more so and this you can handle. There are some very interesting and fun areas to visit that are relatively near LAX and your hotel for you to see. Places such as Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, Playa Del Rey and Santa Monica are easily accessible but you need a car. The places mentioned above can be reached using non freeway streets. There are taxis but they are expensive.

Take the car rental shuttle from the airport to your hotel, check in (and make sure that the hotel has free or reasonably priced parking) and off you go. Santa Monica is especially nice to see. On Sunday return the car to Lax. From LAX the best way to go to the cruise terminals is by Super Shuttle.

I've read lots of posts on what to do in LA, but being from the Boston area, I really don't have a clear idea of what is "doable" in the time that we have. We should be at the Renaissance Marriot at LAX around noon on a Saturday. We leave for Tahiti on Sunday. We don't want to rent a car, (our car service is picking us up at 4:00am at home, so we might not be on top of things to drive ourselves around!). Maybe use a car service or taxi to take us to a nearby beach area late in the afternoon for an early dinner at a seaside resturant. Any sugestions for beach areas - Venice, Manhattan, Redondo?? Or resturants?

Hey Linda!

Well, your plan isn't the most ideal as it stands at this point.

You don't want to rent a car (completely understandable considering the time change and all), but you have LOTS of time to have a nice dinner and beach near LAX.

I'm going to start off with other hotel suggestions, that will get you near LAX, but also walking distance to everything you could want or need.

You're most likely going to spend as much if not more money taxi-ing around places from there to get anywhere good.

So here are my suggestions for a better situation all around:

#1 Marina Del Ray Marriott

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/laxmb-marina-del-rey-marriott/

If you HAVE to stay at a Marriott, then at least choose that one.

It's 5 minutes or so from LAX, but you are then in Marina Del Ray with TONS of great restaurants in walking distance.

Not to mention a view of Mother's Beach, and walking distance to Venice Beach.

10 Million times better than that LAX Marriott.

#2 If you need "free" LAX shuttles...

Foghorn Inn

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=13581085

Free shuttle to and from LAX, Mother's Beach view from your room, and right next door to The Original Cheesecake Factory right on the beach as well.

If you want another option, then head down the street a bit to the seaside Charthouse.

#3 Other option nearby is Jamaica Bay Inn

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=679886

These are the best and easiest you are going to get for your time frame, tons to do around the hotel, restaurants, beaches, etc.

You are technically making more work for yourself by staying in a hotel right at LAX.

Let me know if you have any more questions.:cool:

If you're staying at an airport hotel because of a very early flight, I guess the best thing to do is plan to spend money on a taxi to get you to a decent area for hanging out (if you're going to be here between October and June, I would rethink the beach unless you plan to leave your street clothes on and stay out of the water) and dinner. Once you get back to the hotel, you'll probably would just hunker in for the night so you should be well-fed before you go back to your room.

Thanks everyone for all the great info. We leave next Saturday, July 25th, so we should make a final decision really soon - like tomorrow?!

Thanks everyone for all the great info. We leave next Saturday, July 25th, so we should make a final decision really soon - like tomorrow?!

Linda!

Let me know if I can help you further with hotel options.

You have plenty of time to get one of the hotels I've mentioned above, that will be close to LAX for your flight on Sunday...

But also have you right at a beach (beautiful weather for that right now) and lots of great restaurants overlooking the water while you are there.

Those will also get you close enough to walk to Venice Beach and do some "tourist strolling" and/or souvenir shopping while you are here!

I can't stress to you enough that a hotel right at LAX is not your best option.

You can enjoy yourselves so much better, at one the hotels I mentioned above and still be close for your flight on Sunday...

PS One more to check would be The Inn at Venice Beach:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=12754774

You'd have to pay for a taxi to and from LAX (only about 5 to 10 minutes away), but then you'd save all that on any sightseeing, taxi-ing to restaurant costs.;)

Archived