Shanghai Bangkok

Aussie One

I will be looking at booking a cruise Bangkok, Shanghai, or visa versa june to august 2010. living in Oz the cruise brochures take a long time to get down here.

All infomation about cruise lines that do this cruise and where to find reviews of this Asia cruise would be welcome thank you Grumphy

I have a Shanghai to Bangkok cruise scheduled for Jan 2010 on Ocean Princess (16 day), and I took a quick look at princess.com for you. It looks to me that they do that particular itinerary approximately Nov through Feb and then begin various other itineraries in Asia, some of which begin in Australia.

We did a Bangkok to Beijing and then continued on to Alaska. We went with Princess (Diamond Princess) and were very happy but you will get far better pricing booking with a US TA than booking here in Australia - plus you will have refundable deposits.

Yes, we are spending a couple nights in Shanghai, but have not started researching the hotels for that stay yet. I'll be happy to share once I know something.

Question for those flying in early and not staying with Princess ---Has anyone researched methods of getting to the ship in Shanghai?

Yes, we are spending a couple nights in Shanghai, but have not started researching the hotels for that stay yet. I'll be happy to share once I know something.

Question for those flying in early ---Has anyone researched methods of getting to the ship in Shanghai?

Hi Pianolady. We are going on the ocean on Jan 19th Shanghai-Bangkok...Also looking for hotel info other than Princess but need to be able to figure out transfer to the ship. I suspect there are a bunch of people who would be interested. Most be some old Asia hands out here some place. Have you looked at hotels any? We are staying 2 days extra in Shanghai....several more in Bangkok...From what I can find out, the 4 Seasons is primarily a business hotel in Shanghai and not an easy place to walk...Necessary to take taxi's to anyplace....but then maybe a tazi might be good after a 32 hr. flight....YIKES.....:eek:

Hi Laughing Husky and BrandonJordan,

I called Princess and they gave me this address for Shanghai port. I have been unable to map it so far. I only tried a couple of sites, though.

Wai Gao Qiao #5 Terminal

999 Gangian Road

Shanghai

45 minutes from Ritz Carlton; 40 minutes from airport. A Princess transfer is $39, but that would be only from the airport; unless you are with a Princess pre-cruise package. I assume we will use a taxi, unless our hotel has transportation.

I did learn there is a new cruise terminal being completed this summer in the north Bund area of Shanghai. This source indicated larger ships are unable to access this new terminal because of a low bridge !! I wonder if our smaller ship will be able to use it next year. That would be convenient.

I have just started research for Shanghai and I think we might stay in the Bund area. We will decide soon, I think, and I will let you know. We are a 4-generation family traveling together (ages 3 to almost 90) and probably will not be staying at the luxury hotels; to give you an idea of the kind of info you will receive from me :-) More of a medium grade hotel.

More another time.

We also will be looking at a medium grade hotel, and I was thinking that the Bund would be a good place. I thought about the ease of a shuttle transfer from the airport, but then decided that a taxi from town would be easier and probably cheaper....My email is jfoster209@aol.com if you want to email me privately. There doesn't seem to be much on the roll call as of yet. I have all my air booked with 3 days in Shanghai and 4 in Bangkok.

Check TripAdvisor.com for some info on hotels and things to do, etc. Shanghai being a financial center is more expensive than Bangkok from what I have seen. I also saw that the avg. temp in Jan in Shanghai is 40 F. Makes it a little cool when you are from mid-coastal area of Calif. with moderate temps all year.

If you go here:

http://www.smartshanghai.com/maps/smsh_hotelmap.php

you will find an interactive map of Shanghai and the new cruise terminal appears to be about where number 16 of the hotel is located.

You can see the construction going on if you pull up Google Earth or LIve Eatch.

There is a bridge just down river from the construction site, but do not know if that is the bridge referred to or not.

go here: http://www.travelchinaguide.com/map/shanghai/shanghai.htm

there is a map, click on the map and it enlarges, if you find The Bund, then to the right you will see International Cruise Terminal, this is the new one.

this might be a better map of hotel locations: http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocalMaps-g308272-Shanghai-Area.html

• 2 weeks later...
We did a Bangkok to Beijing and then continued on to Alaska. We went with Princess (Diamond Princess) and were very happy but you will get far better pricing booking with a US TA than booking here in Australia - plus you will have refundable deposits.

Hi Miss Jolly,

My wife and I are booked on the same Bangkok to Beijing cruise next March...and have booked with a US agent, which should prove much more cost effective if the Aussie dollar doesn't dive against the USD.

My question relates to the visas for China and Vietnam. The information is a bit confusing and often relates to US citizens. Since the cruise goes to Hong Kong, Shanghai and Beijing, will we need a single, double or multiple entry visa?

Also I have heard that Princess organises the Vietnam visas but an Australian Travel agent said you have to get one here prior to going (at $72 per passport), so I would be pleased if you (or another Aussie who has done a similar cruise) could clear up the confusion.

Any other information on this cruise would also be gratefully received; we are really looking forward to it.

Best wishes for a great cruise with your extended family. How wonderful!

I booked the Ocean Princess 16 night cruise Shanghai to Singapore yesterday. Sailing after you on March 20th.

I would be pleased if you could share your hotel bookings when you get them done. We too would like to stay in the Bund area. I was thinking of bidding on Priceline but the area on their map seems very large. They divide Shanghai into three areas. compare this to New York City which they divide into about 12 areas.

Sandra

Hi Miss Jolly,

My wife and I are booked on the same Bangkok to Beijing cruise next March...and have booked with a US agent, which should prove much more cost effective if the Aussie dollar doesn't dive against the USD.

My question relates to the visas for China and Vietnam. The information is a bit confusing and often relates to US citizens. Since the cruise goes to Hong Kong, Shanghai and Beijing, will we need a single, double or multiple entry visa?

Also I have heard that Princess organises the Vietnam visas but an Australian Travel agent said you have to get one here prior to going (at $72 per passport), so I would be pleased if you (or another Aussie who has done a similar cruise) could clear up the confusion.

Any other information on this cruise would also be gratefully received; we are really looking forward to it.

Hi Merapi,

We have had several cruises to Vietnam and the Cruise Line has arranged for visa.

For Hong Kong, Australians do not require visa for tourist visit. So looks like you only need a double entry visa for China.

Check out this site for all visa requirements www.visalink.com.au

Cheers

Supercattonk

Hi Merapi,

We have had several cruises to Vietnam and the Cruise Line has arranged for visa.

For Hong Kong, Australians do not require visa for tourist visit. So looks like you only need a double entry visa for China.

Cheers

Supercattonk

Thanks for that Supercattonk - your explanation clears things up nicely.

Cheers.

Hi Merapi,

Cheers

Supercattonk

Thanks for that Supercattonk - your explanation clears things up nicely. One question - how much was the Vietnam visa?

Cheers.

Thanks for that Supercattonk - your explanation clears things up nicely. One question - how much was the Vietnam visa?

Cheers.

Hi Merapi,

If you look at Visalink site they want AUD$191 for a multi entry one month tourist. BUT as mentioned we have been there with, Princess, P&O UK, and Gemini and we have never paid for Visa entry to Vietnam, in fact ships instructions said they would arrange and I'll bet they didn't pay $191!! so can only assume the ship takes responcibilty to account for the passengers. The only time we have been told to arrange your own visa was for China.

Cheers, Supercattonk

I will be looking at booking a cruise Bangkok, Shanghai, or visa versa june to august 2010. living in Oz the cruise brochures take a long time to get down here.

All infomation about cruise lines that do this cruise and where to find reviews of this Asia cruise would be welcome thank you Grumphy

Please be aware that the summer is the MOST miserable time to be in SE Asia. I had never been in Vietnam, Cambodia or Thailand until an "emergency" trip 2 summers ago (I am in the area 3 or 4 times per year for business). I thought I would die from the heat and humidity. Most miserable business trip I have ever taken. Something to consider before you book.

Hi brandonjordan and laughing huskey

Sandydownunder, thank you for your good wishes!

Hello to the rest of you, too!

Right now we are holding reservations at the Astor House Hotel in Shanghai. It sounds like a nice place to stay in spite of the down side of not being real close to the metro. We have to work out our schedule and transportation, but we may be using taxi anyway. Many of our group are good walkers, but we also have limited time there. Two nights - 1 1/2 days.

We contacted the hotel directly for our reservation. Hopefully that works!

In Bangkok we are staying 3 nights at the Bangkok Christian Guesthouse, and then going to another location in Thailand (yet to be determined) and then coming back to Bangkok for one night before flying out.

Looking forward to chatting and meeting some of you in person.

Thanks so much for the information about the Bangkok Christian Guesthouse, Pianolady. We, too are on the cruise from Shanghai to Bangkok Jan 19th. In fact we are doing back to back starting on Jan 3rd on Bangkok. Having looked at their website, that looks like a wonderful place to stay.

We currently have reservations at the Marriott in Pattaya Jan 1 to Jan 3 and at the Bangkok Marriott Resort and Spa Feb 4 - Feb 6. We may consider changing one end or the other to the Guesthouse. Was it difficult to make reservations there? Do they serve meals on the property? How many are in your group?

Out of curiosity, will you be traveling to other mission sites during the remainder of your stay in Thailand? We are trying to include visits with other missionaries during our cruises.

Looking forward to any information that you can share.

Hi mmyorkston,

Our group numbers 13 so far (all family). We had no trouble booking via email with the Bangkok Christian Guesthouse. I do have to be careful from which email address I write. I find my att.net addresses often will not receive from certain overseas addresses. So, I use a gmail address.

A breakfast is included; I don't know what kind. They do serve meals to the conferences booked there, but I don't know that meals are available to the rest of us. However, there are many types of eating establishments nearby; also a large park. It appears there are at least small green areas on the guesthouse grounds, which will be nice for a 3 year old. Also a library. An English speaking church is not far. Public transportation is very close. Rooms are air conditioned. Great location.

The plan for Thailand has been to go south from Bangkok, but we have not yet studied exactly where; except that we do have a return flight from Phuket to Bangkok right before flying home.

We will probably visit folk in Bangkok, but don't have plans to see anyone else.

How nice you are doing the back-to-back, and flying in and out of Bangkok is great. I'd love to do that, but we are already to be gone quite awhile and many of our group must get back to work.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Hi Merapi,

If you look at Visalink site they want AUD$191 for a multi entry one month tourist. BUT as mentioned we have been there with, Princess, P&O UK, and Gemini and we have never paid for Visa entry to Vietnam, in fact ships instructions said they would arrange and I'll bet they didn't pay $191!! so can only assume the ship takes responcibilty to account for the passengers. The only time we have been told to arrange your own visa was for China.

Cheers, Supercattonk

Thanks for that Supercattonk - it sounds much better if the Cruiseline organises things.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are from the US and will be taking the 16-night Shanghai to Bangkok Princess Cruise departing Dec 18, 2009. It seems that most of you will be taking one of the later sailings after us, so I will make sure I take lots of notes on the ports of call, best ways to get from the ports, and any other ship tips, after I come back in early January.

I am currently exploring visas and found that we only need a single-entry visa for China and can buy the one for Vietnam on the ship. I was quoted by a *****.com manager (where I booked my cruise) that the visa to vietnam is very inexpensive -- just "a few dollars." However, the visa to China looks like it is between $169 USD - $217 USD per person depending on which visa agency I go with. Most agencies will only accept your visa application within 90 days of cruise departure, which I've just hit (yeah!). I'm trying to decide if I should go with the Visa agency that the Princess cruiseline recommends, Zierer Visa Services ("ZVS") 01.866.788.1100, or with another agency which seems to be less expensive. Has anyone used ZVS for any visas in the past?

My husband and I really want to see the Great Wall, so we decided to fly to Beijing first for 4 days before flying to Shanghai to pick up the cruise boat. We're staying in the Courtyard Marriott right down the street from Tiananmen Square (the only international hotel chain right in the center of the tourist area) but in Shanghai we booked the JW Marriott (with our points) as we read one of the guidebooks said it was one of the best hotels in Shanghai in terms of amenities and locations. But I have not booked our hotel for the one night in Bangkok and would appreciate suggestions. We are Marriott rewards members, so if there is a Marriott of a convenient location in Bangkok, that would be ideal.

I also noticed that the shore excursion booklet isn't fully prepared yet for the cruise, but I did find some information on the princess website for some ports of call. 2 or 3 of them have a 30 min - 2 hour drive into the "city" from the port, but that's to be expected given our ports of call. But if anyone has suggestions for what to see in each port, please let me know! We're really winging it on this trip as we don't speak the language and don't know anyone who has traveled to many of these cities.

I look forward to continuing to read this message boards for everyone's advice! Looking forward to the cruise!

Hi Mohican Fan,

You can get your China Visa on your own from a really good company called Washington Visa and Passport Services. Just look them up on the web. I have used them quite a bit. Being a US Citizen it does not cost you more to get a double entry China Visa. So I would request one just to be safe. Princess will bill your shipboard account $30.00 per person for your Vietnam Visas.

In Bangkok there is the Bangkok Marriott Spa and Resort right on the river. Really nice hotel, and also a Marriott Courtyard right near the Skytrain. You may want to check those out. We are leaving on the Diamond Princess doing Bangkok to Beijing on October 21, 2009. Hopefully I can answer more questions when we return! ;)

Archived