Alaska baggage allowance question - leaving this week!

Hi everyone,

More panic setting in . . .

Our pre-cruise information from Regent says the following:

"BAGGAGE:

As your baggage will travel on many different modes of transportation . . .amentities such as elevators and gaggage handling are limited at some locations in Alaska, we suggest you only carry one bag per person while on the land tour. Your tour Director will arrange to ship the rest of your luggage on to your cruise ship.

The current baggage allowance for commercial flights in Alaska is 44 lbs. It is the guest's responsibility to verify weight limits . . ."

Well . . .

I've verified w/ all the airlines we are flying that the weight limit for 1st class travel (we booked our own) is 70 lbs. Even if it were coach, the limits on all airlines we are travelling on are 50 lbs. Is there some fine print about Alaska I'm not seeing???

How do we take 1 bag pp w/ us for Friday-Wed (day we get in until day ship sails & we can send out laundry)?? Has anyone actually taken the bags they've checked (OK, so 1 for each of us) plus their carry-ons w/ them on this portion???

Many thanks . . .

Hi everyone,

More panic setting in . . .

Our pre-cruise information from Regent says the following:

"BAGGAGE:

As your baggage will travel on many different modes of transportation . . .amentities such as elevators and gaggage handling are limited at some locations in Alaska, we suggest you only carry one bag per person while on the land tour. Your tour Director will arrange to ship the rest of your luggage on to your cruise ship.

The current baggage allowance for commercial flights in Alaska is 44 lbs. It is the guest's responsibility to verify weight limits . . ."

Well . . .

I've verified w/ all the airlines we are flying that the weight limit for 1st class travel (we booked our own) is 70 lbs. Even if it were coach, the limits on all airlines we are travelling on are 50 lbs. Is there some fine print about Alaska I'm not seeing???

How do we take 1 bag pp w/ us for Friday-Wed (day we get in until day ship sails & we can send out laundry)?? Has anyone actually taken the bags they've checked (OK, so 1 for each of us) plus their carry-ons w/ them on this portion???

Many thanks . . .

One word: Woolite.

Don't worry about it, is all I can say. If you are flying FC, and baggage allowance is 70 lbs., then they have seen it before. What is quoted is that they will take extra bags to the ship? I would not stress over this. You can surely deal with 4-5 days pre-cruise with 44 lbs, no? That's a lot of clothes, even without Woolite! Unless you need a different pair of boots and extra coats! Believe me, they have dealt with it before. Relax, and enjoy your cruise AND pre-cruise! When you arrive you can deal with how they want to handle your luggage.

This is pretty standard practice for all the cruiselines that offer pre- or post-cruise land packages in Alaska. It's primarily based on the very simple fact that you WON'T need any of your Formal/Informal wear on the land portion, so why lug it all over Alaska with you!!! Pack what you need for the 4 or 5 days in one suitcase. Regent will take the rest and (since it sounds like you are doing a pre-cruise) the next time you see it will be in your cabin. As much as possible, try and keep the one bag for the land portion below 44lbs though.

As an FYI - the cruiselines always quote the lowest known weight limit for flights they book. It's called erring on the side of caution. If your carrier(s) have given you higher numbers, those are the ones that count. Don't sweat it and enjoy your trip.

This is pretty standard practice for all the cruiselines that offer pre- or post-cruise land packages in Alaska. It's primarily based on the very simple fact that you WON'T need any of your Formal/Informal wear on the land portion, so why lug it all over Alaska with you!!! Pack what you need for the 4 or 5 days in one suitcase. Regent will take the rest and (since it sounds like you are doing a pre-cruise) the next time you see it will be in your cabin. As much as possible, try and keep the one bag for the land portion below 44lbs though.

As an FYI - the cruiselines always quote the lowest known weight limit for flights they book. It's called erring on the side of caution. If your carrier(s) have given you higher numbers, those are the ones that count. Don't sweat it and enjoy your trip.

Makes sense. Thanks for all the info.

Just wondering - why is it important to keep the land portion suitcase under 44 lbs?

Just wondering - why is it important to keep the land portion suitcase under 44 lbs?

This gives some idea, I think - http://thetravelinsider.info/travelaccessories/airlinecheckedluggageallowances.htm

I am guessing that it is a "catch all"... 44lbs generally doesn't apply to Europe (we are usually 50lbs over here - accept for the REAL budget airlines), but I believe it does apply to South America....

So rather than be specific to you (i.e. an American travelling domestically to Alaska), Regent is addressing everyone (including "Americans travelling to South America" and "South Americans travelling to Alaska").

Boo

This gives some idea, I think - http://thetravelinsider.info/travelaccessories/airlinecheckedluggageallowances.htm

I am guessing that it is a "catch all"... 44lbs generally doesn't apply to Europe (we are usually 50lbs over here - accept for the REAL budget airlines), but I believe it does apply to South America....

So rather than be specific to you (i.e. an American travelling domestically to Alaska), Regent is addressing everyone (including "Americans travelling to South America" and "South Americans travelling to Alaska").

Boo

Ah, very helpful, thank you

Ah, very helpful, thank you

Without knowing your itinerary (and not having a Regent brochure in my home office at the moment) if there happens to be any kind of flight involved between locations, it will most likely be on a smaller plane. In that case the 44lb limit might come into play. Beyond that, I think the link Boo Boo provided covers it nicely.

Have a great trip!

Without knowing your itinerary (and not having a Regent brochure in my home office at the moment) if there happens to be any kind of flight involved between locations, it will most likely be on a smaller plane. In that case the 44lb limit might come into play. Beyond that, I think the link Boo Boo provided covers it nicely.

Have a great trip!

Thanks - I did wonder about that.

We're going DC-Minneapolis-Anchorage. The Minnepolis leg is 5 hours, so I can't imagine it being a small plane. Right?!

Thanks - I did wonder about that.

We're going DC-Minneapolis-Anchorage. The Minnepolis leg is 5 hours, so I can't imagine it being a small plane. Right?!

Actually I was referring to the possibility of a small plane flight on the land portion of your pre-cruise trip. Since you are going into MSP I would hazard a guess you're flying Northwest and I can assure you that will not be a "small" plane in the sense I was referring to!:D

Actually I was referring to the possibility of a small plane flight on the land portion of your pre-cruise trip. Since you are going into MSP I would hazard a guess you're flying Northwest and I can assure you that will not be a "small" plane in the sense I was referring to!:D

Exactly! And we don't have any small plane flights during the land portion (well, none are planned, anyway).

We are not taking a pre or post cruise option through Regent. In that instance would be limited only by the airlines regs for first class (number of bags and weight limit)?

Thanks,

jj

That's correct. Once it gets to the ship, unless they need to rent a crane to get it onboard, Regent doesn't care how much your bags weigh!:D

I'm sure you will be fine. Anticipation is one of the best parts of a cruise. Just don't let this blip stress you out is all I'm saying!

Exactly! Save the stressing for the dress code and the availability of Splenda =)

Exactly! Save the stressing for the dress code and the availability of Splenda =)

That's funny!

I did my fair share of dress code stressing early on, so I think I have a handle on it. Socks & sandals, crewneck golf shirts, and worn jeans for formal informal country club nite ;)

I'm focused on that Chocolate Russian . . .

Archived