4 hours to kill in Rome. Suggestions?

After our cruise aboard the Grand Princess, my family will find ourselves at Civitavecchia on the morning of 6th August 05 with a long day ahead of us. I haven't been able to secure flights home until 17.20hrs (my in-laws) and 20.55hrs (the remaining 6 of us).

Assuming we left the ship by 9.30 a.m. we won't need to be at the airport until about 4 p.m. We already have a minibus transfer to the airport booked, so I'm sure I could ask to extend that booking to include a tour of some sort, but what?

Has anyone any suggestions on how we might spend our time.

Thanks in anticipation.

Laura

Hi Laura,

It's me... Liz.

You could have your driver hit all the highlights before he takes you to the airport and/or if you'd like a more tour ..tour.. I can suggest a tour of the Coloseum and Forum with a guide. Bill and I did used Jason of Vino Rosso and enjoyed it so much that next year when we go with our family we're doing it again, along with a St. Peters tour. This is a walking tour. He's very good and makes you feel like you were there way back when. After the tour I'd have your driver take you all to the Pantheon and then just walk around over to Piazza Narvona.

Merry Christmas and have a great New year.

Liz :D

Liz,

Thank you SO MUCH for that. Will print it off and perhaps send it to my transfer 'chappie' to see if he can incorporate something like that into my booking.

Have been sitting here (for what seems months now) waiting for my flights to be released. Had been hoping for a lunchtime flight home, but they appear to have cancelled/discontinued that flight on the 31st July... just 6 days before I need it!! Isn't that always the way... some also call it "Laura's Law" as opposed to "Murphy's". ;)

Sending also my good wishes to you for a wonderful Christmas and New Year.

Laura

YMMV, but our experience over sev'l trips in/out of Italian airports is that you need to allow a minimum of 2 hours pre-international flight home. Getting through all of the various security, immigration, customs, etc., not to mention the simple act of checking in, always seems quirkily ineffecient and extraordinarily long.

Cheers.

Artemis,

You had me stumpted with YMMV (until I looked it up) :D Thank you for the heads up re check-in times/procedures in Italy. Now I will definitely make sure we are at the airport two hours before my in-laws first flight - it didn't occur to me things may be as lengthy as you suggest. My next post will have to be how to kill 5.5 hours at CIA Airport in Rome - which is how long I will be waiting for my own flight home later on that evening!!

I hate flying so luckily we are only taking a short hop back to the UK and check-in actually closes 40 minutes before departure. My own extended wait will give me plenty of time to pluck up some dutch courage... or the chance to bore everyone around me with tales of a great cruise (fingers crossed).

Laura

Archived