Athens: Possible Itinerary

KK18

We will be in port from 8am to 6pm on a Sunday in September and this is the itinerary we're planning. I put this together based on other CCer experiences so if you all have suggestions to improve, please share.

Walk from dock to Green Line/Electric Train based on this map:

Picture1.png

Take the train to Thissio stop and walk up to Temple of Hephaestus area, then through the ancient agora and Thisseo Park.

Tour the sites of the acropolis and then go down to the Acropolis Museum.

Go through the Athens gate area to the Temple of Zeus and then to the Plaka area.

Have lunch and do some shopping and then metro back to the port.

My understanding is a 12eu ticket will get you admission to all these sites. Where would we buy the ticket based on our path of entrance? Will the entrances be easy to find when we get off the train?

How much time should I estimate for each attraction? What about for a taxi back to port instead of Metro?

Thanks in advance!

Temple of Hephaestus area, the ancient agora and Thissio Park are the same place: ancient agora..

When you go out of Thision metro station you will see a big board with some directions.. one of these is "Ancient Agora" or "Acropolis Area"... the gate is 50 meters from metro exit.. there you must purchase a 12 euros ticket for all sites except Acropolis museum (1 euro ticket until end 2009)...

about times.. if we go together we need a day:p, if you go with another person maybe you need 4-5 hours... for normal tour you will need 5-6 hours..

The route you are following is essentially the Antiquities Promenade. The street is blocked off into a pedestrian walkway. The way you are going works well, or you can go to the Akropoli station and do it exactly in reverse, which lets you finish by walking through the Ancient Agora to the Tower of the Winds and the Roman Agora.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/athens.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

The route you are following is essentially the Antiquities Promenade. The street is blocked off into a pedestrian walkway. The way you are going works well, or you can go to the Akropoli station and do it exactly in reverse, which lets you finish by walking through the Ancient Agora to the Tower of the Winds and the Roman Agora.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/athens.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Thanks Mike, I definitely looked at your route and pictures a lot when planning this route :)

How long do you think it would take? We're doing this route b/c we want to end in the Plaka for lunch and some light shopping. Do you think what would work? Are there guides at the Acropolis and how much do they cost? Would you recommend one?

Thanks again and sorry for the barrage of questions!

Thanks Mike, I definitely looked at your route and pictures a lot when planning this route :)

How long do you think it would take? We're doing this route b/c we want to end in the Plaka for lunch and some light shopping. Do you think what would work? Are there guides at the Acropolis and how much do they cost? Would you recommend one?

Thanks again and sorry for the barrage of questions!

Of course, how long it takes depends on how much time you spend in each spot. We basically spent about four and a half hours on the route you saw. walking slowly and stopping often. Note that this did NOT include the Acropolis as we did that on a previous trip. Also the museum was not open so we did not do that.

There are guides at the gate to the Acropolis. We did not use one so I can't tell you the price. There are lots of good detailed guidebooks so I don't know if a guide is really necessary.

Frankly I think you could easily spend six to seven hours doing the whole trip leisurely, or perhaps four to five hours if you move swiftly. Trying to do it in less time just means less time in the museum and the other sites. Just across from the temple of Zeus is a place called Plaka's Gate that is the beginning of the Plaka and has some wonderful street side restaurants.

You could also consider taking the Metro to Monastriki (sp?) square for the huge flea market which is great shopping!

Have a GREAT cruise!

Archived